all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How to train strength-endurance with least amount of hypertrophy?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Training training

First Post
How would one train if one wants strength-endurance/conditioning with as little hypertrophy as possible- I'm thinking about more general programming guidelines?

(I have most of Pavel's books including Simple and sinister)

If you don't eat for hyperthrophy, it won't happen.
This is true but, to complete the picture, if you train for hypertrophy and don't eat for it, and/or don't take sufficient rest and recovery for it, you may also feel hungry, tired and miserable. Not everyone does, but I sure did.

The formula for hypertrophy is "get a pump with a heavy weight" and the wisdom should be attributed to @Pavel for phrasing it so succinctly. A lot of sets of 5 on short rests with a 10RM max weight, done a few times a week.

To focus on strength with minimal hypertrophy, keep the max reps to 3-5, make the rest periods long, don't do a lot of volume alternated with rest days but instead spread your volume out so that it's never a lot on one day but neither do you take many rest days. And use something slightly heavier than you would for a size-and-strength combination.

Toying with only one of the parameters will tend to start to skew your results towards the other, e.g., doing a lot of volume will result in more hypertrophy unless you're very careful to really spread it out (as we do in our Grease The Groove protocol). Rest for 2 minutes instead of 5, the same.

We must add, last but perhaps I should have said this first, that strength-endurance work, by definition, is usually not short sets, and therefore wouldn't be a first choice for a hypertrophy-less result.

Hope that helps.

-S-

Reactions: Maq
Training training...
If you don't mind me asking...why are you trying to avoid/minimize hypertrophy?

Thank you for your replies guys,

@Steve Freides - If I use the Simple and Sinister programming but increase volume/decrese rest periods very slowly- will this decrease the hypertrophy "per time unit" considerably (or just a little)?

..doing a lot of volume will result in more hypertrophy unless you're very careful to really spread it out (as we do in our Grease The Groove protocol).

Ok how would this specifically look- maybe somehing like this: 3-5reps with 10rm (or heavier?) with at least 2 hours rest and how many total sets could one likely do per day?
And I assume for whole body training it is best to do both the swing and the TGU- how would one best combine these while spreading the voume out- both exercises each day or TGU one day? and also I would assume one would have to treat the TGU as two seperate exercises (both sides) in order to keep the volume down?

If one did only sets of 3- obviously one would not achieve any world class conditioning but would one achieve good enough "conditioning" to go about most daily activities without getting tired- especially if one supplements with interval runs once or twice a week?

TT

@Steve Freides - If I use the Simple and Sinister programming but increase volume/decrease rest periods very slowly- will this decrease the hypertrophy "per time unit" considerably (or just a little)?
If you do this, you won't be doing Simple & Sinister.

If you increase volume and decrease rest periods, it should create a better, not a worse, environment for getting bigger.

There ain't no such thing as free lunch here, and there's a study I remember Pavel citing in the original Russian Kettlebell Challenge book that found equal numbers of trainees getting bigger and getting smaller when training kettlebell ballistic lift, the lifts usually used for strength-endurance work.

A better answer might be had for you if, rather than asking a theoretical question, you asked a practical one - tell us about yourself, about where you've been in the world of exercise so far, and where you want to go from here, please.

If you asked me about strength training with minimal hypertrophy, I'd tell you to follow PTTP. But you didn't ask that.

-S-

A better answer might be had for you if, rather than asking a theoretical question, you asked a practical one - tell us about yourself, about where you've been in the world of exercise so far, and where you want to go from here, please.

-S-

+1.

Stength endurance in what sense? "Strength endurance" as a term doesn't mean much without a specific context. Do you want to be able to do more pushups? More pullups? More kettlebell swings? Or what?

As @Steve Freides asked, what are your training history and current strength levels, especially in the area where you want to increase stength endurance?

Why do you want to avoid hypertrophy? What is your current general state of body composition/muscularity? For instance, if you don't have much muscle mass, S&S will probably put on a little. If you are already very muscular, it likely won't.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom