all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How to Treat IT Band (Hip) Strain During TGU?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jaku

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,

As the title says, I think I've lightly strained my IT band in the right hip region. It happened during a TGU I did after a pretty decent sprinting workout. Might've went wrong by doing too much in one block of time.

The exact phase of the TGU when I first felt the strain was when I get my leg under me to finally stand up. It was as if I didn't have a lot of flexibility and over-stretched a muscle that wasn't properly warmed up. So the feeling was sharp.

Thankfully it doesn't hurt when I'm relaxing but some movements can instigate a light but sharp pin-pointed feeling. If I try a cossack squat, I will feel it if I go low enough.

Has anyone else had this type of injury and can share some recovery wisdom? This injury has caused me to take a harder look at stretching and mobility and I'm not reading SJ and RIS.

@jaku , Get a quality/qualified health care pro. to take a look at your hip. While you wait for your apt. look into all things hip by Kelly Starrett and Trevor Bachmeyer ( two separate sites ) on the web.

@Don Fairbanks , thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking into Kelly Starrett's site currently. One more question, should I be engaging in any type of static/active stretching and mobility work like Flexible Steel complex while I wait for this to heal?

@jaku , I like the Flexible Steel complex pre work out, and static/active stretching post As long as you don't engage in any movements or stretches that cause pain you should be fine.

@Don Fairbanks , thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking into Kelly Starrett's site currently. One more question, should I be engaging in any type of static/active stretching and mobility work like Flexible Steel complex while I wait for this to heal?
Like Don said... get a doctor or other healthcare provider to advise you on what you should and shouldn’t be doing. That being said... anything that doesn’t impact the IT band should be okay.

@jaku , I like the Flexible Steel complex pre work out, and static/active stretching post As long as you don't engage in any movements or stretches that cause pain you should be fine.

I steel rolled my quads and IT band today with the new mini barbell.

The rotating sleeves are great for that.

But OMGTHEPAIN.

I steel rolled my quads and IT band today with the new mini barbell.

The rotating sleeves are great for that.

But OMGTHEPAIN.

First, as a disclaimer, people definitely still get relief from rolling, so I still prescribe it to patients.

several years ago, i attended a continuing education course that actually suggested that’s the last thing you should do, and instead roll the vastus lateralis and your outer hamstrings.

Their research concludes that IT bans pain starts because your IT band gets adhered to these muscles, and by rolling, all you are doing is compressing and adhering it more.

I've noticed a benefit with smashing the glute medius and TFL for IT issues. And also strengthening the same areas.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom