all posts post new thread

Barbell How to program a once a week DL maintenance program for doublebodyweight?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I wrote "close to failure" because it's a once per week program which means whether the goal is maintenance or not you can afford to exercise close to AMRAP which has benefits for strength and hypertrophy. It's a judgement call but personally I wouldn't just exercise sub-maximally once per week in the expectation of holding onto a max. What I would do is 3x3 @ 85% plus a higher volume set close to failure.
I wouldn't go above 85% if you're training only once a week, and I wouldn't try to keep your current 1RM. Be content with pulling 65-85% or so most of the time, and work up to your previous 1RM when you have time to train more often.

JMO.

-S-

Yes, that is what I really mean to say. I don't want to spend that much time getting back to my 1rm so I want to keep it closer. I have an 8 week window for dedicated barbell effort once a year and want more time to make gains.

I am doing the SF PTTP SFL user guide program. 2*5 bench and DL 4 times a week. Hence, the only once a week thinking. I switch to Muay Thai for fitness kB ladders, jumping rope, goblet squats for volume, bodyweight etc. totally different focus from my winter training but I really like my results so far and don't want to spend as much time next year coming back to it. I am almost 50 by the way, which is a factor.

You mention doing a heavy day and having two rest days afterwards. That sounds like a chance for progress instead of maintenance to me. But of course, it's your goal and not mine.

Plenty of great and amateur lifters have managed to improve on their deadlift training it once a week. I've been successful myself. If anything, it seems to be the norm, so I wonder why I get the feeling that the option is played down in this thread.

Of course, it also depends on the rest of the program and how much it helps with the deadlift.
The devil is in the details here. Squatting like a powerlifter has a significant carryover to the deadlift; I don't think anyone who doesn't have that sort of training program will do much for their deadlift unless there is something in their program with carryover. Swings and/or snatches could be that thing in some circumstances, especially snatches, IMO.

-S-

The devil is in the details here. Squatting like a powerlifter has a significant carryover to the deadlift; I don't think anyone who doesn't have that sort of training program will do much for their deadlift unless there is something in their program with carryover. Swings and/or snatches could be that thing in some circumstances, especially snatches, IMO.

-S-

Yes, the other exercises play into it like I said, and I specifically mentioned the kettlebell ballistics.

I would also like to point out that individual proficiency in the specific lift plays into it as well. I don't know enough to guess anything about it regarding this case.

In the end, I think it's worth a try. Why not? Give it eight weeks, see if it's enjoyable and something that can be done consistently, and whether it maintains or advances the deadlift, or if it should be scrapped.

You can try Pavel's vodka and pickles articles parts 1 and 2.I finished both programs and had a 2.25 x BW DL.They work and wont take up much time.

You can try Pavel's vodka and pickles articles parts 1 and 2.I finished both programs and had a 2.25 x BW DL.They work and wont take up much time.

Thanks. I like the approach of practice singles which is what I used to do. I still reset every rep and don't do touch and go with the 5rep sets in the program.

However, I do Muay Thai twice a week for fitness and KB ladders, carries, goblet squats, swings etc. so I am not willing or able to do any barbell program that calls for three times week as I don't have a barbell at home, only kettlebells. Hence, the once a week thing. I prioritize the deadlift only every winter. I was thinking more along the lines of 10 to 15 singles at 80-85 percent and adding a bit if it starts to feel easy. I would probably do press ladders after as I feel my shoulders get worked from boxing and holding thai pads and so once a week is enough. The pickles and vodka does not seem to have enough intensity for what I am looking for.

I'm doing Mark Reifkind's triple progression protocol with deadlifts and floor presses. There's an article on it somewhere on this website. It suits someone who only has access to a barbell one day a week. I use swings and push ups as accessory exercises during the week.

I'm doing Mark Reifkind's triple progression protocol with deadlifts and floor presses. There's an article on it somewhere on this website. It suits someone who only has access to a barbell one day a week. I use swings and push ups as accessory exercises during the week.

Thanks Mario. This looks great. It is actually a once a week program focus, the increased sets would allow me to go down to a weight where I could keep my doubleoverhand grip, and I don't have a home barbell gym just an apartment building one, so plates and space are an issue, but I have enough for a 5*5 program. Since I just finished a "pure strength" program with PTTP I would not mind a bit more volume. I can spare an hour a week of dedicated deadlift time with my twice a week muay thai and this would not interfere with my goblet squat, press ladders, carries, swings, and GPP strength-endurance type work I do in the spring that I pair with the boxing during and between the boxing gym. Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom