all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How Often Should One Stretch?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jaku

Level 4 Valued Member
I've read in certain places that static stretching in particular isn't the way to go.

In Super Joints, Active flexibility seems to be where it's at when it comes to achieving flexibility that is backed by strength.

But I can't help but think that there is still some value in static stretching as well.

The question is how often should one do active flexibility and static flexibility each week separate from cool-downs such as in S&S? I don't want to overstretch.

Currently, I am trying to open my hips and hamstrings more for lotus pose (for yoga and meditation) and a split. But I'm also looking to build my strength in leg holds (if you hold a front or sidekick in place using your muscles).

@jaku, how often to starting depends on what sort of stretching you're going to do.

There's nothing wrong with static stretching - it's still good for you, but it's not the best thing for improving your flexibility. It's still great, e.g., to restore muscles to relaxed length after exercise, and for other purposes, too.

If you've read Super Joints, be sure also to read Relax Into Stretch - the whole will be more than the sum of the parts in this case.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom