all posts post new thread

Bodyweight How to get stronger with pistols

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marius

Level 4 Valued Member
Any one out there with a simple yet effective routine for the pistol? My current 1RM (ish) is 24kg, but my long term goal is to get one rep with a 32kg bell.

Thanks

GTG works well with pistols - it's explained in the Naked Warrior book.

-S-

Grease the Groove with your 24k until it's ridiculously easy. Then add a little weight and continue greasing the groove. If you "own" a 24k pistol cold, and want a 32k pistol, this is an increase of 8k. Adding a little weight at a time while greasing the groove with singles and doubles will keep you strong and fresh. You might also have additional bodyweight to lose, which would help to counteract the increase in external weight.

I agree with everything said so far. GTG is king. Be sure to wave the intensity and reps as well, that way you could probably stick with it potentially forever. E.g. today I've done 5xNaked, 4x16kg, 4x16kg, 2x24kg, 2x24kg, 4xNaked and will probably do another set or two with both the 16 and 24 later on. Tomorrow will probably be very different... Maybe mostly naked (unweighted), with a few heavy singles thrown in. Who knows? Same but different all day every day! :)

I got a program that I believe will fit perfectly for you.. PM me for further details :)

For the past few weeks I have been experimenting with a warm-up routine, that I find helpful for getting stronger. All exercises are done on balance pads to make them more demanding.

This is how it goes

Do 2-4 rounds of:

5 Goblet Squats with a static hold at bottom, 3-5 seconds.
5 SLDL, body weight only, touch the handle of a kettlebell, hold for 3-5 seconds, then return to standing.
2 Pistols, body weight only.

The goblet squats are done on two bosu balance pads. The rest of the exercises are done on one single pad.

Thoughts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom