all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How should a participant prepare for Plan Strong?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
I will be attending a Plan Strong workshop this weekend. Does anyone have any tips on what/how to prepare? I have read the description on this site. Plan Strong™ | StrongFirst
I have taken some good hardstyle classes and the SF user course and have read most of Pavel's books.

This article describes the event.
How Plan Strong Programming Empowers the Weightlifter | StrongFirst

Other links: Six Weeks to Strong: The SF 930 Plan | StrongFirst

And I guess

1. Know the basic science of the energy systems, Energy Systems and the Snatch Test | StrongFirst
2. Basic calculations of percentages of a RM.
3. Notebook for notes beyond the user manual.
4. Is bringing a laptop overkill?

Apparently, there is a lot of info. How can I get the most out of the event? I am not a fitness professional (at this point), just someone who is really interested in applying the science for efficient gains in the least amount of time and stress on my middle-aged body as a busy professional and dad. However, I may want to certify to train older adults someday. The science of healthy aging interests me. My personal goals are to improve my deadlift past 2x bodyweight with a slow minimal program, up my KB press and start working on my KB front squat in particular. I am looking forward to learning more about the science and practice of programming just out of interest. I am familiar with basic concepts of exercise science from personal reading.

How should a participant prepare to get the most out of their Plan Strong experience?

Last edited:
I attended Plan Strong last year.
I don't think you really need any additional preparation for the event, that can be done within a few days. Knowing a bit about programming in general cannot hurt, of course. If you have read Pavel's book, you already do know enough.

Technically, you need to be comfortable with basic operations and percentages. This is the only real limiting factor.

Bring a four-operations calculator, and a notebook. The best (only?) way to get something out of this seminar is to practice. During the seminar, we are encouraged to write and calculate some programs. Do it! (I woke up at 5AM on Sunday to finish my homework...).
In my opinion, a laptop is not recommended: to understand the approach, you need to do it by hand a few times before using a computer.

I would read the Ladders Revisited article in the Milo magazine that came out in 2015 or 2016. To me, this is the best summary of the Plan Strong Program out there (external to the actual class, of course).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom