all posts post new thread

Bodyweight How To Mount Rings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Suggestions appreciated on how to mount rings. Details:

I have two sets of adjustable rings. The first is hung over my pullup bar - this works fine for some things but not others.

I want to mount the second set directly on the ceiling rafters in my basement. The top of the rafters is 10' above the floor, and the bottom is 9'.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

What do you mean by "directly"?
I'd just hang them over there like this...
Ring_1.JPG

or go for something like this...
Ring_2.JPG

or just put massive bolts in the wood to hang the rings from. This is my setup, no bolts in wood, but in the concrete ceiling...
20170809_234031.jpg

OK, here's the scoop on my setup and needs:

About your first picture: my rafters are 2' x 12", but they're attached to the bottom of the floor above, so I can't throw anything over them - although I could make holes big enough for the straps, which wouldn't have to be very big at all.

About your 2nd picture: if I do that, I give up a foot of height, and getting more height is my mission here - see the next paragraph:

About your picture #3: I'm doing archer pullups on the rings, which means I need to be able to change from about shoulder width spacing to roughly double that. The shorter the hanging length of the straps, the weirder it is when you put your arm straight out to the side - that's why I want to hang the rings as high as possible. If you look at a "real" gymnastic setup, it's rings hanging from a very high ceiling - I want to get as close to that as I can.

The floor above my rafters is wood, so I have to be careful because I don't want any hardware poking into the family room floor. :)

Make sense?

-S-

About your first picture: my rafters are 2' x 12", but they're attached to the bottom of the floor above, so I can't throw anything over them - although I could make holes big enough for the straps, which wouldn't have to be very big at all.

I like this idea. I don't like relying on bolts for wood if I will be 5 feet above the floor upside down (unless it's bolts, nuts and proper washers). If you go for this idea, make sure you round very well all the corners and edges you cut in the wood (to avoid stress concentration), and also the edges on the sides of the rafters so they don't cause damage to the straps over time.

@Steve Freides Do not cut holes in your floor joists!

2 x 4 and long deck screws attached to the side of the floor joist. Screwed through the backside of the joist. These are engineered floor joists, but will work the same on lumber. It works well for me. I can change the width of the rings easily for different exercises. Very cheap, easy, versatile, and secure.
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG

Agree with @Geoff Chafe 100%
Don't drill large (or any) holes into your floor joists.
I had a similar set up for my hang board and rock rings at my last house.

@Steve Freides Do not cut holes in your floor joists!

2 x 4 and long deck screws attached to the side of the floor joist. Screwed through the backside of the joist. These are engineered floor joists, but will work the same on lumber. It works well for me. I can change the width of the rings easily for different exercises. Very cheap, easy, versatile, and secure.
View attachment 3587
View attachment 3588
View attachment 3589
What an outstanding idea!
Nice job @Geoff Chafe and is very simple which is what makes so great.

ope @Steve Freides doesn't mind me butting in. When purchasing rings, anyone have any preferences on brand? I was looking at the ProCircle's on Amazon.
Do you have experience with rings?
You can get them made from plastic, wood or steel. Mine are some kind of plastic mix. It feels good, but I had the opportunity to use wooden rings and they feel so much better (for me). If I'd buy a new pair I'd go for wooden now.
So before deciding on a brand, decide on a material first.

Two things:

@Kettlebelephant, I've been a casual user of rings for years. I have a set from Tyler Haas RingTraining - Gymnastics Rings for Elite Fitness that I've probably owned for 10 years, and I've had aluminum rings on chain over a tree branch in the back yard for about as long.

Right now, I'm not picky about the material. I recently bought a second set Amazon.com : Reehut Gymnastic Rings W/ Adjustable Straps and, so far, they seem fine to me, too.

Change of subject - from Rings (gymnastics) - Wikipedia
  • Distance from point of attachment to lower inner side of the rings: 300 centimetres (9.8 ft) ± 1 centimetre (0.39 in)
  • Distance between two points of attachment: 50 centimetres (1.6 ft) ± 0.5 centimetres (0.20 in)
Does this mean that a standard, competition setup has at 9.8 feet of strap between the mounting point and the rings? That's how I read it. And it looks like about 20 inches between the rings.

I noticed, as I was practicing archer pullups on my current setup last night, that the straps actually slid outwards on my chinup bar as I extended my arm for the archer position, so I'm thinking that perhaps I should create my setup to keep the mounting points 20 inches apart but fixed.

-S-

I've been a casual user of rings for years. I have a set from Tyler Haas RingTraining - Gymnastics Rings for Elite Fitness that I've probably owned for 10 years
I have them, too. The EXF model. Thanks for that, I couldn't find the homepage anymore.

I noticed, as I was practicing archer pullups on my current setup last night, that the straps actually slid outwards on my chinup bar as I extended my arm for the archer position, so I'm thinking that perhaps I should create my setup to keep the mounting points 20 inches apart but fixed.
I have them 50cm/20in apart, because of the competition standards. Not that I want to compete in gymnastics, but it's a good general guideline.
Just FYI, I can do archer pullups (holds in my case) just fine with my setup (3rd pic from my earlier post). Since they have fixed mounting points you can actively push away the ring (your extended arm on the archer PU) without the straps sliding away on your bar/rafter/tree branch/etc.
It gives you a feeling of "locking yourself in" between the two rings.

I found - must have bought them earlier - a couple of big eyebolts and accompanying nuts and washers. I think that's the route I'm going to take.

-S-

@Steve Freides , If you want the rings to be fixed but keep the versatility of width-ranges, I'd suggest cutting notches/grooves into the top of the setup @Geoff Chafe presented. That way you can slip them securely into a groove at a particular width, and vary that width rather easily at your discretion. It also has the benefit of standardizing the widths you use.

@kodo kb, my current setup allows the width to vary, and I've come not to like it - fixed spacing at 20 inches is what I'm going to go with. For things like the archer pullup, I find it disconcerting for the ring to slide, and 20 inches seems to work just fine for me. I had a chance to try a fixed-width setup yesterday, on straps that are about as long as mine, and I found it far preferable.

I'm going to try the eyebolts asap, hopefully no longer than this weekend.

-S-

When I'm working on progressions or different push/pull exercises the numbered straps make it easy to note the height. From workout to workout you can get back to the same length.

Ring Archer Push-Up progression, start with the rings higher to get in a rep range you can manage as you increase reps lower the rings.
Muscle-up or skin the cat, start with the rings lower to be able to assist yourself off the ground, as you build strength raise the rings.
Mantle pull-ups, as part of a one-arm pull-up progression, you set rings at different heights. The assisting arm using the lower ring, as you build strength you continue to lower the ring.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom