all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Hypertrophy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yeah, I've read the controversy around him. Most of what I've learned about his methods I've got from Dan Fichter and his partner (I forget his name), who seem to be legit coaches. I really like the autoregulation of that method.
Yeah, had to go back and check that - Chris Korfist.

(Daniel) Brad Nuttall, someone who had interned w. Jay Schroeder, was apparently/allegedly DB Hammer in real life.

Like I said, there were a few gems, but yeah...

Hello,

+1 to the above. Below is something using GTG (from C. Waterbury):

Kind regards,

Pet'
I like most everything I have read from Waterbury, and I credit him for much of my own interest/obsession with high frequency training. I wish he was a little more active in creating content.

Hello,

Directly from @AleksSalkin SFG2 !
One thing I’ve (thankfully) been forced to come to realize as I’ve gotten older and much busier is that not only is something better than nothing, but quite often that “something” we end up doing in a pinch is the thing we needed to be doing the most anyway. A question that I see regularly circulating among my peers is:

“If you had only 15 minutes to work out twice a week, what would you do?”

Naturally, the best answer is “manage your time better,” but that doesn’t really do much to solve your problem when the unexpected happens and suddenly you’re stuck with making a choice between, say, working out and not.

Whatever answer you come up with likely boils down to two factors:

1. What will help you get as much quality work done in the least amount of time
  2. What can be done quickly and efficiently
What answer goes here is dependent upon your goals and needs, of course, but more than likely you’ll come to the conclusion to ditch the “innie and outie” exercises and stick with the big, compound classics.

Case in point: chin-ups and dips.

For the upper body, there simply is no better combination. Not only do they collectively recruit just about every muscle between your waist and your neck (if you do them right), but they are the perfect complement to one another.

For greater pullup strength you need strong pecs, because at the half-way point your pecs work together with your lats to help you finish the movement; you need strong lats for greater dip strength, because the lats help stabilize the shoulders for pressing muscles and give you extra “juice” to crank out more (or heavier) reps. Moreover, they add real-world strength to your chest, traps, shoulders, upper back, core, grip, forearms, biceps, and triceps like nobody’s business. Add in one or two movements for the lower body, like front squats and cleans and you’re in business.

What’s more, this particular combo is a favorite of strength athletes of all stripes. From powerlifters (who use dips to help their bench press strength and pullups to improve their back strength for deadlifts) to Olympic lifters (who use dips and chins to fill in the blanks for all the overhead barbell work they do) and even bodybuilders, who use it for the purpose of adding sheer size and aesthetic proportion to their upper bodies.

So powerful is this combo that even Arthur Jones — the creator of the Nautilus exercise machines — flat out admitted that pullups, dips, and one-leg squats would be about all that most athletes would ever need to achieve the strength and muscularity needed to excel at their sport. And this was from the founder of the company that sought to make all other strength training equipment “obsolete”. Quite a telling admission, if you ask me.

Best of all, chins and dips require really no proper equipment per se; just a sturdy place to hang and a few strong and stable chairs. If you’ve got those things, try this workout on for size.

Chinup and dip ladders​

A1) Chinup — (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.)
A2) Dip — (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.)

Do one chinup, then one dip, then relax briefly. Climb the ladder as high as you can with good form, rest for a minute or two, and start back over from 1.

Repeat 2–3 times, whip your shirt off triumphantly, and check out your wicked pump in the mirror while flexing like Arnie. You know you were going to anyway. With some diligence and regular practice, you’ll be able to put all those tasty Thanksgiving leftovers to good use and pack some quality beef onto your frame so that you can outgrow your shirts while still fitting into your pants. What’s not to love about that?

While you’re beefing up your upper body strength and musculature, you might also like to nail all those other kinda important muscles in your body — both those you can show off at the beach and those “hidden” ones responsible for your athleticism and resilience.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I like most everything I have read from Waterbury, and I credit him for much of my own interest/obsession with high frequency training. I wish he was a little more active in creating content.
Chad = one of the g.o.a.t. In the fitness world in my opinion. I agree 100% that I wish he was more active with content.
But I believe he stays pretty busy now as a professor if I’m not mistaken.

A Pavel/Waterbury book! Now that would be something!!

1. Enough calories and protein to build muscle.
2. Progressive programming. Whether KB STRONG or 5/3/1, smart programs always have a design to do more through time. Whether it's through mechanical tension or metabolic stress, it must become more than before.
3. Periodize so as your body adapts, you introduce a new stimulus in one way or another. 531 TM increase... S&S to ROP to Q&D... Increase MEV -> MRV....

Side notes:
-I love Fabios writings but he started jacked & ended jacked. The tension is there with high volume of heavy loads so I'm sure it works. Id be interested in seeing teatimony of mass gains like Mike Torres gaining 16# (170-186) from STRONG.

-Compound lifts near failure have greater stimulus but also greater fatigue. Balancing that ratio for continual progress is a nuanced skill. You can't have all turned to 10 all the time...

Not sure if relevant for all of you, but if I decided to gain some meat, I'd like to try this:

Unfortunately the best way to gain a lot of muscle is to be a teenager and to eat like a pig. I gained 15kg in 15 months... No drugs, not even regular supplements. Luckily those times are over for me :D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom