all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How to program intensity for carries?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I haven't looked at the Left of Passage Plan that you are referring to. But I will look at it now.

I do something pretty similar with the carries like you. But I do use weights that are smaller :)
Something I got from the internet

Monday-Medium Day
1. First combo: 3x(1,2,3)
2. Second combo: 8 repeats (80 double kettlebell swings, 320 meters of farmer's walks)

Wednesday-Light Day
1. First combo: 2x(1,2,3)
2. Second combo: 4 repeats (40 double kettlebell swings, 160 meters of farmer's walks)

Friday-Heavy Day
1. First combo: 4x(1,2,3)
2. Second combo: 10 repeats (100 double kettlebell swings, 400 meters of farmer's walks)

Not sure of the progression of the pressing section. I'm assuming it will be similar to that of ROTK.

Monday-Medium Day
2. Second combo: 8 repeats (80 double kettlebell swings, 320 meters of farmer's walks)

Wednesday-Light Day
2. Second combo: 4 repeats (40 double kettlebell swings, 160 meters of farmer's walks)

Friday-Heavy Day
2. Second combo: 10 repeats (100 double kettlebell swings, 400 meters of farmer's walks)

Not sure of the progression of the pressing section. I'm assuming it will be similar to that of ROTK.
Those first combos are double CPs and pullups à la RoP, and Dan agreed on another forum that the progression would work in a similar way to RoP. So pretty similar to RoTK, yes, perhaps without pushing the density.

Depends on what you are using them for.
Carrie’s for conditioning I usually grab a bell hard enough to make it a challenge and the go for density. So something like three minutes and track how many laps you do and how many times you set it down during the period.

Max carry is more practice them a bunch and push your deadlift while managing fatigue. Learn to love trap bar deadlifts. The only way you are going to learn to carry 500lbs is carrying a lot of weight progressively.

Also this is a fun carry variation for conditioning.
Complete with where to start and how to work up to the harder version

But to directly answer your question, trial and error. Pick something that feels doable lighter is probably better.

Can confirm that is a fun one.

I do 6x25m Trapbar Farmers Carrys.
Dan Johns said in Easy Strength that on days when you do singles to only do 6 singles, with every carry needing a Deadlift to get the weight up. Once up I carry for 25m because that is a distance that I can do under weight in 15s.
If it takes me longer the weight is to heavy, much quicker and its too light.

Here's a sampler you can try .

Find a pair of bells that are heavy for you...

Clean the bells then walk a given distance
Crawl the same distance
Clean the bells again and do 3-5 squats
Do 3-5 sets
Mark is right here. Make sure there is a place to puke if you don't put the bells down and decide to do this 5-8 sets.

Dan John's Eagle. Double 24's. Clean, 8 squats, walk distance, clean, 8 squats up to 8 sets. Make sure phone is near where you finish when you dial 911. I'd rather do a 10 minute snatch test than this all day.

Monday-Medium Day

Wednesday-Light Day

Friday-Heavy Day

Ah the left of passage

The legend himself!
Came very close to puking all over a public gym the first time I tried this. Quickly became a favorite for indoors though, so thanks.
One of my favorites too, I have a playground right near me with an old basketball court that is perfect for this workout.

Bryce Lane's 50/20 got a bunch of stuff for carries. Check it out:
I prefer a lot the version of presses and carries both done twice a week twenty mins. with the kettlebells.

@paules and @mikhael , following Dan John's weight prescription what are your thoughts on time/distance that is appropriate at those weights?

I've been doing 24kg+24kg and feel like I'm ready to move up to 28s or 32s. I've been doing approximately 1:1 work rest for 5x1min (75 paces) these past couple of months.

I didn't say this earlier but should have - there's something to be said for not being overly prescriptive in your loaded carry work. Just being consistent and including it in the training mix and gradually adding frequency or time or load as you get stronger will reap a lot of benefits longer term, and might actually be better than having the perfect program that you follow for three weeks and then toss out.

@paules and @mikhael , following Dan John's weight prescription what are your thoughts on time/distance that is appropriate at those weights?

I've been doing 24kg+24kg and feel like I'm ready to move up to 28s or 32s. I've been doing approximately 1:1 work rest for 5x1min (75 paces) these past couple of months.
I agree with @Boris Bachmann post, I wouldn’t recommend being overly prescriptive with loaded carries. Sometimes I use them as a finisher, sometimes they are my training session. DJ recommends varying each loaded carry session.

@Benjamin Renaud When I'm in a gym I do Farmer's Carry with double 36s kg with Fat Gripz attached to them. Usually I cover 30 steps for 3-5 times, and stop before my grip fails. Then I do Suitcase Carry with 26kg Dumbell, also with Fat Gripz. Currently I'm on vacation and have two kettlebells with me, 24, and 40kg, so what I did was Suitcase Carry with the latter for 30-50 steps. I don't measure time, only distance in steps, and try to cover a little more then each session.

I was just listening to Peter Attia on the Huberman Lab podcast and he has a standard for his clients of farmer carrying body weight (half BW in each hand) for two minutes. He didn’t give any explanation for this standard but sounds interesting. Might give it a try tomorrow.

@Benjamin Renaud When I'm in a gym I do Farmer's Carry with double 36s kg with Fat Gripz attached to them. Usually I cover 30 steps for 3-5 times, and stop before my grip fails. Then I do Suitcase Carry with 26kg Dumbell, also with Fat Gripz. Currently I'm on vacation and have two kettlebells with me, 24, and 40kg, so what I did was Suitcase Carry with the latter for 30-50 steps. I don't measure time, only distance in steps, and try to cover a little more then each session.
Do the Fatgripz close fully over the handles of the 36s? Sounds like a tough carry if they don't (and even if they do)

I think all these suggestions can be summed up pretty much like this.

Just grab a pair of any modality and walk with it. If you feel like doing a long distance walk go for it and if you feel like doing a shorter walk, thats also ok. Use whatever you have in terms of weights and alternate between what you have. What ive been reading from all the masters, Variability is key. Only you can decide what works best for you at that moment of the day at that time. There was a beautiful article written by strong first about Mark Reifkind, Master Instructor. In that, all 5 of the points can make sense here:
1. You stand on the shoulders of giants
2. N=1 What works for ups? Solve your own training problems
3. Conisistency trumps intensity and intensity is born from consistency.
4. Control the breath, control the body
5. Feed-forward tension Is the master key to strength

Hope this helps

One thing to add to this in regards to doing heavy farmer walks.
You need to glide. a rapid heel toe walk keeps your supports under you and keeps the weight from swaying, which can be a bad thing for heavy farmer walks. And don't forget to brace hard and if needed breathe behind the shield. (lots of people I know basically just hold their breath for the walk if possible).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom