all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How To Improve Your Kettlebell Snatch-Part I

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hector G

Level 4 Valued Member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Just finished up the 1st part of a 3 part series on how to improve your kettlebell snatch.

The most common thing I see go wrong with the snatch (and the clean) is the "taming of the arc".

The snatch is a "vertical projection of force" compared to the swings "horizontal projection of force".

In part I--I will show you an "unsuspecting" exercise to improve your snatch skills (it's not the swing nor is it the high pull) and...

... really drive home the vertical trajectory of the snatch!

Enjoy.

-Hec

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hector G, thank you.

Everyone please note that Hector generates tremendous power in his dead snatch by driving through his heels, thus not needing to come up on his toes, even with 24 kg. Most of us aren’t that strong but the way to become that strong is to use an appropriately light weight for you that allows you to demonstrate the same dead snatch technique you see Hector using.

-S-

@Hector G, thank you.

Everyone please note that Hector generates tremendous power in his dead snatch by driving through his heels, thus not needing to come up on his toes, even with 24 kg. Most of us aren’t that strong but the way to become that strong is to use an appropriately light weight for you that allows you to demonstrate the same dead snatch technique you see Hector using.

-S-
Yes, exactly Steve. The dead snatch must be used with a lighter weight.

Great observation.

Just finished up the 1st part of a 3 part series on how to improve your kettlebell snatch.

The most common thing I see go wrong with the snatch (and the clean) is the "taming of the arc".

The snatch is a "vertical projection of force" compared to the swings "horizontal projection of force".

In part I--I will show you an "unsuspecting" exercise to improve your snatch skills (it's not the swing nor is it the high pull) and...

... really drive home the vertical trajectory of the snatch!

Enjoy.

-Hec

Thanks and subscribed.

I've been using the cue to snatch and drop the snatch "through the rack" for years. Nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks the idea makes sense.

I've also always disagreed with the idea that "the snatch is a swing that ends overhead." Yes, the idea of powering the bell with hip drive is the same, but the bell path is different, and I think that phrase is misleading and confusing to a lot of people. I like how @Hector G makes the distinction that you don't "swing the bell overhead."

I've been using the cue to snatch and drop the snatch "through the rack" for years. Nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks the idea makes sense.

I've also always disagreed with the idea that "the snatch is a swing that ends overhead." Yes, the idea of powering the bell with hip drive is the same, but the bell path is different, and I think that phrase is misleading and confusing to a lot of people. I like how @Hector G makes the distinction that you don't "swing the bell overhead."
+1

I find this confusing, at my recent SFG cert I asked Tommy Blom specifically if the snatch has a vertical projection of force. He said no, it's a swing that ends overhead.

Can someone clarify?

EDIT:

I think this is one of the best snatch video's on youtube and what I aim for with my clients.

Last edited:
I find this confusing, at my recent SFG cert I asked Tommy Blom specifically if the snatch has a vertical projection of force. He said no, it's a swing that ends overhead.

Can someone clarify?

EDIT:

I think this is one of the best snatch video's on youtube and what I aim for with my clients.

The snatch is without a doubt a vertical projection of force. The fastest point from A to B is in a straight line.

This is in line with what we teach at SFG--"taming the arc". The same principle for the clean applies to the snatch.

I've never liked cue--"the snatch is a swing that ends over-head" it's a very miss leading cue/explanation. If that is true... then there is no taming of the arc.

That would be like me saying the clean is a swing that ends in the rack. What would happen if you swing the bell and then try to
pull it back into the rack?

It would crash on your forearms for sure.

It would make more sense if I said the snatch was a clean that ends over-head. I hope this make sense.

We propel both the swing and the snatch with our hips, and we steer both with our hands. The force generated by the hips can propel the kettlebell in different directions depending on how we steer it.

Thus the beginning of a kettlebell snatch is like a swing, but the middle and end aren't.

-S-

I'd rather do the dead snatch than the other style personally as I feel stronger that way(having one arm snatched a decent load with the barbell 135lbs+). It may have something to do what Hector is trying to teach here, that the vertical protection is the best for the snatch and clean. When I try to do the regular snatch I think I end up getting more and more swing effect as I go on. I'm not doing any snatch tests or trying to certify on anything so I think the dead snatch will be what I use for awhile and then try to make my way back to the other style with cleaned up form. thanks for theta Hector and your Mobility Secrets book has got me back on the mats after several months off. Going to go out and make myself a sandbag with my new tough-as-nails sandbag and do the mobility stuff in between all that.- Jeff

Until now had never tried dead snatch. I really like doing them; very different feel from regular snatch w/ full back swing etc.

Last edited:
Interesting. Not much backwards lean of the trunk through the ankles and knees shown by Hector as the bell travels down. Is this because the bell is going so straight up and down or because the bell is so light for him?

Interesting. Not much backwards lean of the trunk through the ankles and knees shown by Hector as the bell travels down. Is this because the bell is going so straight up and down or because the bell is so light for him?
Here's another from him on snatch. Showing a lot of "squat" at the bottom... Just variations seems to me... Can't get it to imbed cued up at appropriate time but start at 4:33 for just the snatch action

And of course there's this oldie but goodie, start at 26:14. He refers to "swing style snatch" taught in Russian Kettlebell Challenge tape and this variation, and then here, "The snatch close to the body..."

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom