all posts post new thread

Bodyweight How To Progress With Calisthenics Fast

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alalabiedh

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello everyone I am a new member of the forum I exercise body weight for five months my body improves day by day and weight 68 kg and long 175 cm I need your advice and experiences useful and consider me your friend from Tunisia, this is a video of me and I practice exercises by adding weights :

Attachments

• IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 10
Hello,

@alalabiedh
Welcome to the forum.

Considering the thread title, what is your "precise" goal ? Do you want to achieve a specific move ? Doing a move with a specific added weight or do you want to do a specific number of repetitions ? Finally, do you have any injury history ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

On a general note, I might suggest using less or no weight and ensuring a full range of motion on each rep. From 1:15-1:25 in your video would be an example of what I would consider 'partial reps'.

@Dasho Thank you for the suggestion but I think that the first day with weight gain in the exercise is difficult to do 10 or 12 repetitions in the coming weeks and I want to ask you how many days I have to go running

I imagine the 'fastest' and more importantly safest way to progress would be to attend a StrongFirst Bodyweight course, a PlanStrong event for planning programs/training and for you to get in touch with a SFB instructor either online or near you.

I highly suggest you start by reading all articles by Karen Smith, Karen Smith profile page and do some research on Pavel Tsatsouline's work ie his articles here Pavel Tsatsouline profile page and some of his books Naked Warrior (a bodyweight program for the Pistol and One-Arm Push-Up), Power to the People (a Deadlift and Press program but goes into some detail about strength, muscle and human biology) and Beyond BodyBuilding (more biology and some great bodyweight programs at the end used by NASA and Elite Military Units).

Last edited:
@alalabiedh, please consider @CraigAlexanderWigham's suggestions. On our forum, we are concerned with implementing StrongFirst principles and recommended practices. What you've said and shown in your video so far indicates you aren't familiar with StrongFirst. Try reading some of the many, excellent articles on this web site, and purchase a copy of Pavel's bodyweight book, "Naked Warrior."

There is no general reason one must do 10-12 reps of chinups (and the version you're doing, with your palms facing you, is generally called a chinup here, while the version with palms facing away is called a pullup). We recommend you do them full-range, and if you need, lower the rep count, lower the additional weight, or both.

-S-

Hello,

@alalabiedh
Are you after the bar MU or ring MU ? The second one requires a different technique (false grip and also a special work on the transition between the chin up and the dip). On the long haul, depending on the training volume you have, ring MU can be less taxing for the joints (bit this is highly personal of course)

Even if there is no absolute numbers, what is your max rep chin up (in a full ROM) and dip (in a full ROM).

Here is a tutorial about ring MU:

Here is the bar version:

A. Kavadlo also did other videos with hips

Kind regards,

Pet'

Some of those reps didn't look too bad to me, some were a bit rushed though. Maybe try settling into a dead hang at the bottom of each rep and count to one ie. say to yourself and one, and then do your next rep. It's OK to do a bit of strength work where you don't pause at the top but the bulk of your work should be more controlled with a definite pause at the top.

Are you doing any triceps extension work ?

If you neglect that and just focus on pullups there's a good chance you'll hurt your elbows when you are learning the transition from the pullup to the press out on the muscle up.

A low bar (around chest height) can be really helpful there, you can do dips and negative muscle ups to help build the strength you need for a full muscle up later on.

@Tarzan i do extension triceps i work for 40 Min for 3 days a week :
Monday: Pull Ups / Chin Ups / Australian Pull / chin ups +Core
Wednesday : Dips / One Bar Dips / Extension / Diamond Push Ups +Core
Friday : Squat /Jump Squat/BRACED SQUAT/Knee Rise + Core

And Before i Start Calisthenics i have 7 Months Of Gym Bodybuilding i have gained some weight i start from 53 kg to 62 kg no Suppliments only foods and i get 6 kg with 5 months of calisthenics i have to go to 75 kg Totaly in this year 2018.

Hello,

And Before i Start Calisthenics i have 7 Months Of Gym Bodybuilding i have gained some weight i start from 53 kg to 62 kg no Suppliments only foods and i get 6 kg with 5 months of calisthenics
This is more than 1kg per month. I have no doubt this is mainly beef, but it seems huge. How about your %BF evolution ?

i have to go to 75 kg Totaly in this year 2018
Do you have a meet or something ? 62 to 75 in 12 months, it is 13kg in 12 month. 1kg of "pure muscle" per month.

If you are looking for both mass and calisthenic skill, you may find interesting some Kavadlo's stuff:
C-Mass Paul Wade | Calisthenics Book | DD

"Raising the bar" can lead you then to the MU you are chasing:
Raising the Bar Book | Calisthenics Book | DD

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' i don't Run but my BF is 12% and my weight not 62 now he is 68 i just need to add 7 kg in one year that's not impossible i need to get a good body this year with 75 kg and 8% BF to Post in personel channel in youtube beacause i like help others and share my opinion and also my transformation to get motivate others

No-one's touched this all day, I wonder why ???

Sorry if this seems like a negative post but your goals seem unrealistic to me, sure it's possible to gain that much through calisthenics & diet but it's going to be a tough slog to keep making gains like that. Your early results results are very impressive (9kg in six months) but gains like that are beginner gains that normally start to taper off around the 4 - 6 month period after starting any form of training.

To expect to gain another 7 kg is doable but it has a strong chance of pushing you into a chronic state of over training and you could compromise your health.

Calisthenics combined with a sensible eating program will create the body you desire but once you start to get into some of the more advanced stages of training it's very easy to do too much and cause problems with recovery which will stifle your muscle growth and performance.

To excel at calisthenics you need to keep your weight down in contrast to a bodybuilder approach where weight gain is the goal.

I'd consider this guy to be in the top 3% of calisthenic gurus around these days and this video tells it better than I ever could.

Your early gains were at top of the bell curve and experience says you're at the stage where those gains are tapering off.

Just focus on developing your skills and the gains will come in time.

& Again sorry for the negativity, that wasn't my intention.

I wish you well on your journey into calisthenics.

Last edited:
ok bro no problém i focus in training and with home foods i get best transformation in 5 months i see other person who trained for 6 months don't get my résult fast i hope with time i will get stronger than now

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom