all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How to get that first pull-up...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

OldAndWeak

Level 1 Valued Member
I've seen lots of conflicting advice all over the internet (like with most everything else), and would love to hear thoughts from this awesome community. Mid-40's, and frustrated looking at a lot of the various training programs or the Strong First challenges that all expect lots of pull-ups, and I can't figure out how to get one. I can get a couple chin-ups, is it a matter of keep working those more days/week until I can increase reps, and then switch to pull-ups?

work your chin ups, body weight rows, and face pulls. realize the pull up (overhand grip) is a progression from the chin up.

I don't understand the logic of learning the hollow position just to do pull ups.. seems like a waste of time to me.

what exactly do you think you will gain from doing tactical pull ups, as opposed to regular chin ups? is the drill going to benefit you, or are you going to struggle to do one and ultimately strain yourself?

lastly, remember that the pull up is a test as much as it is a drill.

can't do the pull up? usually pretty simple. "too weak or too fat".. I'm not trying to insult your strength or your weight, just trying to make you question where you are at as far as relative strength and bodyfat percentage is concerned.

good luck, you will get it, somehow, some way

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys - working up from those 1-2 chin-ups and TRX rows or other rows seems like the way to go for me at this point - I'm definitely not 'too fat', but am certainly 'too weak' :)

I lost the ability to do pull-ups due to shoulder problems (first one shoulder, then the other) followed by a neck problem. Here’s what worked for me:

First, the obvious: Chin ups, especially with slow descent; negative and/or partial pull-ups; scapular raises (basically pull-ups with locked elbows so that the raise is done with only the shoulder and back muscles); and seated and bent over rowing.

The less obvious things that helped were deadlifts - and I know that not everyone agrees that DL strength will help with pull-ups. But DLs will increase the strength in the muscles that enable you to keep your lower body tight which will help prevent swinging. DLs also increase grip strength and generally, the tighter the grip, the greater the number of pull-ups/chin-ups. In fact, not many can continue for many reps once the grip begins to weaken. Gripper work helped too.

Losing weight helped me, and so did focusing on proper pull ups form. The pull-up is a whole body exercise and requires the abs, glutes, and legs to be tightly contracted. In addition, I found that at the top of the pull-up, the face/neck should not be as close to the bar as with a chin-up. It’s like leaning back a little during the ascent. I have no idea why this works, but for me it works like a charm.

I also followed the FPP program, but started with fewer reps, and didn’t feel defeated when didn’t make progress as fast as the FPP suggests.

Finally, it sounds dumb, but I eventually realized that as I neared the top of my rep range, I was forgetting to breathe or breathing only shallowly. For me, breathing with the proper cadence was a bit tricky.

Last edited:
Stay off of the assisted pullup machine. Once people get on that thing they never get off. I worked with lots of female midshipmen at the US Naval Academy when the USMC mandated pullups for women. We had the most success with slow negatives. Once they could get 5 good slow negatives under control, they could do a pullup. The first pullup is the hardest. The rest come much faster. We started with bar hangs and negatives, plus some assistance work (pull downs, TRX rows or body rows, and pushups). Once they could get a pullup, we did a mix of negatives and singles and slowly replaced the negatives with reps once they got more.

My wife achieved 15 dead hang pullups at 48 years old with this simple plan. She can do 3 reps with 45lbs (maybe it is 50 now though) of extra weight.

A counterweight system...
It takes a bit of rigging, but if you are handy it can be done.
You need a couple of pulleys some rope or cable a couple of carabiners and a climbing harness.

You add whatever weight you need to make the reps you want. You then gradually start taking off weight until you are at the bodyweight reps you are looking for.

I rehabbed a pretty serious shoulder repair this way.

A counterweight system...
It takes a bit of rigging, but if you are handy it can be done.
You need a couple of pulleys some rope or cable a couple of carabiners and a climbing harness.

You add whatever weight you need to make the reps you want. You then gradually start taking off weight until you are at the bodyweight reps you are looking for.

I rehabbed a pretty serious shoulder repair this way.

Maybe this is the answer. Somebody needs to develop a better pullup assist system. Rubber bands don't work because they provide the most assistance at the bottom when it is needed at the top. The pullup/dip assist machine changes your upper body angle and locks it in place, so that is no good.

I'd try building volume with chinup singles + lots of rest between, combined with either some hanging and/or inverted rows, pullup negatives as secondary work.

I think Soju and Tuba would be an ideal progression scheme:
Upgrade Your Strength with the Soju and Tuba Press Program | StrongFirst

I'd think a single pullup would be in your back pocket if you finish S&T with chins. If you stall, you can restart the program and build back up.

Thanks guys - working up from those 1-2 chin-ups and TRX rows or other rows seems like the way to go for me at this point - I'm definitely not 'too fat', but am certainly 'too weak' :)

I too, had a lot of luck with flexed hangs and slow negatives. definitely worth working into your routine. consider doing max reps (1-2) of your chin ups and then some slow negatives to build up volume.

Similar thread: Goal Pullups

Negatives were definitely the best thing for me starting out. But other advise that I love from that prior thread; don't try to pull your body up to the bar, try to tear the bar off the wall.

Offwidth, Do you know where I can get decent pulleys? I'm looking for maybe 4" to 6" diameter with at least 1/2" depth U-groove with ball bearing action, I want to make a push down type station with an upper and lower pulley.

Offwidth, Do you know where I can get decent pulleys? I'm looking for maybe 4" to 6" diameter with at least 1/2" depth U-groove with ball bearing action, I want to make a push down type station with an upper and lower pulley.
You might check Grainger supply for stuff that size.
For my pull-up rig I used some crevasse rescue and big wall hauling pulleys I had on hand

My advice, (always been good with chins, had to learn pull-ups.) Start by slowing down the chins on each rep. Control, pause at the top and bottom.
Do 2 push-ups for every chin, same way. Never to failure. Comfortable stop.

When you can do 5x5/5x10 comfortably and controled, try close grip pull-ups, thumbs touching every other session. When you can do that 5x5/5x10, increase the distance between your hands, inch or so at a time. Again, 5x5/5x10, then another inch, etc...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom