all posts post new thread

Bodyweight how much twist is too much? (OAPU form check)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

hello everyone i've been working on these for a while now but would like some feedback regarding the inevitable twisting.

in fact any feedback would be appreciated on technique.

as per form guidelines, here's a couple videos

baggy shirt in first video kind of hides twisting.. took a second video..

Your fine with the twisting. However you do "snake-up" while you press up (i.e. your upper body moves before your hips instead of at the same time). You do it more I think with your right arm versus left.

Your fine with the twisting. However you do "snake-up" while you press up (i.e. your upper body moves before your hips instead of at the same time). You do it more I think with your right arm versus left.
+1
I see it exactly like Nathan. Not much twisting going on, but you're not staying planked.
I don't train the OAPU, but years ago when I was super weak and just started to train I had the same issues with just regular pushups. It's most likely a lack of tricep strength.

Thank you sir i will try to stay planked a little better in the hips

+1
I see it exactly like Nathan. Not much twisting going on, but you're not staying planked.
I don't train the OAPU, but years ago when I was super weak and just started to train I had the same issues with just regular pushups. It's most likely a lack of tricep strength.

Thank you i'll do to warm up my triceps with bands a little before hand and see if that helps

That looks really good to me man, congrats! That's some great work right there ^_^

sometimes I think of giving up the OAPU but there is a thirst within me to do better at it.

I do feel some soreness in my shoulders and armpits if I do more than a couple of easy sets per day. kind of worries me.

have taken up indian clubs as a restorative art to combat it

No reason to consider giving up the OAPU: it looks really good.
As the guys already said, a little snaking up but this will def get bettet as you keep practicing and getting stronger.
Here are some tips: get stronger abs by doing hanging leg raises/hs situps/hardstyle breathing.
As for stronger triceps, you might like this one: How to Build Your Slow Fibers, Part II

Bonus tip nr. 1: try to place your hand just slighthly more forward, as it looks that you overextend your wrists (only very slightly)

Bonus tip nr. 2: keep your head and neck neutral and do not look up. Look straight down. This will activate your abs and quads and help you in staying plancked. This might work instantanly.

No reason to consider giving up the OAPU: it looks really good.
As the guys already said, a little snaking up but this will def get bettet as you keep practicing and getting stronger.
Here are some tips: get stronger abs by doing hanging leg raises/hs situps/hardstyle breathing.
As for stronger triceps, you might like this one: How to Build Your Slow Fibers, Part II

Marc, thank you for the wonderful advice as usual. I will try out the triceps program, looks perfect with NW! You have surely improved my learning of the OAPU!

Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
To echo @Marc 's excellent advice related to hand placement:
when you hand is flat on the floor, you can try to drive the fingers outwards, while the base of the palm is driven inwards. Visually, the hand does not move (it remains flat, pointing forwards). However, this will bring your elbow inwards...and will activate your lats. Plus it obliges to keep the arm close to the rib cage

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Jak Nieuwenhuis thanks for your kind words. I am glad to help. Really try to lock your neck in neutral this will help a lot!
@pet' s advice is great, too. Thing about pulling yourself down into the ground and theb pushing the ground down as you come up

Hello,

If we consider bodyweight exercise, the HS side plank is also an excellent lat builder. This is really "lat oriented".

Then, most exercises use the lat as stabilizers (but focus more or the rectus though): planche training, bent arm planche, front lever

Floor wipers are also very good for abs (including lats). An even harder variation is doing them by hanging a bar.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom