all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How would you train for long squat sets?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think I said it in one of the videos I posted above but I'm guessing few will watch them - there are absolutely diminishing returns with regards to limit strength (1rm) transfer to muscular endurance with lighter weights for high reps.
The intensity (% of your 1rm), the number of reps you're trying to do, and the duration of time allotted for the effort are all things to consider.
The lower the intensity, the higher the reps, and the longer the time allotted = the less your 1rm probably matters. Of course it still matters, but it matters less.
To use an extreme example, if it were a "How many times can you bench the empty bar"-contest, unless you are very weak to begin with , I don't think you'd waste your time trying to improve your max...

I think I said it in one of the videos I posted above but I'm guessing few will watch them - there are absolutely diminishing returns with regards to limit strength (1rm) transfer to muscular endurance with lighter weights for high reps.
The intensity (% of your 1rm), the number of reps you're trying to do, and the duration of time allotted for the effort are all things to consider.
The lower the intensity, the higher the reps, and the longer the time allotted = the less your 1rm probably matters. Of course it still matters, but it matters less.
To use an extreme example, if it were a "How many times can you bench the empty bar"-contest, unless you are very weak to begin with , I don't think you'd waste your time trying to improve your max...
Well, if we’re talking of an empty bar vs bw on the barbell…

I admit I haven't taken the time to watch your videos yet - I've only started watching the first one and will continue later today in my lunchbreak or coffee break - but one thing has caught my eye, so I thought I'd clarify it right away: with all the strength endurance standards I've seen in grappling sports, the "rest pause" method (in the sense of breathing squats in this example) is not used. There is a reason for this - the scenario you are training for is doing an unbroken string of takedowns with a lift (aka "pick-ups") at a high pace. In training, you'd be expected to get 40 takedowns in two or three minutes at most, in fact I've known people who could do close to 40 reps of suplexes in a minute. Therefore, reps are done at a high pace, which will further increase the (an-) aerobic demands. If you look at the East German strength endurance standards I've linked to in the original thread, strength endurance is tested in a 45 second window, and you're expected to get between 66 (flyweight) and 44 (superheavyweight) squats in this time frame, two to four reps less for each heavier weight class (75% of your weight class limit on the bar, or 80 kg in the case of superheavyweight). I should clarify that the East German team only used half squats to 90° (using a bench or rope for depth control), which of course will allow for a higher pace. While there isn't an explicit time limit given in this test, I am pretty sure you'd still be expected to complete the set in about three minutes tops.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom