all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How often do you train with kettlebells?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Every day? Every other day? I’m Currently doing a double kettlebell program that calls for 3 days a week
Everyday I'm off of work which is about three times every week and a half.

On somedays I'll keep a heavier than press kettlebell by my front door and carry it around when I get in from work as a variety day activity.

It depends. If we're talking about just using KBs for an exercise or two (rather than a full KB workout/training session), then I guess I probably average 2-3x/week.
There are stretches where I really want to push cardio work, and I'll be doing continuous (lighter) KB snatches 3-5x/week for 30-60mins a pop. I don't always make it happen, but I try to do something like this at least once a week or once every other week.

Aim for 3 times per week, second run through of ROP but with a 32. Much less militant about hitting it on the right day this time, I just do the workouts in order and if it takes more than a 7 day block then so be it. I’m working, studying and tired. It’s not worth the stress to workout at 0500 or 2200 after a full day, so if it slips 24-48 hours then whatever!

3 kettlebell workouts a week on the same day as 2-3 barbell workouts (practices really) and 3 BJJ classes. All on a MWF currently. With T-Th bring for recovery.

I’ll be changing to a 3 barbell grind days, 3 kettlebell ballistic days M-Sat, with 4-5 BJJ days M-F in a few weeks.

Hopefully my recovery will be on point, because I’m currently taxed with 3-4hr days. Still recovering but let’s just say I sleep well on the weekends.

Every day? Every other day? I’m Currently doing a double kettlebell program that calls for 3 days a week
2-4x per week is a great baseline. But it depends. On volume, intensity, your recovery ability, your general strain, other acticities (strength, endurance, sports), general stress levels...

For example, I have sometimes done 9 KB sessions in a week, spread over 6 days. But that was a way of managing recovery, as overall volume was still medium: 300-360 swings, and 15-18 TGUs per week, swings and TGUs split into seperate sessions. This allowed me to stay fresh and emphasize strength development.

This week I have done more volume in fewer sessions, emphasizing strength/power endurance.

Usually almost every day to some extent. I'd rather train something every day than destroy myself every other day.
Currently doing 3 days of "the giant" and 2 days with some low volume squats per week, and fill inn the blanks with some swings and TGU.

Edit: clarified a bit.

Last edited:
My answer depends on what else I'm doing. E.g., if I'm in an off cycle, I might use kettlebells every day as the mainstay of my training. But if I'm preparing for a barbell powerlifting competition, then the kettlebell work takes a back seat.

I'd venture to say that most strength and conditioning programs either don't want you to do anything besides what they prescribe or they give guidance as to what else you can do along with the program. Programs can certainly be designed for anything from once a week to every day, so there isn't one right answer.

Consider attending PlanStrong to learn more about program design.

-S-

Never! I’ve never touched a kettlebell and don’t think I ever will. I place kettlebells in the category of ‘new-fangled things‘ (along with the squat, legal marijuana, cryptocurrency and euthanasia) that I personally can do without (although they might be perfectly fine for other people). I have pondered this resistance to change and I think it comes down to my Neanderthal DNA. Apparently the average person has about 3% Neanderthal DNA, but my father had a very expensive DNA test that reported 6% Neanderthal DNA. You can’t get more ‘old school‘ than that!

As often as your entry levels will allow. Don’t worry about over work - if you start to feel tired back off for a few days. Strength is a skill that must be practiced.

As often as I can. Lame or cheeky as that sounds, I find different programs and different parts of programs can affect you differently. It is important to evaluate your motivation and energy levels and adjust (it is hard to be honest with yourself, as we have been conditioned by lots of things to think that Harder is Better).

I think it depends a lot on the program. I was doing them 3x per week, through phases 1 and 2 of Strong. But now that I am midway through phase 3, I found myself feeling tired and unmotivated. So I made the switch from Deadlifts + Strong 3x per week (Su, Tu, Th) to Deadlifts x2 per week and Strong 2x per week on different days (Sa, Su, Tu, Th).

Now I have enough energy to also throw in a little Simple and Sinister on off days, usually doing the swings and a couple get ups till I start to sweat. Soon as I feel any sweat or I feel energized I stop.

Never! I’ve never touched a kettlebell and don’t think I ever will. I place kettlebells in the category of ‘new-fangled things‘ (along with the squat, legal marijuana, cryptocurrency and euthanasia) that I personally can do without (although they might be perfectly fine for other people). I have pondered this resistance to change and I think it comes down to my Neanderthal DNA. Apparently the average person has about 3% Neanderthal DNA, but my father had a very expensive DNA test that reported 6% Neanderthal DNA. You can’t get more ‘old school‘ than that!
Luke, I'm told that the elliptical machine will quickly rid you of that Neanderthal DNA, along with any pesky testosterone that may be clouding your thinking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom