all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How to make swings less boring ...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'll leave the sprint training advice to others more knowledgeable than me. I can say that at the start of the pandemic, when gyms closed, my wife had to stop her group classes. Luckily she had some experience with swings and getups so I started her out on S&S.

At first she hated the getups and loved the swings. After about 6 months of steady progression it was totally reversed and she loved the GUs but hated the swings and was mentally checking out of the program.

So about a month ago I pulled out @Geoff Neupert 's Kettlebell Express and we picked a program for her from there (Fundamentals Circuit), which is swings, getups and goblet squat as a complex, in a different order and for different durations three times per week. This morning she did 100 swings, 10 getups and 50 goblet squats in 25 minutes and loved it. Go figure.

She recently asked me for an actual program that would help her make better progress.
I'm of two minds here:

Mind 1: As an athlete, fun isn't the point. Training is often not "fun" (although it can be enjoyable).

Mind 2: If she finds 10 sets of 10 intimidating (or boring), then start with a medley (plenty have been recommended) or just decrease the volume or change the parameters - the former is obvious (3 sets, 5 sets, whatever), and the latter could be using a time cap (e.g. swing for five minutes) or swing on the minute nasal breathing only until you can't maintain peak power.

My daughter is 13, and wants to be stronger in order to be faster for sprinting in the track season in the spring. S

She typically does workouts that she finds on pinterest, get sweaty routines, using both bodyweight and the kettlebells and dumbbells that we own. She delights in the variety, and she does this for fun, I do not require it.

She recently asked me for an actual program that would help her make better progress.

Eric, at that age anything she does will make her stronger, even her current random training. Instead of trying to take on the role of strength coach and trying to optimize the training, consider showing her how to actually set up progressions on the stuff she likes and can do safely. Ask her to come up with a list of things she wants to do, let her own at least that much of the recipe. If what the two of you develop together isn't optimal, what's the downside? As long as it is safe. Besides, odds are in a few weeks she will want a change anyway.

I'm ok with boring, but I'm not the only person involved.

My daughter is 13, and wants to be stronger in order to be faster for sprinting in the track season in the spring. She is fairly strong already, she can perform a standing back tuck, for example. She has deadlifted 155 at 120 lbs. (In first deadlifting session ever, stopped at this weight rather than seeking true max)

She typically does workouts that she finds on pinterest, get sweaty routines, using both bodyweight and the kettlebells and dumbbells that we own. She delights in the variety, and she does this for fun, I do not require it.

My first thought was to have her do the swings part of S&S, two handed for simplicity. I figured that if she could get to swinging the 24kg 100 times, that would mean that her hinge would be stronger. And she would add plenty of other stuff for variety, she has the time. (I'm not going to have my kids do TGU -- we've had one ER trip related to that, not worth the risk given that I won't be able to be present)

Her immediate reaction to a program of 10 sets of 10 swings was that it was way too boring. I could tell her to suck it up, and that this boring routine will make her strong. But maybe there is a middle path? Maybe there is a way to meet her halfway -- giving her more of a structure, without it seeming totally dull?

So my question is: if you were going to try to improve a female client's strength (lower body particularly) and it seemed beneficial to make the program seem more interesting, how would you modify the swings protocol?

I will include deadlifts one day a week, but we need to keep the weight and reps low until we are more confident in form.

One more thing -- of course, sprinters need to sprint, and she will do that as weather permits.

Others have already suggested Dan Johns work, and I will continue. Consider this ClassicConditioning. If you click the link you get the big picture even thou the format is a bit all over the place. In his kettlebell book its more explained and structured.

I'll leave the sprint training advice to others more knowledgeable than me. I can say that at the start of the pandemic, when gyms closed, my wife had to stop her group classes. Luckily she had some experience with swings and getups so I started her out on S&S.

At first she hated the getups and loved the swings. After about 6 months of steady progression it was totally reversed and she loved the GUs but hated the swings and was mentally checking out of the program.

So about a month ago I pulled out @Geoff Neupert 's Kettlebell Express and we picked a program for her from there (Fundamentals Circuit), which is swings, getups and goblet squat as a complex, in a different order and for different durations three times per week. This morning she did 100 swings, 10 getups and 50 goblet squats in 25 minutes and loved it. Go figure.

I thought I owned most of Geoffs books but I must have missed that one!? :eek: Where can I get a hold of it?

If she's into barbells just go with it! Would follow an Easy Strength-y template. Easy sets of 2x5, moderate sets of 3x3, sometimes 5x2 working up to heavy-ish double.

Supplement with swings, goblet squats, push ups (can do in a circuit fashion to cut down on boredom and save time).

The key is finding a program she is excited to do. As a beginner anything will work. Once she's hooked she'll likely be more open to experimenting with other exercises.

Keep climbing those trees, cartwheeling , arsing about and running as fast as she can.
You are only young once, let them be young.
No point in adopting a mid 50something mindset on how to make swings....or any exercise....less boring and applying that to a 13 year old. Well I don't think so as a former 13 year old.
Find a tree, climb it, jump out, land with grace, roll out and sprint as fast as possible. Do it again from another tree.
If I was 13 again, that's what I would do. Partly because that's how I spent my youth, in between judo and football. I never trained formally as a sprinter but used to go along to athletic training and be bored s*itless with drills and whatnot. I never saw the purpose of track sprinting, preferring to run away from or chase someone.
Now as a 50 something I do drills and swing kettlebells to improve my sprinting. What goes around, comes around, eh?
Fun, movement and speed. Aka parkour.

Maybe I'm weird, but I really can't understand not enjoying exercising unless the weight is too heavy.

Keep climbing those trees, cartwheeling , arsing about and running as fast as she can.
You are only young once, let them be young.
No point in adopting a mid 50something mindset on how to make swings....or any exercise....less boring and applying that to a 13 year old. Well I don't think so as a former 13 year old.
Find a tree, climb it, jump out, land with grace, roll out and sprint as fast as possible. Do it again from another tree.
If I was 13 again, that's what I would do. Partly because that's how I spent my youth, in between judo and football. I never trained formally as a sprinter but used to go along to athletic training and be bored s*itless with drills and whatnot. I never saw the purpose of track sprinting, preferring to run away from or chase someone.
Now as a 50 something I do drills and swing kettlebells to improve my sprinting. What goes around, comes around, eh?
Fun, movement and speed. Aka parkour.
This 100%.
As an educator, father, avid fitness fan, let her play and choose. Definitely great of you to give her options. Lead by example, which you obviously are, and let her make decisions.

I thought I owned most of Geoffs books but I must have missed that one!? :eek: Where can I get a hold of it?
I can't remember exactly where I found the offer (maybe his newsletter?) But I bought it in early September along with Kettlebell Express Ultra, which is the doubles version. Both awesome of course! Maybe @Geoff Neupert can let you know how to get ahold of it?

Things on the horizon (purchased, but won't enter the basement gym until Christmas)
- 8lb and 10lb medicine balls (found them super cheap used, couldn't pass them up, should be fun but I have no idea for what)
- EZ curl bar (this was my daughter's request, in addition to curls, she sees it as convenient for shoulder press. 45lb bar not so convenient for kids that way. For whatever reason, she doesn't like to press kettlebells -- I haven't worried about it, she has strong arms for a girl.)
For the young sprinter who finds swings boring, this may be a much better modality and movement than the kb swing - and with much the same benefit, if not more:

Last edited:
I would try adding a sandbag to her routine. SB Shouldering and SB Loading are great hinge/ posterior chain excersises that break up the monotony of free weights. SB Carries are a GREAT finisher after any workout. Bear Hug Squats are also great. Start with 30 or 40 pounds and increase when it's easy

Mentally keeping track of rep ladders may be engaging enough to combat boredom.
10x10 --> 5x3.7.10

Is it a swing problem?

Or is that 10 sets of anything is boring?

(I definitely find 10 sets of anything boring)

Roll dice. 1st roll determines the type of swing. 2nd roll determines the size of bell. 3rd roll determines the number of sets. 4th roll determines the number of reps. 5th roll determines length of rest in between sets. Etc.... You can come up with your own set of rules

...so I started her out on S&S.

At first she hated the getups and loved the swings. After about 6 months of steady progression it was totally reversed and she loved the GUs but hated the swings and was mentally checking out of the program. So about a month ago I pulled out @Geoff Neupert 's Kettlebell Express and we picked a program for her from there (Fundamentals Circuit), which is swings, getups and goblet squat as a complex, in a different order and for different durations three times per week. This morning she did 100 swings, 20 getups and 50 goblet squats in 25 minutes and loved it. Go figure.

Just a follow up to this because I'm so proud of her... Today was the last workout of the program and my wife completed 13 sets (130 swings, 26 getups and 65 goblet squats) in 25 minutes with 12 kg. She managed just 7 sets in the first workout 6 weeks ago. She's a wee one at only five feet tall and about 44 kgs (98 lbs) and only willing to workout three days a week (opposites attract... I want to workout everyday and I'm 6'5" and 93kgs haha) So I'm very impressed and pleased as her very amateur coach and cheerleader.

I asked if she wanted to go back to S&S for a while and she said, "nope, I want to do another @Geoff Neupert program!"

Also, there's a ton of possibilities when you get into complexes. I think Brett has some great little complexes on his Instagram. I bet combining 3-5 moves with a long cycle would be more stimulating, and could net you a whole body routine in a very short condensed period of time.

Last edited:
Just a follow up to this because I'm so proud of her... Today was the last workout of the program and my wife completed 13 sets (130 swings, 26 getups and 65 goblet squats) in 25 minutes with 12 kg. She managed just 7 sets in the first workout 6 weeks ago. She's a wee one at only five feet tall and about 44 kgs (98 lbs) and only willing to workout three days a week (opposites attract... I want to workout everyday and I'm 6'5" and 93kgs haha) So I'm very impressed and pleased as her very amateur coach and cheerleader.

I asked if she wanted to go back to S&S for a while and she said, "nope, I want to do another @Geoff Neupert program!"
@Rumsmike - Those are EXCELLENT results!

Please congratulate your wife for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom