all posts post new thread

Off-Topic How privileged are we?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yeah... it's hard to say how it will all shake out. Perhaps there will be a shift away from gym / club / class type training and more towards bodyweight / KB / locomotive endurance/ etc training that people can do in relative isolation.

For the most part my training has been minimally impacted (if at all) by the current situation, and (knock on wood) I can't see that changing significantly. Sure... there are a few things I haven't been able to do, but I have lost zero sleep over them.

Maybe I am a bit selfish...(and jaded) but I'm not really all that concerned about the so-called fitness industry, which has (in my opinion) a lot of opportunism and snake oil going on. I think that pockets of the industry that do have a solid product (such as SF) will adapt, survive, and possibly even thrive in our new world.

(I have also had the honour of having some friends who are traditional gym-goers ask me to help them with 'replacement' activities and programming.)

I think it's clear that things will change and the industry (at all levels) will need to keep up, innovate, and evolve. I also agree that there are lots of ways to thrive in the new world - and so long as billions of people want to be stronger, fitter, and healthier, organizations that are able to deliver will still be able to make a huge impact on people's lives.

This situation reminds me of something Jeff Bezos said years ago, "Amazon didn't happen to these regular bookstores. The future did." COVID-19 is accelerating us towards the future and everyone needs to be prepared for the change.

My wife’s, friends , husband asked me if I wanted to train.

I say sure I get off work at 1:30pm and start lifting at 3:00pm, and you are welcome to join me.

“Oh, you are still working”. Never heard back from him.

We have let our kids play with a small group of her mom friends while they are out on social distance walks. There is literally no way to keep them apart.

We all have to manage our own risk.

Wife’s other friends, husband is a Wildfire Firefighter. He took me up on the offer to use my gym to train for his, usually, gruelling season. I would have lent him some equivalent, but I could not pass up the opportunity to sell for profit.

Maybe I am a bit selfish...(and jaded) but I'm not really all that concerned about the so-called fitness industry, which has (in my opinion) a lot of opportunism and snake oil going on. I think that pockets of the industry that do have a solid product (such as SF) will adapt, survive, and possibly even thrive in our new world.

I'm glad you said it because I was thinking it. My own limited experience of operating within the industry left me feeling misled, exploited and disillusioned. I can, of course, only speak from personal experience but I feel that those who really believe in it and have something worthwhile to offer will find a way to make it work.

This is and will continue to be a challenging time for all manner of industries but we'll have to see what opportunities present themselves in the months and years to come.

I disagree. With gyms and fitness studios closed across the world closed and massive shortages of quality fitness equipment.

Fitness culture will forever be changed.

How many professionals will leave the industry? Though choice or necessity? The influencer bubble is bursting, income and opportunities are drying up.

How many who left the weight room will return? Are people going to be reluctant to return to there prepandemic form of exercise?

StrongFirst and others are, most likely, at the beginning of a long and bumpy road.

'Forever' is a long time. Equipment suppliers, gyms, and even 'influencers' will rise again to fill the same demand that caused all of the previous iterations of these things to be successful. The dot-com bubble bursting didn't lead to the demise of web-based services. The housing bubble bursting didn't keep homes from being built when people recovered. E-coli and hepatitis outbreaks haven't changed 'restaurant culture' forever. Why should this be any different?

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom