all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong How to calculate body weight percentage for pull up program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PeterLuffman

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey coaches!

First time writing a plan that isn't SQ, DL, BP or MP!

Skimming through the second edition manual and can't seem to locate info on how to calculate my body weight percentage. I'm sure it's easy, I skipped math at school! Don't judge! ;-)

Take your max and add you bodyweight.
We include BW in the total calculation (in full, to keep things simple enough) for your 1RM.

Let's take for example a 68kg student who can do one pullup with a 24kg (so 1RM is 24kg when considering only the KB).

1RM = 68 + 24 = 92kg

So the intensity will show as follow:
BW = 68/92 = 74%
KB 8 kg = (68+8)/92 = 83%
KB 16kg = (68+16)/92 = 91%
KB 24kg = 100%

My favorite example of doing pullup math is a 68 kg lifter with a bw+32kg 1RM. The total is 100 kg and it makes all the math super-easy. :)

-S-

• Haha
Reactions: jef
My favorite example of doing pullup math is a 68 kg lifter with a bw+32kg 1RM. The total is 100 kg and it makes all the math super-easy. :)
You just gave me the best reason to increase my pullup 1RM to 32kg...

@jef, at one time, I could do a chinup w/ 48 kg and a pullup with 40 kg - you can certainly get 32 kg, and I could certainly work back to that again, too.

-S-

Guys, my body weight came out at 78%.

So I've got these weights:

8kg - 82%
12kg - 87%
20kg - 93%

But I'm supposed to be calculating the 70-80% zone by subtraction from the other zones when working out the intensity dynamics. Does this mean I will have to include body weight reps as a zone/weight?

Does this mean I will have to include body weight reps as a zone/weight?
Absolutely, yes. If you do a little math just looking at the numbers, a 50/50 mix of 78% and 82% is going to give you a HARI of 80%. If you want to include 87% and 93%, you'll probably need a good amount of those 78% to balance things out.

Your numbers, Peter, have something in common with the PS I'm doing in the other thread. 1 weight in the 70-80% zone, 2 weights in the 81-90% zone, and 1 weight in 91-100%. As but one example of what you may find, yesterday I did 24 lifts, and 18 of them were my 70% zone weight. I had 3 sets of 5 and a triple, and in-between those 4 sets I had doubles of the heavier weights.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom