all posts post new thread

Nutrition How to Bulk and Gain Weight (Muscle) on Keto

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
How to Bulk and Gain Weight (Muscle) on Keto

Thomas Delauer is one of the Ketogenic Diet Gurus.

The information that he presents on this makes sense base on the research.

Delauer quote three research source on this but does not designate the exact source.

However, I have one of the research sources. I emailed to you you a good while back.

Here is the breakdown...

1) The Effects of Ketogenic Dieting on Body Composition, Strength, Power, and Hormonal Profiles in Resistance Training Males The Effects of Ketogenic Dieting on Body Composition, Strength, Power, and Hormonal Profiles in Resistance Training Males. - PubMed - NCBI

Individual were placed on a Ketogenic Diet and Western Diet and compared.

The end result was individuals on the Ketogenic Diet decreased body fat and increased muscle mass more than those on the Western Diet.

The Keto Diet Caveat

Individual were place on the Ketogenic Diet for 10 week. In the 10th week...

"A reintroduction of carbohydrates from weeks 10-11, while participating in a resistance-training program."

Doing so, produced an increase in size and strength; carbohydrates essentially Superhydrate Muscle Fiber.

Super Hydration (Cell Voluminizing) is one of the reason that Creatine works.

It is also one of the reason for why Dianabol and Anadorol increase Muscle Mass and Maximum Strength.

Carbohydrate Loading also produces the same effect.

2) Research: Protein Intake of 1 Gram Per Pound

I am still trying to find this research.

This research demonstrated that increasing protein intake to 1 gram per pound increased muscle mass under the following condition.

Fat Intake had to remain around 75% of total daily calorie intake.

That means if a 200 lb person consumed 200 gram of protein (800 calories) they would need to consume around 266 gram of fat per day to ensure they remain in ketosis.

That adds up to more calorie than needed. Even on a Ketogenic Diet (Calories Count) consuming too many calories increases body fat.

To ensure maximum muscle mass gain, while minimizing body fat gain, Delauer includes...

3) Intermittent Fasting

Two things are accomplished.

1) A reduction in calories for the week by skipping some meals.

2) Greater Muscle Protein Synthesis

Research shows that after an Intermittent Fast, greater Muscle Protein Synthesis occurs.

The body soaks up protein like a dry sponge soaks of up water.

Research by Dr Layne Norton demonstrated this with...

Refractory Protein Feedings

Drs Layne Norton, Gabe Wilson and other determined the greatest Muscle Protein Synthesis occurs when protein is ingested every 4 - 6 hour between meals.

The dogma of consuming protein every three hours is counter productive. "The Muscle Protein Synthesis Sponge" is still wet and unable to soak up protein.

With all that in mind, here's...

Delauer Ketogenic Diet Recommendation

1) 10 Week Keto Diet

Go on a Ketotogenic Diet for 10 weeks.

2) 1 Gram of Protein Per Pound of Body Weight under the following condition; make sure your fat intake is 75% of your daily caloric intake.

3) Intermittent Fasting

Have some Intermittent Fasting Days to keep calorie down and to maximize Muscle Protein Synthesis.

4) Week 10 - 11

"A reintroduction of carbohydrates from weeks 10-11, while participating in a resistance-training program."

This Superhydrates (Cell Voluminizes) Muscle Fiber.

As we know, Dehydration cause a decrease in the muscle's ability to produce force and decreased it's size.

The reverse is true with Superhyration/Cell Voluminizing, there is an increase in strength and size.

Personal Experience

Years ago, I discovered this in trying to make weight for the 165 lb Weight Class.

I went on a Keto Diet, losing 8 pound of basically water weight.

With two week to go before the meet, I was around 173 lbs.

I decided to go back to the 181 lb class. Losing 8 lbs didn't seem feasible for me.

I went on a junk food, high carbohydrate diet; which I do not recommend.

I weighted in on meet day at 182 lbs. I was bloated and felt like crap.

However, I had one of my best lifting days.

The Take Home Message

Think of Superhydration like your car's tire pressure.

If your tire pressure is low/under inflated, you get poor gas mileage. With Dehydration you get poor performance.

If you tires are over inflated, you get really good tire mileage. With Superhydration, your performance dramatically increase.

With that said, here's one more thing to consider...

Sodium Intake Prior to Training

This is recommended prior to training as a means of Cell Voluminizing; which increase strength levels.

One of the easiest way of doing that is having a cup of bullion soup. It basically sodium.

A cup has around 800 to 1, 000 mg of sodium and approximately 200 mg of potassium (potassium in Chicken but not in Beef Bullion).

I had success with combining the anabolic diet with intermittent fasting years ago. I was also a little younger so I don't really know if that was a factor or not. Unfortunately, I have become a bit of a carb junky these past years. And with excess carbs comes the pudgieness. I'm not fat per se, but puffy/pudgy.
What does Thomas recommend for the fasting period?

It would be interesting to find out. I think he was a proponent of 16/8

It would be interesting to find out. I think he was a proponent of 16/8

I believe you're right.

Dr Mike T. Nelson and Brad Pilon are proponent of the 24 hour fast.

One of the funny thing Pilon said was that he got he got his master in nutrition on not eating.

Intermittent Fasting: Science or Fiction, with John Berardi | NSCA.com

Dr John Berardi goes into his experiments with the various fasting methods.

Berardi said he found the most friendly to be the 16/8 and the 24 hour method.

In the video, Berardi goes into some of the research on how the military used Intermittent Fasting used it for Jet Lag.

It doesn't cure it but it helps.

The best Intermittent Fast comes down to the one that you like, what works for you.

Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom