all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed HYROX

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PatRyan

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all, appreciate there are some articles on OCR / Spartan Races / Tough Mudder but was wondering what SF protocols and programming if any people have used for Hyrox which looks relatively new as a fitness comp.

Best,
Patrick

Hi all, appreciate there are some articles on OCR / Spartan Races / Tough Mudder but was wondering what SF protocols and programming if any people have used for Hyrox which looks relatively new as a fitness comp.

Best,
Patrick

Looks like the tested exercises are:

1000m Run

50 Burpee Broad Jumps

100 stationary Lunges

1000m Row / Run

30 HR Pushups

100 Wallballs 6/4 (14lbs / 10lbs)

Basically work capacity; sounds like you'd want to use CF-style training to prep.

Seems heavily glycolytic to me, as opposed to anti-glycolytic like some SF methods.

Last edited:
The full Hyrox is

1km Run

1km Ski (on Concept2 SkiErg)

1km Run

50m Sled Push (75kg – 175kg*)

1km Run

50m Sled Pull (50kg – 125kg*)

1km Run

80m Burpee Broad Jump

1km Run

1km Row (on Concept2 Rower)

1km Run

200m Kettle Bells Farmers Carry (16kg – 32kg*)

1km Run

100m Sandbag Lunges (10kg – 30kg*)

1km Run

100 / 75* reps Wall Balls (4kg – 9kg*)

* weights (and reps for wall balls) vary by category

I’ve signed up to Manchester 2023.

I wanted to keep my training SF style but since I’ve started I’ve realised I need to be more specific so I’d agree more CrossFit style seems appropriate. I am kind of shotgunning my early training, trying to fit stuff around my schedule. Reload deadlifts supersetted with TGU followed by some sled/carry/lunge circuits…. KBSF double bell long cycle followed by some body weight circuit and running… intervals on rower/skierg/treadmill… long slow running.

So I’d be interested in hearing peoples thoughts too. I was just thinking this morning about making a Hyrox thread.

The full Hyrox is

1km Run

1km Run

1km Run

1km Run

80m Burpee Broad Jump

1km Run

1km Run

1km Run

1km Run

I wanted to keep my training SF style but since I’ve started I’ve realised I need to be more specific so I’d agree more CrossFit style seems appropriate. I am kind of shotgunning my early training, trying to fit stuff around my schedule. Reload deadlifts supersetted with TGU followed by some sled/carry/lunge circuits…. KBSF double bell long cycle followed by some body weight circuit and running… intervals on rower/skierg/treadmill… long slow running.

So I’d be interested in hearing peoples thoughts too. I was just thinking this morning about making a Hyrox thread.

TBH, I wouldn't even bother with KB long cycle or TGUs. Seems like a waste of training time versus getting more specific:

Weighted lunges, carries and pushes for fixed distance, increasing the loading.

Lots of rowing and running middle distance work.

Last edited:
Interesting ideas all. In order to explore this properly I have signed up for the 3 UK HYROX events (Birmingham Oct 15 22 Individual), London Nov 19 22 pairs with a friend, Manchester Jan 28 Individual). I also need to recert my SFG on 7-9 October 22. Therefore I will use Birmingham to see what Hyrox feels like and get a time, London to do with a friend and as practice and I will make Manchester in Jan my A focus event and endeavour to significantly improve on my Birmingham time. Targets TBC And will update.

Having looked at the events and what is required it looks like mostly endurance and strength endurance with running being a key component with 8km in total. My strength is likely fine for the event but my recent 5km time was way off pace at 31 mins so plan to focus most of my training on running and SFG 1 prep for now and then will put more focus on some specific movements later after building a base/ doing Birmingham. I am thinking that the “what the hell“ effect of the kettlebells will carry me through Birmingham and also let me see where I need to get specific. I may do 1 day per week of practicing HYROX events as a varied day at weekend if recovery allows but I need to get my running up to pace first.

Generally in training I plan to stay anti-glycolytic mostly going glycolic for a week every 6 week block. For the running I will initially follow a MAF protocol (max HR 180 minus age) for the first 4-6 weeks (2-3 runs per) and review running foundations and times at that point. After that I may add some intervals for speed work after the foundation stage but will see at that point.

10 mins Mobility work as a daily minimum as well.

Will update on how we go!

Kind of a cool event, like Murph on steroids. Of course it uses the C2 equipment I don’t have tho lol.

Those wall balls and lunges at the end must be absolute torture.

The full Hyrox is

1km Run

1km Run

1km Run

1km Run

80m Burpee Broad Jump

1km Run

1km Run

1km Run

1km Run

I competed at a fairly high level (finishing in the top three of my age group) in OCR's from 2011 - 2017 including three Tough Mudder's, 7+ Savage Races, Superhero Scramble (no longer around), Spartan (sprints and super), Rugged Maniac, Warrior Dash, and a bunch of local events ranging from 3-12+ miles.

All of my training used a variety of metabolic resistance training circuits, and I performed ZERO running in my training. I got strong with Goblet Squats, Double Kettlebell Front Squats, Pull-ups, Presses, Get-ups, Farmer's Walks, crawling, etc.

I did a lot of similar stuff as this article recommended:

This HYROX event sounds way more up my alley (I hated longer races of 6-7+ miles even though I did well at them)!

I may have to look into this and get my butt back in shape for this and some OCR's. ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom