all posts post new thread

Bodyweight How strong should one be to attend SFB

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders Andresen

First Post
Hi everybody,

I'm new here on the forums, so forgive me if my upcoming question has already been answered somewhere, but I couldn't find any articles or threads about it.

For a long time I have been looking at the SFB, but I'm not sure if I am strong enough to complete it.

I have found articles about how to prepare for the SFG1, but couldn't find any for the SFB.

I love bodyweight training and have been doing it for a couple of years now.

Do you guys recommend that I should at least be able to do X amount of pistols, one armed push-ups etc.

I'm pretty sure I will learn to become a lot stronger when attending the SFB, when I learn about tension, breathing techniques etc.
But I also want the most out the course and therefore prepare well.

My current strength (if that helps you to get an idea how far/close I am for being ready for SFB)
Pistols - I'm not completely there yet. I do a lot of single leg squats, but still do assisted pistols
Pull-ups - 10-12 strict
Push-ups - 17-20 with feet elevated 11 inches
Handstand Push-up - 1 (on a good day)

Would love to hear how you have prepared for SFB and what you think I at least should be able to do, before attending.

Strong regards,
Anders

Please consider that you're given 6 months to complete the required skills. Offhand, I'd say you're in a great spot to take the cert and then complete the requirements within a few months of training afterwards.

@Karen Smith?

-S-

Here is a copy/paste from the StrongFirst Bodyweight Training/Practice Facebook group (ask to join if you are on Facebook) posted by Chief SFB Karen Smith:

"The StrongFirst SFB certification is for ALL levels. It is about learning to reverse engineer most any move and take your muscles under complete control. Then once you have returned home, programmed & practiced.... test when you are ready. You have 6 months to pass this cert. Some who have attended our course and practiced prior to attending the cert will select to test during the cert weekend BUT it is not a requirement."

Looks to me like you are in good shape. But you'll want to figure out what's holding you back on pistols. If it's mobility, that might take some time to resolve. Also, if you can't do a pistol at all, you won't be able to do a lot of the practice drills within the course.

Just my thoughts... I have been to the 1-day bodyweight course, but not the SFB cert.

Step 1: Read The Naked Warrior, and practice following the program to the letter.
Step 2: Read it again, refine your practice.
Step 3: Refer to step 2 and continue.
Step 4: AttenD SFB Course or/and SFB Cert, learn everything else from an experienced teacher. Test on the spot, or whenever you are ready during next 6 months.
Step 5: Return to the forum and tell everybody how great our SFB curriculum is. Because it is.

I will echo @Pavel Macek on the importance of absorbing The Naked Warrior.

Check out Karen Smith's many articles on the site as well. No matter what, you'll get a lot out of the cert.

How does your one-arm push-up look?

Isn't the requirement to pass the certification simply:
1 x one arm one leg push up for men (OAOLPU) and 1 x 1 arm push up for women (OAPU)? Only 1 side tested?

I assume that the abbility to do OAOLPU/OAPU, pistols (whats the difference between one leg squat and pistol squats? I thought they were the same?), leg raises and pullups/chinups will free up more mental space to absorb the principels?

Thanks for all the answers, guys! I really appreciate it!

@Steve Freides: Good point! I think I will sign up for the cert. in Italy in june. Then I have some time to really focus on preparing my body! :)

@Anna C: Will definitely check out the FB-page! Nice to know with the pistol drills. I think its strength in the bottom part of the pistol, that is holding me back. And I also have a hard time holding me leg out in front of me. It's feels leg the leg out in front of me is cramping up. So I'm gonna work on some different variations to build up the needed strength.

@Pavel Macek: I will take another good look at The Naked Warrior. I read it year ago, so time to bring it back!

@Zack: I tested my one-arm push-up and I miraculously managed to do one (with a wide stance for better balance) - but I will definitely begin working on lighter variations and building up to a one-arm push-up. I found some good ones in Convict conditioning, I'm gonna try out.

@somanaut: One leg squat is where you leg is bent behind you, instead the pistol, where the leg is straight out in front of you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom