all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How to get back on track with TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Manny

First Post
When the gym closed, I made a "kettlebell" to continue training and kept doing the swings but I couldn't do TGUs due to the sharp corners.
So now that my gym is open I can do the swings with 32kg but the Get Ups ara really hard to do, really unstable after the first rep on each arm.
What do you guys recommend to get back on track?
Should I double the amount of reps with a lower weight or just take the time to rest longer between sets?
Thank you for your time
Attach is a pic of my "kettlebell" its filled with 70pounds IMG_20200605_200553.jpg

Just start with a lower weight and work your way back up.
Awesome DIY rig you have there by the way...

That bell is amazing!

Yes, just start with a lighter bell and really slow down each step. It'll come back fast.

I've also found that when I'm on my side about to press the bell up and start, if I just tell my self to relax, that this is easy and I've done it so many times before, it has a profound effect on the getup. Really visualize what your going to do and how easy it will be. Relaxed tension. I say the same thing to myself at the sticking points (roll to elbow, lunge up and down, etc,) and it really does make the bell seem lighter and more attainable.

Thank you guys for the replies.
What I did today was 1 TGU each side with 32kg and then 5 more each with 24kg.
Next time I'll try to really slow down like Rumsmike mentioned.
Thank you for the input

Hello,

@Manny
I like your DIY !

What do you guys recommend to get back on track?
Do not worry about the time it takes.

Now your gym is opened again. Then I'd scale back my GU weight. I'd use a weight I am comfortable with (heavy enough to get feedback and challenge, but light enough to be performed 4x a week at least to get real progress).

I am a not a reference, but I really like the small increment: 24, 28, 32.

Usually, I just incorporate 1 or 2 heavier GU out of the 5. I do it everyday for a few weeks. Then 3, and so on. Once I get comfortable (meaning owning the weight) I do it again with heavier weights.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I tend to default to increasing volume significantly prior to weight. Perhaps do significantly more volume with the 24. Enough that fatigue sets in and forces some adaptation of stabilizers. I'm thinking like 20-40 reps, one every minute kind of significant volume.

I tend to default to increasing volume significantly prior to weight. Perhaps do significantly more volume with the 24. Enough that fatigue sets in and forces some adaptation of stabilizers. I'm thinking like 20-40 reps, one every minute kind of significant volume.
Wow I like that idea of 20 to 40 reps. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom