all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How to program intensity for carries?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mvikred

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Does anyone have a view on how one programs weights for carry based programs? I come across many programs but in all I did not see any suggestions on the weight suggestions. So my question is "How do you come up with a starting weight for carries?"

An excellent question

What is the intent you want to get out of the carries? That gives you more clues how to program

I'm also interested in the topic. Waiting for some tips from more advanced strength practicioners.

Does anyone have a view on how one programs weights for carry based programs? I come across many programs but in all I did not see any suggestions on the weight suggestions. So my question is "How do you come up with a starting weight for carries?"
I think "To a comfortable stop" is a good rule of thumb for carries. Never to absolute failure but rather to form failure. Take a generous break and then pick up the weights again.

Depends on what you are using them for.
Carrie’s for conditioning I usually grab a bell hard enough to make it a challenge and the go for density. So something like three minutes and track how many laps you do and how many times you set it down during the period.

Max carry is more practice them a bunch and push your deadlift while managing fatigue. Learn to love trap bar deadlifts. The only way you are going to learn to carry 500lbs is carrying a lot of weight progressively.

Also this is a fun carry variation for conditioning.
Complete with where to start and how to work up to the harder version

But to directly answer your question, trial and error. Pick something that feels doable lighter is probably better.

Last edited:
@mvikred What is your goal? Are you preparing for some competition, or just want to better at carrying heavy stuff? If the former, you might need some professional advice, but if the latter, @Adam R Mundorf hit the nail,
Never to absolute failure
Grab some heavy dumbells for instance, and walk as far as you can, but don't allow your grip to collapse. Stop before it. Rest, Repeat. Try to walk further next week, or pick up heavier dumbells.
Make it fun, but not a death or life battle.

I first pick a time and then pick a distance suited for the time. Then a load based on the time.

Most of the time I go for 15s or 30s. I suppose I've learned to roughly equate seconds to yards.

If I want to progress in the carries, I have to experience a certain level of discomfort, and somehow do more than I've typically done before in a certain timeframe. If I do the same, what does the body have to adapt to?

I usually defer to Dan John when it comes to loaded carries, nice article on weights here:

@paules According to the article

Bodyweight on the left, load on the right
  • Under 135 pounds: Double 24s
  • 136–185 pounds: Double 32s
  • 186–216 pounds: Double 40s
  • Over 216 pounds: Double 48s
If my current weight (165) is within the range 136-185 I should grab 165 in the left and double 32kg in the right? Or is just 32+32?
My kettlebell arsenal included double 32, single 40, and single 48 kg.

@paules According to the article

Bodyweight on the left, load on the right
  • Under 135 pounds: Double 24s
  • 136–185 pounds: Double 32s
  • 186–216 pounds: Double 40s
  • Over 216 pounds: Double 48s
If my current weight (165) is within the range 136-185 I should grab 165 in the left and double 32kg in the right? Or is just 32+32?
My kettlebell arsenal included double 32, single 40, and single 48 kg.
Based on your body weight your starting weights would be 32+32.

An excellent question

What is the intent you want to get out of the carries? That gives you more clues how to program
The intent is building general strength ! I always do carries at the end of all my sessions ... suitcases, rack, and overhead .. 50-100 steps each depending on how i feel that day. Sometimes single KB and other times double. I just feel it gives me a good indication of my body's asymmetries. Also carries are time tested way to get oldman strength. Why would any of us not want that, right? :)

Hope that answers the other questions as well.

I usually defer to Dan John when it comes to loaded carries, nice article on weights here:

This is helpful. In fact Dan is a big proponent of carries, along with of course @AleksSalkin . Listening to both over time I realised that I need to just put them as finishers into my workouts to benefit the gains. So I end most of my sessions with carries.

Load, time/intervals, distance, speed, the course (grass/flat/hills/etc) and the carry that you are performing can all be varied.
What do you want to accomplish?
What equipment do you have?
What kind(s) of loaded carries are you proficient at/want to be proficient at/prefer?
What access to a track/trail/field/stairs/hill/etc do you have?
How much time do you want to give this?

The intent is building general strength ! I always do carries at the end of all my sessions ... suitcases, rack, and overhead .. 50-100 steps each depending on how i feel that day. Sometimes single KB and other times double. I just feel it gives me a good indication of my body's asymmetries. Also carries are time tested way to get oldman strength. Why would any of us not want that, right? :)

Hope that answers the other questions as well.
Here's a sampler you can try .

Find a pair of bells that are heavy for you...

Clean the bells then walk a given distance
Crawl the same distance
Clean the bells again and do 3-5 squats
Do 3-5 sets

Load, time/intervals, distance, speed, the course (grass/flat/hills/etc) and the carry that you are performing can all be varied.
What do you want to accomplish?
What equipment do you have?
What kind(s) of loaded carries are you proficient at/want to be proficient at/prefer?
What access to a track/trail/field/stairs/hill/etc do you have?
How much time do you want to give this?
All very valid questions @Boris Bachmann

I live in concrete jungle, so most of my carries I do at home, on marble flooring. So I typically play around with different kinds of carries - suitcase, rack, overhead, waiters, bottoms-up

Of course the heaviest weights I can manage are suitcase carries followed by rack and overhead. The weakest probably are waiters and BU. I can manage only a 12kg with BU carries and 20kg for waiters.

I typically spend 10 mins on this. Nothing more but I do it with as little rest as possible.

I want to be proficient with all carries .. but the weakest right now is bottoms up .. if I can build that up to 24kg Kbs, I would be very happy.

Here's a sampler you can try .

Find a pair of bells that are heavy for you...

Clean the bells then walk a given distance
Crawl the same distance
Clean the bells again and do 3-5 squats
Do 3-5 sets
Great suggestion .. and something I always do as finishers .. combine carries with OS stuff and limit it to 3 sets.

I know you've done RoTK but did you ever look at Dan John's Left of Passage plan in the FAQs at the back? Obviously the program involves more than carries but they're programmed into it using the same bells you're pressing, and for set distances and numbers of repeats. Could be worth a look, depending on how your other training is looking at the moment.

When I'm doing carries (generally as finishers), I'll choose my distance - which is generally just some way up my street - and use bells that are challenging enough that they're difficult by the end of a single loop up and back. Most often I'm using a 36kg and a 40kg (at my bodyweight of 80kg), and I'll assess the number of loops depending on how I'm feeling. Usually I do three loops, taking around 10 minutes for my whole carry portion of the session. I might even try walking a little further, too, again depending on the day.

I know you've done RoTK but did you ever look at Dan John's Left of Passage plan in the FAQs at the back? Obviously the program involves more than carries but they're programmed into it using the same bells you're pressing, and for set distances and numbers of repeats. Could be worth a look, depending on how your other training is looking at the moment.

When I'm doing carries (generally as finishers), I'll choose my distance - which is generally just some way up my street - and use bells that are challenging enough that they're difficult by the end of a single loop up and back. Most often I'm using a 36kg and a 40kg (at my bodyweight of 80kg), and I'll assess the number of loops depending on how I'm feeling. Usually I do three loops, taking around 10 minutes for my whole carry portion of the session. I might even try walking a little further, too, again depending on the day.
I haven't looked at the Left of Passage Plan that you are referring to. But I will look at it now.

I do something pretty similar with the carries like you. But I do use weights that are smaller :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom