all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How to Program Barbells, Kettlebells and Martial Arts?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Another way to look at this - when trying to develop your squat....
--Do you train with your PR weight everyday?
--Or do you train with your 65-90% training weight, which is another 5-10% less than your PR weight? And every so often you test yourself to find your new PR?
Same applies to your mat time.

Same applies to your mat time.
It doesn’t. They are non similar activities.

You also sidestepped my question on why the top killer is the top killer if they are training sub optimally. If they were injured as often as you state, they would miss too much mat time to have that level of skill on the mat.

Name a world champion who doesn’t train hard everyday during their prime. I don’t know of a single one.

FYI, because I feel like it may have been lost. But my argument was you stating that the training was sub optimal for being good at BJJ. I agree wholeheartedly that it is suboptimal for a hobbyist who is outside their athletic Prime or using BJJ as a way to improve their quality of life through exercise. That way of training is very hard and part of the reason PEDs are so rampant in competitive BJJ. What you’re stating is more optimal for most hobbyist practitioners.

With that said, that manner of training is 100% the way champions train and the way to be the best at BJJ. I think stating it isn’t because it doesn’t fit a hobbyist is disingenuous.

Gordon Ryan does not train 100-110% of his own capacity every day. Neither do any of the others in Danaher's stable. They train every day at 65-90% of "their personal" capacity on a daily basis. Never missing a day. Peaking with higher intensities when they get closer to competitions. Firas will train with, and bring his guys with him to Danaher... It is one big incestueous cross training pool of Athletes.

That optimal training range of 65-90% does not change in relation to the self regardless if you are a hobbyist, clean pro, or PED user. It is "your" optimal numbers for "you". Conversely, the 30-40% capacity of a PED Pro Athlete might be the 150-180% capacity of the high level hobbyist. Putting these two people together for daily training would be bad for both trainees and their respective development.

Sometimes using some other example makes the argument clear. Training skill is training skill regardless of the specific activity. And regardless of the type of skill, they share very similar traits on how to develop them optimally. The idea of being within your personal range of capacity with occasional testing of limits is a universal principle.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is suboptimal for a hobbyist who is outside their athletic Prime or using BJJ as a way to improve their quality of life through exercise. That way of training is very hard and part of the reason PEDs are so rampant in competitive BJJ. What you’re stating is more optimal for most hobbyist practitioners.

Which was also my point.

Having rolled with Eddie and Garry, they are training way closer to competition speed than 65%. Where are you getting your data? Are you moving your goal posts to training capacity instead of training hard? They have the ability to train damn close to 100% in rolls because they built the capacity, same as your gym killer.

Still sidestepping my question, how is that dude in your original scenario a top killer based upon everything you’re saying against him?

Last edited:
I stopped training before Gordon Ryan surged, so I don’t know much about him. But it looks like he trains pretty damn hard.

“Gordon trains 1-2+ sessions of BJJ every day.

Each session is 1 hour and forty minutes.”

“He always picks the hardest rolls, no matter how tired he is”

“If he’s hurt, he’ll continue to train around those injuries.

But competitors — unless they are very sick — should never miss any training. If you want to be the best in the world, you can’t take time off as a normal person would.”

“He takes losing in training very seriously, and he strives to be the best in the gym in all aspects.”

that does not show he is training at 100-110% for his training capacity.
To see his 100-110% you need to watch a competition match. His daily training is lower than a tournament match, and then he peaks for the match.

BTW - that also shows that BJJ development is no different than any other Pro Athlete in any other sport.

How does it show your claim that he is at 65%?!? That article seems to go against what you’re claiming and you have yet to answer pretty direct questions or provide evidence. He specifically goes over peaking for competition and never mentions undulating how hard he is rolling in that discussion. What he does state is that he treats the rolls in the gym exactly the same as he does the competition.

“He thinks about each match as the same thing he does every day, just in a different environment. It’s just another roll in a different environment. And that different environment is irrelevant.”

Which follows exactly what I’ve been saying and have experienced training with the best of the best.

I’ll go ahead and end my side of this debate unless you choose to provide evidence backing your claims or answer my direct question on the killer.

Back
Top Bottom