all posts post new thread

Barbell Hypertrophy question for Pavel

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jdb

First Post
Pavel,

I've mostly trained PTP and 5x5 for the past couple years. I've seen great strength gains, while losing 60lbs of fat and gaining a little muscle.

But now that I'm lean (6'1, 165), I'm too small for my liking and would like to put on some muscle... as efficiently as possible and without sacrificing strength, of course.

I'm considering trying your old Russian Bear routine from PTP, but curious how it stacks up against some other mass-building programs you've written about more recently, especially for someone like myself who's been on low reps (1-5 most of the time, never more than 8) for a long time.

What would you recommend in my situation. Happy to provide more info as necessary.

Thanks!

Justin, part of the answer is the right diet and just plain enough of it.

The bear will do you well if you've got the strength to start with decent numbers.  I jumped up two shirt sizes in a few months in another program doing 10 sets of double kettlebell clean and press and most of the time I was lifting less than 5 reps per set.  I've tried two mass building programs in the past before realizing I wasn't strong enough to make them worth the time.  The Delorme will drive you crazy changing plates so often while the Bear will put you in a training trance.  No matter, you're building a better person out of yourself.  If you've got decent numbers you'll do great on either one.  Hell, you could do both to see what you like more, you'll only get closer to your goal.  You'll wave the loads on both and the principle is the same. Don't worry about the particulars of "size AND strength vs just size" vs "lean mass vs a bit of fat."  It's TONS of volume (in the literal sense) with a load that will get lighter and lighter.  Good luck man, I was 6'2" and 154lbs back in 2009, now I'm 207.

Oh, and MEGA props for dropping sixty pounds!  I salute your consistency.  Keep it up and you'll go far with your potential.

Justin, allow me to second Pavel's recommendation of his book, "Beyond Bodybuilding" - it will give you many routines from which to choose.

-S-

Another +1 on BB.

"the Bear will put you in a training trance" true. 10-20 sets of five can be mind numbing. you can offset this a bit by 2-3-5 ladders. less boring and seems to require less strength of will to press on. bear rapidly builds strength too, not just size.

The bear will do you well if you've got the strength to start with decent numbers. I jumped up two shirt sizes in a few months in another program doing 10 sets of double kettlebell clean and press and most of the time I was lifting less than 5 reps per set. I've tried two mass building programs in the past before realizing I wasn't strong enough to make them worth the time. The Delorme will drive you crazy changing plates so often while the Bear will put you in a training trance. No matter, you're building a better person out of yourself. If you've got decent numbers you'll do great on either one. Hell, you could do both to see what you like more, you'll only get closer to your goal. You'll wave the loads on both and the principle is the same. Don't worry about the particulars of "size AND strength vs just size" vs "lean mass vs a bit of fat." It's TONS of volume (in the literal sense) with a load that will get lighter and lighter. Good luck man, I was 6'2" and 154lbs back in 2009, now I'm 207.

Oh, and MEGA props for dropping sixty pounds! I salute your consistency. Keep it up and you'll go far with your potential.

Great post!

What kettlebell C&P was that if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

That C&P kettlebell workout of 10 sets of 5 reps.. Is the weight increased linearly per workout??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom