all posts post new thread

Nutrition How to have a beautiful body when doing powerlifting?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dorian.Hughes1983

First Post
Hello! I started gym-going 3 months ago and I am really keen on powerlifting, but I would like to have a low level of fat . I have a diet full of carbohydrates and proteins. In addition, I use creatine and glutamine. Unfortunately, I struggle with having a defined muscle mass. Most problematic zones are abs and legs. What shall I administrate in order to reach my goal?

Hello! I started gym-going 3 months ago and I am really keen on powerlifting, but I would like to have a low level of fat . I have a diet full of carbohydrates and proteins. In addition, I use creatine and glutamine. Unfortunately, I struggle with having a defined muscle mass. Most problematic zones are abs and legs. What shall I administrate in order to reach my goal?
A low level of body fat would depend on keeping your calorie intake low. This would probably work against you if you're trying to build strength with the powerlifts although some basic changes to your diet (swapping chocolate/donuts for a piece of fruit, drinking water instead of soda, grilling instead of frying etc.) could help.

As you're quite new to lifting, I'd focus on building strength first and make sure you're eating enough to allow adequate recovery and muscle growth. Once you've built a solid foundation of strength and lifting technique, you can start making more tweaks to your nutrition.

The creatine might be making your body retain water, which certainly doesn't help with looking 'defined'. That said, if it's beneficial for your training, I'd keep taking it.

For now, work on getting stronger and enjoying the process.

If you need to lose weight overall, just reduce portions of what you're already eating.

If you want to lose body fat specifically you get a more rapid response by reducing dietary fat. Getting rid of "condiment" fats like butter is a good start.

Ultimately going into a deficit will not help your lifting numbers, but it might be necessary if you want to improve physique.

If your bodyweight is/has been relatively stable you might also change nothing about your diet and simply continue to train hard and consistent, take stock in another 3 months.

Everyone has parts that get defined more easily and others that take more work and time. I've had the best results reducing bodyfat by reducing carbs, but not eliminating them completely while keeping protein high to maintain and even gain muscle mass.

A low level of body fat would depend on keeping your calorie intake low. This would probably work against you if you're trying to build strength with the powerlifts although some basic changes to your diet (swapping chocolate/donuts for a piece of fruit, drinking water instead of soda, grilling instead of frying etc.) could help.

As you're quite new to lifting, I'd focus on building strength first and make sure you're eating enough to allow adequate recovery and muscle growth. Once you've built a solid foundation of strength and lifting technique, you can start making more tweaks to your nutrition.

The creatine might be making your body retain water, which certainly doesn't help with looking 'defined'. That said, if it's beneficial for your training, I'd keep taking it.

For now, work on getting stronger and enjoying the process.
I have heard about fat-burners and have an optimistic point of view about them. What is your opinion?

I have heard about fat-burners and have an optimistic point of view about them. What is your opinion?
If you're talking about tablets etc. I've not heard anything good about them pesonally: I don't know anyone who uses them and I've never seen them recommended in any weight cutting strategies I've read about.

It's possible that they may work for some individuals but I suspect that if they were truly as effective as they're claimed to be, there'd be a lot more gym rats strutting around at <10% body fat.

It'd be worth finding out more from someone who has direct experience taking them if you can but I don't know enough about them to offer any meaningful recommendation.

I have heard about fat-burners and have an optimistic point of view about them.

Fat Burners

1) Overrated

At most, the may burn an additional 100 calories a day.

2) Overpriced

Read the label.

It is an overpriced Cocktail compose of over the couter items that you can purchase individually for cheap.

Breakdown of The Majory Playes

1) Caffeine, Caffeine Anhydrous USP,

Caffeine the is foundation of weight loss and energy drinks.

It is usually the base ingredient because of how effective it is. It is the "Work Horse" the is resposible for most of the results.

A cup of coffee has around 200 mg.

Pre Workout Caffeine

I take Caffeine with some Coffee prior to training. Research show most workouts are enhanced with it; which is true for mine.

2-6 mg per kilo of body weight is what is recommended for athletes and healthy individual who workout on a regular basis.

The 80/20 Rule

This rule applies with Caffeine. Appoximtely 80% of the increase in metabolism and from energy drinks comes from Caffeine.

The additiional compounds contributes around 20% to the Fat Burners minimal effect.

Ironically, the 20% of the compound contribution is the reason for the crazy price of the "Fat Burner".

You end up paying 80% more for the additional supplements that provide 20% of the increased fat burning effect; that end up being a poor investment for your return.

Below is some of the other supplements often found in a Fat Burner...

2) Citrus Aurantiun

This is often found in Fat Burners.

It is synephedrine, a milder form of ephedrine.

p‐Synephrine is a substance typically included in weight loss products because it might induce significant increases in basal metabolic rate and lipolysis by activation of the β3 adrenergic receptors. Synephrine - Wikipedia

3) Green Tea

This is another compound that tends to increases your metabolism.

3) Capsaicin Powder

This is another compound that is often in Fat Burners.

It is from hot peppers ane increases metabolic rate.

Research On Thermogenic Fat Burners

They increase you metabolic rate. You end burning approximately 100 calorie more per day; which adds up slowly over time.

That 100 calorie burn would be about 3,000 calories a month. A pound of fat is 3.500 calories. So, in a month you'd burn almost a pound of fat.

"Best Bang For The Buck"

Coffeen or Caffeine Tablets

Equate Stay Awake Caffeine Alertness Aid Tablets, 200 mg, 80 Count - Walmart.com

Since 80% (about) of Caffeine increase in your metabolic rate and energy in enegry drinks. you might consider drinking a cup
or two of coffee.

Another option would be taking a Caffeine Tablet and seeing how that works.

Walmart (website above) has 80 Caffeine Tablets; each tablet is 200 mg of caffeine. The price is $2.98 (less than 4 cents per tablet).

That makes Caffeine Tablets one of the "Best Bangs for the Buck."

You need to be over 18 to purchase them.

Decreasing Calorie Intake

This is more effective that a Fat Burner.

Intermittent Fasting

This is an effective method of decreasing calorie intake. Nothing to count or fix. Just skip a meal every once in a while.

Research show that fasting up to 72 hours increase fat burning and preserves muscle mass. The sweet spot of Intermittent Fasting is between 16 to 24 hours.

Intermittent Fasting also increase fat burning.

Brad PIlon, MS Nutrition

As per Pilon, any fast over 12 hours is effective. As an example, stop eating at 6 pm and don't eat again until 6 am.

Pilon also recommends once you are hungry, eat. Don't make youself or others crazy.

Dr. Mike T. Nelson (Intermittent Fasting Researcher)

For those who have a hard time getting into Intermittent Fasting, Nelson recommends inching back on something to eat for breakfast from let's say 6 am to 7 am, then 7 am to 8 am, etc.

Nelson recommend when you are hungry, eat some protein. Protein controls hunger and it is also thermogenic.

Last edited:
Fat Burners

1) Overrated

2) Overpriced

Read the label.

It is an overpriced Cocktail compose of over the couter items that you can purchase individually for cheap.

It is usually the base ingredient because of how effective it is. It is the "Work Horse" the is resposible for most of the results.

Pre Workout Caffeine

I take Caffeine with some Coffee prior to training. Research show most workouts are enhanced with it; which is true for mine.

2-6 gram per kilo of body weight is what is recommended for athletes and healthy individual who workout on a regular basis.

The 80/20 Rule

This rule applies with Caffeine. Appoximtely 80% of the increase in metabolism and from energy drinks comes from Caffeine.

The additiional compounds contributes around 20% to the Fat Burners minimal effect.

Ironically, the 20% of the compound contribution is the reason for the crazy price of the "Fat Burner".

You end up paying 80% more for the additional supplements that provide 20% of the increased fat burning effect; that end up being a poor investment for your return.

2) Citrus Aurantiun

p‐Synephrine is a substance typically included in weight loss products because it might induce significant increases in basal metabolic rate and lipolysis by activation of the β3 adrenergic receptors. Synephrine - Wikipedia

3) Green Tea

3) Capsaicin Powder

They increase you metabolic rate. You end burning approximately 100 calorie more per day; which adds up slowly over time.

That 100 calorie burn would be about 3,000 calories a month. A pound of fat is 3.500 calories. So, in a month you'd burn almost a pound of fat.

"Best Bang For The Buck"

Equate Stay Awake Caffeine Alertness Aid Tablets, 200 mg, 80 Count - Walmart.com

Since 80% (about) of Caffeine increase in your metabolic rate and energy in enegry drinks. you might consider drinking a cup
or two of coffee.

Walmart (website above) has 80 Caffeine Tablets; each tablet is 200 mg of caffeine. The price is $2.98 (less than 4 cents per tablet).

Intermittent Fasting

This is an effective method of decreasing calorie intake. Nothing to count or fix. Just skip a meal every once in a while.

Research show that fasting up to 72 hours increase fat burning and preserves muscle mass. The sweet spot of Intermittent Fasting is between 16 to 24 hours.

Brad PIlon, MS Nutrition

As per Pilon, any fast over 12 hours is effective. As an example, stop eating at 6 pm and don't eat again until 6 am.

Pilon also recommends once you are hungry, eat. Don't make youself or others crazy.

For those who have a hard time getting into Intermittent Fasting, Nelson recommends inching back on something to eat for breakfast from let's say 6 am to 7 am, then 7 am to 8 am, etc.

Nelson recommend when you are hungry, eat some protein. Protein controls hunger and it is also thermogenic.
2-6 mg. per kilo of BW. Caffeine.

Fat Burners

1) Overrated

2) Overpriced

Read the label.

Pre Workout Caffeine

2-6 gram per kilo of body weight is what is recommended for athletes and healthy individual who workout on a regular basis.

The 80/20 Rule

2) Citrus Aurantiun

3) Green Tea

3) Capsaicin Powder

"Best Bang For The Buck"

or two of coffee.

To add to that, the more effective fat burning stacks like ECA are marginally more effective and much less safe (and is a grey area as it is off label use). It increases acute blood pressure, heart rates, and increases incidences of blood clotting. The metabolic improvement of the added ephedrine to the caffeine stack is less than 1%. (source)

They seem to very much be in the realm of "technically" effective and "practically" not effective at all.

Way easier and safer to just reduce calories by eating more nutrient dense foods, skipping meals, or any other simple change like that.

What is your first choice? Powerlifting or fat loss?

1) See how things go with the training without any change to your diet. If hungry, eat. And be adult about it: food, not cake and biscuits.
Going along fine and think you could eat less. Eat less.

2) Fat loss option. Do the above first.

It is possible to get stronger on a fat loss crusade. But the problem is cross pollination ....depends on the thing you do, how much weight loss, age, gender and a whole collection of variables.

And welcome to the diet wars.

This from a recent SF article on hypertrophy:

"On a side note, I recommend you consume a diet at least moderately high in carbohydrates and calories as your body needs a surplus of energy to repair itself from this training method."

Note: 'energy' to repair itself.

It increases acute blood pressure, heart rates,
Weight Training

So, does weight training, especially with heavy load.

increases incidences of blood clotting.
Vague

By how much?

The metabolic improvement of the added ephedrine to the caffeine stack is less than 1%.

ECA

None of the over the counter "Fat Burners" do much for burning more calories.

With that said, the ECA Stack was an effective pre-workout stack.

Healthy individual had no bad effects from it.

Ephedrine is still avaliable at places like Walmart. It's behind the counter and can be purchase by those over 18.

However, it isn't the same as the "White Cross" Ephedrine that was once on the market. That was some great stuff.

Weight Training

So, does weight training, especially with heavy load.

Vague

By how much?

ECA

None of the over the counter "Fat Burners" do much for burning more calories.

With that said, the ECA Stack was an effective pre-workout stack.

Healthy individual had no bad effects from it.

Ephedrine is still avaliable at places like Walmart. It's behind the counter and can be purchase by those over 18.

However, it isn't the same as the "White Cross" Ephedrine that was once on the market. That was some great stuff.
I cited the source I grabbed the info from if you want extra information. It is a great site for referencing research on almost any supplement you can think of.

How heavy are you? Height? And your muscle mass - have you measured it?

Defined muscle is based on muscle and low-body fat. For me the first one is harder to get. Accumulate muscle can take quite of time.

Fat Burners

1) Overrated

2) Overpriced

Read the label.

Pre Workout Caffeine

2-6 mg per kilo of body weight is what is recommended for athletes and healthy individual who workout on a regular basis.

The 80/20 Rule

2) Citrus Aurantiun

3) Green Tea

3) Capsaicin Powder

"Best Bang For The Buck"

Equate Stay Awake Caffeine Employee Monitoring Tablets, 200 mg, 80 Count - Walmart.com

or two of coffee.

Intermittent Fasting

Brad PIlon, MS Nutrition

I learned a lot more in your post than from reading many articles and literature on fat burners, caffeine, and so on.
can I ask one question?
you write that you consume caffeine before training. how much? and does it not affect the heart many times stronger than if you shoot it just during the day, and not immediately before training?
Caffeine increases physical and mental activity and affects endurance and performance for the better, but it can have the opposite effect and negatively affect the cardiovascular system.
Thank you

I learned a lot more in your post than from reading many articles and literature on fat burners, caffeine, and so on.
can I ask one question?
Caffeine Research

There is research information that you can find online about it.

This article is one...

Caffeine

Caffeine Performance​

• Caffeine may improve maximum strength from 3-4%. The evidence pertains specifically to the squat and bench press, but there's no reason it wouldn’t apply to the deadlift, too.
  • Caffeine definitely has positive effects on strength, but may also be useful for attenuating any fatigue-induced decline in muscle strength.

Caffeine Dosing​

• Optimal dosing is 2-6 mg/kg, although individual experimentation is needed.
  • Repeated dosing may work better for competitions that are longer than two hours. This practice, using smaller doses of caffeine (2 mg. per kilogram) before each event, may maintain steady plasma caffeine levels.

Caffeine Timing​

• If using caffeine capsules, take them 60 minutes prior to event.
  • If using cola or coffee, drink it 40 minutes prior to event.
  • If using caffeine chewing gum, take it 10 minutes prior to an event.yo
Caffeine Before Training

Prior a Hard Training Day, I consume around 400 mg of Caffeine with Yohimbe. For me, the Yohimbe enhances the effect.

On Easy Training Day, I don't take anything. That because the body become acclimated to it when it is constantly used. That meaning that it does not provide the same effect over time with constant use.

The same occurs with Training and Diet; when they stop working, something need to be changes.

does it not affect the heart many times stronger than if you shoot it just during the day, and not immediately before training?
Training Only Use

The only time I take it is on Hard Training Days. I don't take it prior to Easy Training Sessions and especially not during the day.

Being "Jacked Up" at work or off time isn't what I want.

Heart And Blood Pressure

It increase Heart Rate and Blood Pressure, as Silveraw noted in his post.

However, Heavy Resistance Training and High Intensity Interval Training also increase Heart Rate and Blood Pressure.

Super Responders

Some individual, like me, are Caffeine Super Responders. It Jacks Up these individual.

Non-Responders

Other individual are Caffeine Non-Responders. Individual like this can consume Coffee (200 mg of Caffeine per cup) all day long and never notice anything.

Caffeine increases physical and mental activity and affects endurance and performance for the better, but it can have the opposite effect and negatively affect the cardiovascular system.
It Depends

1) It depends on if you are a Super Responder or Non-Responder, regarding performance and your Heart Rate and Blood Pressure.

2) It depends on the dosage. An extremely High Dosage of Caffeine kills.

That is the reason Caffeine Powder cannot be sold and why you need to be over 18 to purchase a bottle of Caffeine at Walmart.

Something else that may improve Training is...

A few milligrams of nicotine makes athletes sprint faster

You do not hear much about it, but quite a few athletes take a dose of nicotine for important training sessions and competitions. [Forensic Sci Int. 2011 Dec 10;213(1-3):73-84.] Of course not in the form of tobacco, but in that of nicotine patches, strips or chewing gum. If you read the research that Australian sports scientists at James Cook University have published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology, you will understand why.

Results
Administration of nicotine increased the power that the athletes could develop during the sprints.
In ordinary English: the athletes became faster.

A few milligrams of nicotine makes athletes sprint faster

Conclusions
"In conclusion, a 5 mg dose of nicotine given via a rapidly absorbed oral-dispersible strip significantly increased repeated 30 s bouts of maximal anaerobic exercise", write the Australians.

"This dose of nicotine produced no significant difference in reported side effects following consumption despite significantly increasing both heart rate and blood pressure. Following high-intensity exercise participants reported lower side-effect survey scores with nicotine compared to placebo."

"As such, we conclude that nicotine increased anaerobic exercise capacity through a mix of sympathetic stimulation and central mechanisms, namely increased dopaminergic activity in the reward centre."

Beside increasing Training Performance...

Nicotine Provides Some Health Benefits
[URLunfurl="true"]Beneficial effects of nicotine - PubMed

When chronically taken, nicotine may result in: (1) positive reinforcement, (2) negative reinforcement, (3) reduction of body weight, (4) enhancement of performance, and protection against; (5) Parkinson's disease (6) Tourette's disease (7) Alzheimers disease, (8) ulcerative colitis and (9) sleep apnea.

Nicotine improves cognitive brain function with Dementia and Alzheimers.

Nicotine isn't the issue with cigarettes. It is the hundreds of other chemical in them that are absorbed.

"...the burning of tobacco, ...magnifies the amount of chemicals that a person takes on by a factor of 10."
Source: Episode 146 - Nicotine: Pure Evil or Brain Fuel?

Attachments

• 1625079411102.png
    1625079411102.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
listen to the guys of mindpump on yt, plenty of podcasts on this topic!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom