all posts post new thread

Nutrition How you started exercising

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My parents, however, didn't do anything about it other than hospitals and doctors.

-S-
And this WE have in common.

@AntonyTalor ; I used to be fat too, astmatic, ton of allergies, and short. Can't get taller but got rid of being fat, astmatic and allergies, here's how;

I started exercises 12 years ago when I were 15. I would've started much earlier but the local gym didn't allow me because I was too youngue. For my 15th birthday I got a dumbbell and I have used it for over 10 years. Later on I bought a 2nd dumbbell, and at age 16,5 I got a gym membership. At age 23 I quit the gym and worked out at home only for 2 years with dumbbels and a barbell, until I started mixing up Calisthenics into my routine and forfeited dumbbells at some point. This summer I started my journey with kettlebells and I love them. Working on reaching Simple from Simple and Sinister.

Best thing to start with besides cleaning up your eating habits is ditching your PT. They will smoke you and that is not ideal for you or anyone at all. You want to ease in, into using muscles you have neglected before. Stimulate your strength. Build strength, and you will start losing excess bodyfat bit by bit (long process here) All that you do will become easier then in due time, picking up objects, walking up and down stairs. All becomes easier when you stimulate and build STRENGTH.

How I got the energy to workout after school or after work? Well to be honest I never truely had that energy until this year. I just pushed my body to the brink of breakdown multiple times a week on sheer willpower, and my gains were laughable. I had s*** trainers at the gym, lightweights to work with, but we had plenty of treadmills to run at like fat hamsters. That didn't cut it.

Look for something simple. Like 2 exercises you would do daily, everyday. That sounds like alot, but when it becomes custumary, you will not lack motivation. As for energy, do them after waking up, wake up earlier to do them exercises. Yes thats right.

I write this, just before going to bed, but here's how my day will be tomorrow;
- wake up at 4 am
- buteyko breathing session at 4;15 am
- Simple and Sinister practice, probably up to 5/5;15am
- work at 6;00 till 16;00
- maybe go for a walk in the evening after dinner, plenty of energy left

1. I don't do s*** before doing a breathing session, this drives my energy levels through the roof. I used to be crushed after 10hour shifts of boring manual labor. That's history
2. Simple and Sinister is 2 exercises, done almost DAILY. When done properly this prepares you for anything in life, burns lots of calories, and makes you resilient. Plus the discipline you aquire is what most people lack anyway. Its a nice practice for self-development
3. I wake up much earlier to do my 'recharge' routine. I'd recommend this to anyone. Do your routine BEFORE school or work. You will be fresh, FRESH I say.

I don't like to work with PT's. Even if they are sfg certified they cant tell me much except technical stuffs in the kettlebell moves. I mean, none knows your body better than you do, and if your routine with your PT wrecks you, than it clearly isn't working well for you, it will burn you up at some point, scare you into quitting exercise.

Make your own journey, don't let anyone lead it for you, not a PT, nobody, assistance is good, but take the reigns yourself.

I grew up in some rough areas in and around Washington, DC. By the age of 13 I'd already been jumped and beaten unrecognizable by some thugs in the neighborhood. When I started high school I was a 120 lb weakling, and realized I had to get strong, quick. So I took up weight training in 9th grade. Never got big, but I got strong for my wiry frame, and no one was allowed to mess with me except the convicts (I mean "students") in my weight training class.

Started gymnastics at the age of 6, first recreational, then competition training 12 hours/week from age 16 to 23. At age 12, started a daily yoga practice, tai chi at age 15. Competition ballroom dancer from age 24 to 31. Dabbled in bodybuilding type weight training. Three years jiu-jitsu in my early 20's. Did a few years of Charles Atlas bodywork. Discovered and fell in love with kettlebells a year and a half ago (I turned 53 last Saturday).

Need your help! I’ve been exercising for 2 weeks already. I have a personal instructor, however it’s too
hard for me to manage all those exercises, especially in the end of my training. I’m out of my energy.
When I come home, everything I can do is lying on the couch. I would be grateful to hear how you
started exercising, whether you faced such situation and how you dealt with it. Thx!
I think I've been in a similar place before. For a couple of reasons I completely let myself go for a few years. I was so far out of shape that a 7 minute jog around the block would leave me wiped out for the rest of the evening. Looking back, instead of trying to start running, I should have just did more walking.

Anyway, I think the smartest thing I did at the time was figuring out what my current limits were and found what I could do comfortably. Then just tried to stay consistent. For a long time it felt like I would never be able to climb out of the hole I let myself fall into but I kept the faith and knew that what I was doing would be beneficial and eventually started improving. I'm still not the physical dynamo I once was but have improved so much since that time and am still improving.

I've been very active as a kid and teenager. Track and field, gymnastics, swimming, skiing, soccer, basketball, tennis just to name a few. Even almost making it into the national soccer team for the age 15 and below as a goalkeeper.
Although I newer really worked with weights. Some pushups, bodyweight squats etc. at e.g. soccer practice was all I've done.
Completely stopped everything at the age of 16-17 for social reasons - I played soccer, basketball and tennis at the same time so everyday after school was full with training and matches on the weekends. No time for friends, girls or parties...
I got out of shape and gained weight over the next few years. Graduating and the going to university with all the parties and drinking takes a toll :D
Nothing drastical, but if you've been as active as I was, gaining 10-15Kg and realising that you can't run as fast and far as you could before is a huge thing.
So I wanted to change that and started working out at the age of 22-23. First 3x jogging + 3x easy calisthenics. When you start workin out you look up stuff on the internet. Through that I found crossfit, which I did for the next 1,5 years.
Realising crossfits flaws I switched to training on my own, but through crossfit I learned about a lot of things like power- and oly lifting, kettlebells, movement over isolation and a whole lot of other stuff. With that knowledge I had a good grasp of what to do.
I ventured into barbell strength training and from there into kettlebells. That way I ended up here :)

@AntonyTalor
Starting over again after not doing anything for a couple of years wasn't really hard, but I'm that kind of guy who has no motivation problems. Program hopping is my issue or better it was my issue :) KBs and this forum really helped me with that.
I think you just need to find something that's fun for you and motivation and consistency won't be a problem.
S&S is really boring, but not to me. I just love swinging KBs.
On the other hand barbells made me stronger, too, but they are just not as fun as KBs are. Because of that (and some other reasons) I can't follow a BB routine for very long.
You come home and everything you can do is lie on the couch? Doesn't seem like fun and I guess you see it that way aswell.
Start different things, see what you really like and then stick with that.

I started exercising on my own.
Me, too.

I began jogging when I finally started understanding how to practice the piano. It was such an interesting combination of focused attention and physical relaxation that I felt the need to get up and do something afterwards, so I started running. I promptly ended up with the classic "runner's knee." I was in my mid or late 20's at the time.

-S-

If the OP is still around.

I'd ditch that PT, some people need to feel fried after a workout but it is far from optimal. Maybe he thinks he's giving people what they want as many people do indeed expect to be worked hard to get their moneys worth. The early stages of any exercise program should be designed to condition you for the heavy work later on. There's absolutely no reason to beat yourself up. By the sounds of it you are experiencing a fair degree of metabolic stress which is an impediment to strength and fitness gains.

I've just started light training again after a long layoff, which is not quite the same as someone new to training but the basic tenets are still the same. Ease into it gradually and don't beat yourself up. If you are sore the next day, chances are you've done too much. If you are exhausted you have done too much.

Here's a talk from Menno Henselmans where he explains why all that pain and suffering is just not necessary and how it affects your progress. It applies to people of all levels of experience.

@AntonyTalor and @Jennifer Osorio , welcome to the Strongfirst Forum!

Antony, I had almost the same experience you did with a "personal trainer" . He did dot ask my goals or assess my current level of fitness, just ran me ragged on treadmill and a few machines in the gym. 1 and out, I was done with that! Started doing my own research and playing around at the gym. Train at home now.

Tons of quality advice here at the Strongfirst Forum. Stay in touch and let us know how you progress....

Carl in Dover

I used to be into athletics and lifting when I was younger, but then I grew up and got lazy.

After many years, I recognized I was not going down the right path. I was unhealthy and getting fat. My workplace had a nice free gym and I started lifting (mostly barbells) for a couple years. Things were really going well for me, then one day I seriously injured my back.

It was bad. Real bad. I was stuck in bed for a few days. My walking was affected (I had a limp), I could not put my shoes on, I had trouble using the restroom, etc... I remember my wife having to drive me to work because I was not able to sit in the car under flexion. I had to recline the passenger seat back so I sort of layed down in the car (probably illegal).

I made the decision to never lift weights again. A long time went by and I was feeling better and able to do bodyweight exercises again. I found Pavels old website, prior to Strongfirst, and started consuming his posts and books. My wife bought me 2 20 kg kettlebells and ETK and I was hooked.

I had to start slow, but for several years I completed most of the popular/main kettlebell programs and I rebuilt myself. I did have setbacks and relapses. But I learned. Over time I accumulated almost every size kettlebell up to 48 kg and built my strength. Recently (last few years), I've acquired a barbell and weights and I've started exploring power lifting. I recently competed for the first time and happy to set PR's with 27 white lights (and accidentally set 4 state records).

I'm currently experimenting to try and find the most minimalistic routine in order to accomplish several personal goals, simultaneously, in order to free up time for other passions in my life. These goals include: Improved aerobic base and blood testing health stats, reduction in weight and body fat, increased General strength being measured by being able to press double 48kg bells for a "not too hard" few reps, and maintaining my power lifting "groove" so I can easily transition back into a power lifting specific program when I am ready, and ultimately staying injury free and healthy.

That's my life story.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom