all posts post new thread

Barbell How to train deceleration?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
To train fast twitch fibres for the run, you run.
But how do you train deceleration and is it even worth it?
If you're going to run fast, you need to learn how to slow down. Check out this article from Parisi talking about a couple key cues to focus on when slowing down, and this one that has mechanics and some exercises. This article talks about reducing injury risk by learning how to decelerate properly. They have a lot of info on the site if you want to dive in a bit.

But how do you train deceleration
The best thing I've found for this, at least as it applies to basketball is Jump Stretch band shuffle drills.

Use standard Jump Stretch style resistance bands. The "light" bands work well, but you can progress to heavier. However, IMO "mini" bands are too light, even to start. Depending on the space you have, link at least two (at minimum) or three or four (if you have lots of space) bands together and anchor one end to a fixed point such as a fence post, basket support, bleacher railing or whatever is available. Step into the last band and loop it around your hips. Then just shuffle away from the anchor point to stretch the band as far as you can go, and then shuffle back toward the anchor point. You can do this forwards, backwards, laterally, and at various angles.

You have to be quick and strong with your shuffle to avoid being pulled off balance. But the real magic with the shuffle drills is on the "negative" where the band tension is pulling you toward the anchor point. It really helps with quick deceleration. When you first start doing these, practice moving slower and/or not shuffling as far away from the anchor to reduce the maximum force and get used to the effect of the band tension. Then you can speed it up as much as you can.

is it even worth it?
That depends on your needs. For basketball, I think it's an important quality worth training. For other sports you can do your own assessment, but I think it applies to any situation where you have to cut and change direction quickly, run full speed and then stop quickly, or have to move your feet quickly in a small area, so tennis and American football come immediately to mind. I don't know too much about that other sport that involves running around and kicking a ball, but I understand there's some kind of big tournament going on right now (However I have met Pele and my dog is named after him).

To train fast twitch fibres for the run, you run.
But how do you train deceleration and is it even worth it?
Eccentric Movement

The Lengthening of the Muscle in a Movement, such as a Squat, Bench, Press, Running, Jumping, etc.

Car Analolgy

Think of the Eccentric Component as your Car Brakes. Would you drive a car with no Brakes?

The greater your Eccentric Strength, the faster you can change direction.

Greater Eccetric also ensure that you can minimize the amount of Force that you have to deal with in a Maximum Squat, Bench Press, etc.

Post 5

This post provides you with a great example on why Eccentric Strength is needed to minimize the Reverse Force with a Bench Press, Squat, etc.

Sprinting

This is true with Sprinting.

Research show that each footfall in Running produces an Impact Force of 3-5 times your body weight.

Example of 200 lb Person Sprinting

A 200 lb person Sprinting will enounter 600 -1,000 ln of Impact Force with each football.

The stronger your Brakes, the faster you can absorb that force and redirect it to going forward.

Eccentric Strength: Time to Be Negative About Acceleration: A Spotlight on Female Football Players

Although increases in velocity (“acceleration”) are important, decreases in velocity (“deceleration”) should also be considered equally important to performance and load monitoring.

t was found that emphasizing the deceleration phase and limiting deceleration to a set distance during speed and agility training improved COD (Change of Direction) performance to a greater degree than speed and agility training alone.

What is the most direct means to achieve strength gains specific to the demands of jumping events?

This is a brillant piece of work by David Kerin in regard to High Jumpers.

Research determined that the best High Jumper had superior Eccentric Strength.

In running up to the bar, they were able transtion from horizontally running, Eccentric put on the Brakes (stop quickly) when they reached the bar and convert that momentum and energy to going Vertical Up and over the bar.

Reading The Complete Article

To read a complete article, you need to read the references, which provides more detailed information.

Kerin's References

One of the best references is...

Schweigert, Doug, Functional Strength Considerations for the Advanced High Jumper National Strength & Conditioning Association, Vol 22, No. 5 pages 25-30 (2000)

Schweigert's References included research from the "Soviet Sport Review" on training Jumpers.

One of the method the Russians used to increase Deceleration Eccentric Strength was...

Depth Landings

Depth Landing are performed like Depth Jumps, only without rebounding back up.

The Depth Landing is esscentially what Gymnast do with their dismounts; they Stick The Landing.

Depth Landing are essentially a "Ballistic Eccentric". Ballistic meaning that a body or object goes airborne: dropping off the box.

Depth Landing for Jumpers is Specific to their sport; it simulate the sudden stop prior to their take off.

It dramatically increase their "Ballistic Eccetric Strength".

This is one method that I incorporte into my training.

This information has been covered in several post on this forum.

This is one...

Post 1

Triphasic Movement

Mlost movments in sports are composed of three movements...

1) Eccentric Strength

This means stopping the downward movement.

2) Isometric Strenght

This is the transition point in the movement between the Eccentric Movement (going down) and the Concentric Contraction (going up).

The stronger your Isometric Strength is, the faster you will transition from and Eccetric to a Concentric.

3) Concentric Strength

This is going up or foward with Running and Jumps.

A weakness in one of these Strength limits your success.

Triphasic Training
Carl Dietz

This is an excellent book that delves into how to maximize your potential with all three of the Triphasic Strengths.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom