all posts post new thread

Kettlebell how to hold a kettle bell properly if you have wide hands (swings)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nish1013

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,
Could someone let me how to hold a kettle bell property when doing swings if you have wide hands ?
Please find the attached photo.

Are competition type kettlbells are good for wide hands ?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20KB.jpg
    20KB.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 44
Learn to do one arm swings, if your both hands don't fit to the handle.

both my hands don't fit in any of my bells. my pinky fingers just hang off and don't do much. I definitely don't enjoy doing a lot of swings that way. I prefer single handed even though they are more difficult.

With smaller bells the handles are usually smaller. The handles of the 32 and 40 are slightly wider, at least my bells.
Obviously your pinky will reach out of the handle and you grip only with 4 fingers.
Avoid the problem and do one arm swigs. They are also more challenging

Thank you all.

So there it's nothing to do with the type of kettlebell?

I might need to use a low weight bell if doing one hand.
I've got 8,12 and 20.

Leave the pinkies out from handle. Being unable to fit 10 fingers into handle is normal, nothing to worry about.

Hello,

Could someone let me how to hold a kettle bell property when doing swings if you have wide hands ?
Put your hand very next to each other (no space between right and left). Then, get out the pinkie (it can be along the vertical part of the handle).

I have the problem too with the 20, even if my hands are not really big.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Are competition type kettlbells are good for wide hands ?
Comp bells are all identical in size and dimensions regardless of weight. But they are built for use with one hand per bell. You can do two handed swings with them but any issues you have with "big" hands on hardstyle bells will likely be exaggerated on competition kettlebells.

Comp bells are all identical in size and dimensions regardless of weight. But they are built for use with one hand per bell. You can do two handed swings with them but any issues you have with "big" hands on hardstyle bells will likely be exaggerated on competition kettlebells.
oh no ! I ordered one 16kg from Jordan :(

Very big people do two handed swings with them, you just have to fiddle a bit to figure out how to grip it. I think it will be fine!

url= Flynn 2 handed on competition bell[/url]

Pat is not a large person but you might get some ideas from this. Good head on shots of him swinging 2 handed with a comp bell.

Learn to do one arm swings, if your both hands don't fit to the handle.

Don't know if the above quote was meant to be sarcastic, but if serious then +1. Seriously. My hands are not particular big but I am stocky and fat, so two hands swings are not comfortable for me unless I am using my T-handle.

If you plan on buying double KBs at some point, especially comp bells, then go ahead and buy your second and do double swings. For instance: if you want to do 2H swings with a 32 and you own one 16, buy another 16 if money allows.

Consider the T-Handle option. Either make your own or buy one. Sorinex sells one but very pricey. There was a guy on ebay who fabricated his own stuff, his prices were reasonable when I bought mine a few years back. Have not regretted the purchase. Do a search on ebay and you'll likely find a welder looking to make a few bucks selling fitness equipment.

Hello,

A 16kg bell is never out of the game, at least for loaded stretching and / or warm up ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@masa And I agree with your solution to the problem! GS purists believe 1 hand swings are the only way to go.
Two arm swings with one bell feels more unnatural for me. I don't know what causes it, but I have scoliosis. One arm swings don't irritate my spine, like two arm sometimes do.

Hello,

@masa
Do you use medical shoes to compensate this scoliosis during your swings ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@masa
Do you use medical shoes to compensate this scoliosis during your swings ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks for asking. No, I practice bare feet. I have custom made insoles in my safety boots @work. At free time I use only Converse Chuck Taylor's or Vibram's five finger shoes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom