all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How To Strengthen The Lungs After Pleurisy?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bencrush

Level 5 Valued Member
My wife was diagnosed with pleurisy a week ago. She has been having a tough time the past 6 weeks. We found out that blunt force trauma could be what caused it. First thing we thought of was the car wreck in late October.

Last night she asked me if I had any ideas to strengthen her lungs now that the meds are making it easier for her to breathe. My first thought was swings on the minute with nose-breathing and long recoveries. Which would mean low reps, with pretty light weight.

This is (IMO) the best community to ask for input on this topic. I have researched online and found the standard post-pneumonia recommendations of breathing exercises, etc.

Original Strength drills with its focus on breathing through developmental patterns might be really beneficial.

Also, if she it's medically ok for her lungs to exert herself, your swing idea seems like the right idea. It would probably be best to not even set time goals (like "on the minute"), and instead use a heart rate monitor to enforce a recovery period or use the talk test (as you mentioned, nose breathing and long recoveries). I'd love to hear what Steve F. and Al would think. Again, I don't know how heavy exertion and the breathing that go with it interact with pleurisy, but the improvement in natural breathing mechanics from Original Strength is a good foundation anyways, without actually taxing the respiratory system. Pain changes motor patterns, so its likely her natural breathing patterns have changed from pleurisy. Resetting full, diaphragmatic breathing as pain decreases seems like it should be the first priority. As she can comfortably take bigger breaths, do the OS drills while breathing to fill that space.

I think this question is best asked of her doctor. The condition you mention is described as an inflammatory condition; if that's the case, I'd be very cautious about any exertion until all symptoms are gone and the doctor gives the OK. IOW, if she still needs medicines to keep the inflammation down, I'm not sure even light swings are a good idea.

In your place, I'd get the OK for walking, and I'd have the two of you go for walks. Walking is great.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom