all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How to write run training programs - video lecture

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mprevost

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi folks. Here is a lecture I did on how to write run training programs. The basic framework is the 3 tools / 3 phases approach that I used extensively at the U. S. Naval Academy when training Midshipmen for the Navy PRT and the USMC PFT, as well as training people for various run events from 5K to ultra marathons. It is a pretty simple template. Hope you find it to be useful.

How to design run training programs – video lecture – Mike Prevost, PhD

Nice concise explanation of why to stay out of Zone 3 HR for training, the "Somewhat hard" area where so many people accumulate what is sometimes referred to as "junk miles" in running and cycling:

"It's not really hard enough to get most of the adaptations we want... and it's not easy enough to allow us to accumulate a lot of volume."

Therefore, as you explained, almost all training can occur in Zone 2, 4, and 5.

Nice concise explanation of why to stay out of Zone 3 HR for training, the "Somewhat hard" area where so many people accumulate what is sometimes referred to as "junk miles" in running and cycling:

"It's not really hard enough to get most of the adaptations we want... and it's not easy enough to allow us to accumulate a lot of volume."

Therefore, as you explained, almost all training can occur in Zone 2, 4, and 5.

Yes, the biggest problem is that most people make the hard stuff too easy and the easy stuff too hard. This results in almost all of their training occurring in zone 3. A simple rule is to keep the easy stuff easy, so the hard stuff can be hard.

Really loving your stuff here, good sir. You have a way of keeping the proper science yet making it accessible. Please continue to post these sorts of things!

Mike,

Just watched the video after reading the guide recently, and really enjoyed how they complemented each other. Thanks for posting this; I've shared with many friends.

Jon

@mprevost ......this probably is a stupid question but anyway, is there a difference between recovery and output?
What I mean is recovering in zone 3, whilst doing no work and bringing the HR down, different than doing work in zone 3?
Say performing at 90% and then recovering with an incremental reduction in HR, doing hard intervals. Compared to a similar time spent just in zone 3 and maintaining a pace, or work output. The time frame maybe similar and average HR may be similar but work is being done in one and recovery in the other. Any difference in stress response, health outcomes and performance?

@mprevost ......this probably is a stupid question but anyway, is there a difference between recovery and output?
What I mean is recovering in zone 3, whilst doing no work and bringing the HR down, different than doing work in zone 3?
Say performing at 90% and then recovering with an incremental reduction in HR, doing hard intervals. Compared to a similar time spent just in zone 3 and maintaining a pace, or work output. The time frame maybe similar and average HR may be similar but work is being done in one and recovery in the other. Any difference in stress response, health outcomes and performance?

You would never use zone 3 as a recovery pace during intervals. That is a classic mistake many people make. The idea is to make the recovery easy so the hard part can be hard. Zone 1 or 2 is more appropriate for recovery interval between hard effort intervals. I favor zone 1. Of course, it is going to take a while for your heart rate to settle back down, so your heart rate will be in zone 3, while your effort may be in zone 1. Heart rate tends to lag, both during the high effort interval and during the recovery interval. There is no problem with your heart rate not being exactly right due to lag. Nothing you can do about the lag. Hope that makes sense.

@mprevost.....thanks for the reply. It does make sense, although I'm not sure I understand my own question but you've managed to answer it nonetheless! So effort is the thing, not the hr.....active recovery in other words.
I ask because it made me think about higher intensity and longer rests, to replenish PCr system, that hr tends to be elevated longer on the way back down compared to a S&S session for instance. And whilst no work is being done, no effort or work output anyway, the time spent loitering in zone 3 is longer, again compared to a less intense interval and figured that may accumulate. It is different from steady state of course and hanging in there for too long too often perhaps. Anyway I can't do hard sessions that often because I'm knackered! Thank you.

Agreed.
This has been a benchmark (informal) of me and some of my training partners for years (read decades)

How, or would it be appropriate to structure lower/upper body strength training (maintenance) while doing during this routine?

My question is for someone who is not competing in a race..

How, or would it be appropriate to structure lower/upper body strength training (maintenance) while doing during this routine?

I did exactly that myself. It depends on if you are prioritizing strength or endurance. The strength training will not interfere with your endurance adaptations but the endurance work CAN interfere with strength gains (once you mileage gets too high). For an endurance focus, train upper body normally and lower body (especially heavy stuff) only once per week. For a strength focus, just establish an effective strength program and keep the run volume to less than 40 miles per week and do your strength work either on a stand alone day or before running.

I did exactly that myself. It depends on if you are prioritizing strength or endurance. The strength training will not interfere with your endurance adaptations but the endurance work CAN interfere with strength gains (once you mileage gets too high). For an endurance focus, train upper body normally and lower body (especially heavy stuff) only once per week. For a strength focus, just establish an effective strength program and keep the run volume to less than 40 miles per week and do your strength work either on a stand alone day or before running.

You see that 40 miles a week is the approximate limit, which under strength training does not get compromised? How would that 40 miles a week be converted into time?

Also, do you think the same stands for a competitive strength athlete? Do you think there's a lot of difference between different seasons of training, as in preparatory volume cycle, peaking cycle, competition week?

You see that 40 miles a week is the approximate limit, which under strength training does not get compromised? How would that 40 miles a week be converted into time?

Also, do you think the same stands for a competitive strength athlete? Do you think there's a lot of difference between different seasons of training, as in preparatory volume cycle, peaking cycle, competition week?

40 miles per week is a ballpark figure for someone who slowly builds up to that level through years of training. For novice runners, the ceiling would be much less. The other questions can get very specific to your situation and it would be hard to answer sufficiently without a lengthy discussion of your goals, background etc. I would tend to back off on running volume and intensity when trying to peak in strength though.

40 miles per week is a ballpark figure for someone who slowly builds up to that level through years of training. For novice runners, the ceiling would be much less. The other questions can get very specific to your situation and it would be hard to answer sufficiently without a lengthy discussion of your goals, background etc. I would tend to back off on running volume and intensity when trying to peak in strength though.

Thanks for the advice, I figured it would be very much individual, the more the the higher the level the athlete competes at.

I can't tell from your question if your focus is on strength or endurance. How you structure things depends on your goals, what you are trying to achieve.

I can't tell from your question if your focus is on strength or endurance. How you structure things depends on your goals, what you are trying to achieve.

My focus is on strength. I just started with the barbells again..I’ve been doing S and S for the last 18 months (worked up to the 48kg) as written, but gained some unwanted fat in the process. I know that it’s mostly a diet thing but I tend to lose weight when I run for long(er) distances or periods of time.

So to answer the question, strength with fat loss is my goal, hoping to achieve it with running and without sacrificing too much strength in the process

My focus is on strength. I just started with the barbells again..I’ve been doing S and S for the last 18 months (worked up to the 48kg) as written, but gained some unwanted fat in the process. I know that it’s mostly a diet thing but I tend to lose weight when I run for long(er) distances or periods of time.

So to answer the question, strength with fat loss is my goal, hoping to achieve it with running and without sacrificing too much strength in the process

That makes it pretty simple then. Stay in "base" and keep all of your runs in low zone 2. Just keep an easy pace. Keep the runs to less than 90 minutes (after that, cortisol starts to rise). Increase run volume slowly (10% per week max). At this easy pace, you will not negatively impact your strength training, especially if you increase the volume slowly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom