all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How to progress- your opinion?!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

elli

Level 10 Valued Member
Hi everyone!

Question: How did you increase the weight on your (2H) swings?
I am talking about doing 10x10 2H swings EMOM.
I would like to progress from 16kg (safely done) to 20kg (the next heavier kbell I have).
Any suggestions how to move on?
9x10 @16kg, 1 ×10 @20? Next time 8:2, 7:3 until 10x10?
Or as many sets as possible @20kg and then switch to 16kg?

I would love your input and compare your experience/opinion with what I have in mind.
Thanks in advance :)
elli

I just grab a heavier KB when I feel I'm ready. I think there is no reasonable progression when it comes to swings. You just swing. It's all about technique. One set of 10 strong and powerful swinsg is better than 10 sets of weak repetitions. Keeping that in mind, go and grab your 20, and do set of 10 reps.

Once you are comfortable with 10x10 with 16 kg I would switch to 20 kg. Start with sets of 3 - starting lower is always better than otherwise - build to 10 sets, then increase the reps in a set. When things start getting hard do one light session with 16 kg bell.

I personally wouldn't do 16 kg finishers, could be too much volume.

I would start by doing your sets of 10 like this (by weight): 16, 20, 16 x 8 for a week or 2, then progress by 16, 20, 20, 16 x 7 and so on and so forth. That is how I progressed S&S moving from 24 to 32 1HSw.

thanks a lot
@mikhael
@Tobias Wissmueller
@LightningFast
@JamesPTA
for your suggestions.
I have started swinging the 20kg today. after 2 sets @16 I gave it a go and continued as long as I felt save with 20kg... ended up doing 13 sets between 10 to 15 reps.
Now I will work on more explosiveness. and hopefully it won't interfere too much with grip/ climbing.
hoal is to do 10 swing sessions with the 20kg during this month.

thanks a lot
@mikhael
@Tobias Wissmueller
@LightningFast
@JamesPTA
for your suggestions.
I have started swinging the 20kg today. after 2 sets @16 I gave it a go and continued as long as I felt save with 20kg... ended up doing 13 sets between 10 to 15 reps.
Now I will work on more explosiveness. and hopefully it won't interfere too much with grip/ climbing.
hoal is to do 10 swing sessions with the 20kg during this month.
Elli... it shouldn't compromise your climbing grip strength as long as you grip the bell lightly. There is no need to have a death grip on the thing.

Elli... it shouldn't compromise your climbing grip strength as long as you grip the bell lightly. There is no need to have a death grip on the thing.
just afraid to throw the bell into the mirror *lol*
no, seriously - as loose as possible!

Hi @elli :)

If I'm doing 10 x 10 1H and working in a new one, and "A" is the regular bell (your 16kg) and "B" is the next heavier (your 20kg), I might do:

10 R with A
10 L with A
10 R with A
10 L with A
7 R with B
7 L with B
7 R with B
7 L with B
6 R with B
6 L with B
10 R with A
10 L with A

Then in next sessions, progressing towards sets of 10 with B, and more sets overall with B. But I always like to do the challenging one in the middle -- after a set or two with the regular one, and not at the very end when fatigued.

thanks @Anna C :)
maybe you planted the seed to implement 1H swings during the next months with your post *lol* but I am rather thinking of 14kg... or 12...

maybe you planted the seed to implement 1H swings during the next months with your post *lol* but I am rather thinking of 14kg... or 12...

Oh, yes, 2H (sorry, missed that)... same thing should work for 2H progressions. A couple of sets with A, then move to B for slightly smaller sets until you start to feel a bit of loss of power, then back to A. :)

Hey Elli. It seems like you and I are at similar stages . Ive been swinging my 20kg for a few months now. I aim for 100 2H swings in a session. So, to progress from 16kg to 20kg, I started with the 16kg - 20 reps, 4 sets. Then grabbed the 20kg for 10 reps, 2 sets. Now, gradually over about 6 months Im doing 20kg 20 reps, 5 sets. Just in the last 2 weeks, I thought to myself, I wonder if I could start 1H swings with my 20kg. So, now Im doing 2H - 4 sets of 20 reps with the 20kg then for the final 20 reps, I grab the 20kg again, swing the first rep with two hands, put the bell into one hand and swing it for one rep, grab it again and swing it with 2 hands and so on. Gradually then, 1st rep with 2 hands, 2nd and 3rd rep with single hand back to 2H and so on until you get stronger. The biggest problem Im finding is that my small hands need to get a firm grip,on the 20kg bell..the handle is thicker. Good luck!

I progressed by NOT doing EMOM, instead reduced reps when needed to 5, although 7 feels most comfy. Also when doing swings 7 days per week I'd prefer a total volume of 70 reps, so 7Rx10 or 10Rx7. Rest between sets would automatically reduce.

Hey Elli. It seems like you and I are at similar stages . Ive been swinging my 20kg for a few months now. I aim for 100 2H swings in a session. So, to progress from 16kg to 20kg, I started with the 16kg - 20 reps, 4 sets. Then grabbed the 20kg for 10 reps, 2 sets. Now, gradually over about 6 months Im doing 20kg 20 reps, 5 sets. Just in the last 2 weeks, I thought to myself, I wonder if I could start 1H swings with my 20kg. So, now Im doing 2H - 4 sets of 20 reps with the 20kg then for the final 20 reps, I grab the 20kg again, swing the first rep with two hands, put the bell into one hand and swing it for one rep, grab it again and swing it with 2 hands and so on. Gradually then, 1st rep with 2 hands, 2nd and 3rd rep with single hand back to 2H and so on until you get stronger. The biggest problem Im finding is that my small hands need to get a firm grip,on the 20kg bell..the handle is thicker. Good luck!
I try 1H swings with 12 or 14kg every onxe in a while - I just do not like them. Might be the position/ slight rotation. I do not feel solid when doing them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom