all posts post new thread

Old Forum How strong Pavel is or was in his heyday?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

I am currently reading several books from Pavel, Enter the Kettlebell, The naked warrior, Beyond Bodybuilding and The RKC. Now I am curious how strong Pavel was in his heyday, he is not massive but I understand that is misleading. Is there some data to assess his strength?

http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettlebells-strength-conditioning-forum/42896-pavel-how-much-weight-do-you-deadlift-squat-bench.html

12 years ago. Who knows what the legend is up to now! :)

It's an irrelevance as far as his coaching credentials go though. Not saying that's why you're asking.... Just sayin'...

I'm surprised people haven't broken out the worn out Chuck Norris jokes!

How strong was Pavel? Well on the first day Pavel created the kettlebell. The other six days don't matter.

That is a legitimate question to a strength coach. No one expects world records but would anyone take advice from a person that never achieve some basic standards?
I don't get the strange comments.

Carlos, I will tell you what I recall. I'm pretty sure Pavel said his deadlift max was 585 lbs. at a bodyweight of 190. He also achieved a Master of Sport ranking in kettlebell sport while in the Army in the former Soviet Union, this in an judged army competition, not an official GS meet.

Pavel, Brett Jones and I were Team PTTP at an AAU meet perhaps 8 or 9 years ago but I'm afraid I don't remember any numbers, not even my own. They're on a results page somewhere, I'm sure, but we'd have to figure out which meet it was before we could look it up. I just looked through about 10 different meets from 2003 and 2004 - I found myself, finally, in one of them, but I haven't figured out which one Pavel was at. (I pulled 157.5 kg at that meet as Raw, M49, 67.5.) If you feel like poking around yourself, pay a visit to http://www.aaupowerlifting.org/Results/ResultsArchives.aspx.

-S-

Steve F.

Thanks man, finally a legitimate answer! I know all of you certified instructors are pretty strong, I just wanted to know more specific numbers, I'll check the link you gave me. :)

"Who said he was out of his heyday?" -Nick Marsala

This is exactly what I was going to reply, but you beat me to it!

I love it how the answer to "how strong" can be simplified with a deadlift number.

What else can be a good representation of strength? A kettlebell press? A COC's gripper?

Pavel brings much more to the table than just limit strength demonstrated by a deadlift. With his special forces background, I think Pavel is more about an all around combination of strength, endurance and mobility. I can't think of anyone else who embodies a better combination of all around attributes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom