all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How to write run training programs - video lecture

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That makes it pretty simple then. Stay in "base" and keep all of your runs in low zone 2. Just keep an easy pace. Keep the runs to less than 90 minutes (after that, cortisol starts to rise). Increase run volume slowly (10% per week max). At this easy pace, you will not negatively impact your strength training, especially if you increase the volume slowly.

Thanks for the advice.. I’ll give it a go next week, staring with two mile runs and building from there.

Is there a ever a good time to use zone 3? Does zone 3 have a place as form-running intervals during a recovery week perhaps or is it truly a time wasting zone that would be better spent with zone 1 recovery or reduced volume 4/5?

Is there a ever a good time to use zone 3? Does zone 3 have a place as form-running intervals during a recovery week perhaps or is it truly a time wasting zone that would be better spent with zone 1 recovery or reduced volume 4/5?

In the context of the system I described, there is no reason to use zone 3. It would just be an added complexity and add nothing. In another system, there could be a use for zone 3. In fact, zone 3 is 1/2 marathon race pace. But I would still prefer to use zone 2, 4 and 5, even for 1/2 marathoners.

The real issue with zone 3 is that novice runners tend to do too much of it. They run too hard when they are supposed to be doing zone 2, so they end up in zone 3. They go too easy when they are supposed to be doing zone 4, so they end up in zone 3. It is really common. I prefer a much sharper separation and can achieve this by eliminating zone 3. Keep the easy stuff easy so the hard stuff can be hard.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom