all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed HRV monitor

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael20

Level 4 Valued Member
I've been learning about HRV recently both from a health and fitness/endurance perspective. I listened again to Peter Lakatos podcast where he talks about this and also on a different podcast the hosts were talking about HRV as it relates to mind body connection (both fitness and mental/emotional resilience). I'm wondering if anyone tracks this and, if so, any recommendations for monitors.

Interestingly, the other podcast I refer to is called Reframe Pain. I work as a physical therapist and they were discussing HRV as a biomarker in the chronic/persistent pain population - as it relates to breathing and diaphragm functioning.

Yes, I think it's pretty interesting although I'm not tracking it currently.

If you do a search for "HRV" using the search feature in the top right corner of the page, you'll find some past threads on it with plenty of discussion.

I use Sweetbeat. Company founder Ronda Collier has some very good podcast interviews where she explains how to use it. I find it useful, but it takes some time and experience tracking it and seeing what the numbers mean personally. In the end, HRV is *just* a number. It takes experience to put it into context.

There is an interesting article plus response over at Uphill Athlete explaining why they don’t recommend tracking HRV, instead preferring the orthostatic HR test.

Yes, I think it's pretty interesting although I'm not tracking it currently.

If you do a search for "HRV" using the search feature in the top right corner of the page, you'll find some past threads on it with plenty of discussion.
Thank you

I wish they would include MTB training specifically. I think that marathon MTB, bikepacking, gravel grinding, stage racing, the stuff that’s popular are a good fit. Most resources on bike training are geared towards shorter XC and crits.

In any case, go to the link offwidth provided and find the training theory section. They advise against HRV apps telling you how to train. I mostly agree, but I still think tracking it isn’t useful, even if it’s not definitive.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom