all posts post new thread

Bodyweight How To Mount Rings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Joe Silva, you're welcome!

I'm not a gymnast - never have been, nor do I play one on TV. :) But I've gotten strong enough from the other things I've done that I can manage some of the things you mention.

How does changing the height of the rings change the difficulty of an archer pullup? I've done these on a few different setups lately and haven't noticed any difference. (The only thing I did notice was not liking how my rings, which are over a chinup bar, slid sideways when I did archer pullups, hence my desired for fixed-width mounting points, although the height will still be adjustable.) I'm new to archer pullups but was able to do one each side on a bar the first time I tried them, and can do a few back-and-forths on rings pretty easily.

I can see it for a muscle-up - higher is harder because lower allows you to cheat on the muscle-up part and just work on the support position.

For a Skin the Cat, I can't imagine what the difference would be. If someone has trouble curling themselves around to get into the StC, I can't imagine they'd have the strength to get out of that position. As I've worked on these, I've gone deeper but it's just a question of how far I let myself go around and not related to the height of the rings.

Mantle pullups - I had to look that up. I've done something similar on a pullup bar in a frame (like a TAPS) by grabbing the upright with the other hand, and I've always found them and similar variations pretty easy - I always felt like I was cheating because being able to push down on the other hand took away so much of the difficulty for me. I've also use a rope for the other hand and, again, it seems like too much assistance to me.

I don't mean to suggest my reactions are typical - because I have no clue. But I mention all of them because I can't see a lot of reason to change the height of my rings setup often - the muscle-up would be about the only reason, and now that I've been working on rings for a few weeks, I can't see any reason at all to change the width.

Thanks.

-S-

@Steve Freides , no problems love to share ideas.

I'm not a gymnast or anything, jump like doing rings work. It's a simple portable tool I can take to the park throw over a swing and do a full push/pull workout. There is also a lot of skill work you can add into your training.

Archer Push-Ups it helps you can tweak the incline making it easier. Will not help for Archer Pull-Ups.

Skin the Cat, when you lower the rings your feet can touch the ground at the bottom of the hang. That way you can kick up and work on the movement. The goal is to not need the support, as you build strength raise the rings. When I started I could just tap the floor with my toes, a month later at the same height I can do more reps and get my feet flat on the group. You build strength and range of motion.

Here's a nice Tucked Skin the Cat demo
Instagram post by Antranik Kinartna • Apr 17, 2015 at 11:48pm UTC

We should probably make a new thread talking about ring work advantages, instead of derailing this thread. :)

Mantle Pullup - done, one each side, rings mounted 20" apart, height differential was 24"

I got the left/right backwards in the descriptions - will try to fix

Conclusion - harder than on a TAPS bar but still feels like cheating to me because of the support from the pushing side.

And thank you to @305pelusa for pointing out to me that you mentioned archer _pushups_, not archer _pullups_ - I will try those another day as I'm running out of time today.

I'll pull all this out into another thread tonight.

Re: Skin the Cat, I got it the first time I tried it, just didn't go for a completely full range of motion. Over time, I just gradually went deeper and never tried putting my feet on the ground.

Thanks.

-S-

@Steve: As I said in my PM:

Set the difference in height between your rings such that when you're hanging with your "working arm", the other ring is at about stomach level. And now perform a Mantle Pull-up

Right now, when you're hanging, the assisting ring is by your face.

In other words, set the differential between them to be maybe like 40 inches or so (I don't know exactly). So that when you're hanging, that ring is by your belly.

And now go ahead and do a Mantle Pull-up.

And like I said before:
Be very cautious. You're about to feel what a true One-arm Chin-up feels like for part of the ROM.

@305pelusa, I will try it again tomorrow or the next day and report back. I just took a guess at the height of the lower ring because I was short on time today - now I understand what you mean.

-S-

@305pelusa, I will try it again tomorrow or the next day and report back. I just took a guess at the height of the lower ring because I was short on time today - now I understand what you mean.-S-
Yeah sure. Just let us know. I think once you try it, you'll finally become a believer and realize the true value of the exercise.

I'm happy to report that we put up eyebolts through the rafters yesterday and I did my first work on them. The eyebolts are almost 10 feet off the ground, and I've got the rings adjusted at about the height of my outstretched hands.

I'm using these

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHPSXJM

and they feel a little soft, like they ever so slightly elongated under my weight, but otherwise and for my purposes, they seem fine. And you can't beat the price.

-S-

I thought I'd report back on Mantle Pullups. The last time I had the rings 24" different in height. This time I set the rings at 34-1/2" different in height - - and it was _much_ harder. I got one each side, then on the second try, only got the first arm (right at top), rested a few minutes, and got it with left at the top, but still just barely.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom