all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "I Achieved S & S Simple! Here's My Story"

I did start doing swings with the 32 already in october but had to back of because of some wrist pain. I basically was still practicing with the 16 and the 24 in december and did not start doing the get ups with the 32 until about three week ago. Now the swings with the 32 feels really comfortable and dont really elevate my heart rate significantly.
The get ups with the 32 still feels challenging but I am in control and this week achieved the simple goal. I think I might have waited a bit too long to begin with the 32 but then when I did I progressed fast.
Congratulations on achieving the Simple goal. You wrote about backing off because of wrist pain. I"m not a trainer but maybe that is a good idea. Just think if you had kept on going and the pain got worse or you got injured. It could have made you quit completely for a while. Better to back off and practice with a lighter kettlebell, at least, that is how I think about it.

Best of luck with the 40kg. I accomplished the Simple goal and have moved up to the 40kg. It is a big jump and I feel every kg of it.

Take care,
Robert

I have achieved Simple.

Been doing the program since 1st November 2016, and achieved the time today in 15.23.

Took me 90 sessions in my courage corner!

A wonderful program. I feel such pride in my achievement. If you are on your own journey, stick with it. You'll get there.

Now for the next goal...
Congratulations Aussie L, the time in the corner was worth it.

5'2 guy at 61 kg, Simple & Sinister was my intro to StrongFirst.

I started swinging with Dan John's 10'000 Swing Workout with a 45lb. kettlebell I got from Craigslist. I was later introduced to S&S by @Mark Limbaga and started with a 45lb. for Swings and 25lbs. for TGU. After some time using modifications with sandbags, duct tape, and such, I eventually bought a 16kg, 53kg, and 32kg. Just kept plugging along, 3-5 days per week, long rest periods, no hyping-up, no beast-moding, adding a set of 32kg every week or so. I hit the Simple Standard as scheduled in about 4 months, and I've been a student of strength ever since. (I previously wrote about the entire thing on a blog post.)
Congratulations Machete, I never heard of the 10,000 swing workout. I'll check it out. It's always interesting to learn about new routines.

My name is Jared, 31 years old, 6'4" and weigh about 230. I have been strength training with barbells since November of 2012 and discovered kettlbells in the early part of 2014 through Dan John's 10,000 KB Swing Challenge. I also bought my first 55 pound KB during this time to run the challenge at the gym with the barbell strength work and at home for a swings only day. For the most part after the swing challenge I ran 5/3/1 and used KB Swings, Snatches and Clean & Jerks for conditioning. I had bought Enter the Kettlebell to learn the various movements and used the roll of the dice method to give me a set time for the movements listed. In the summer of 2014 I realized Pavel had released a new book called Simple & Sinister. I bought it, read through it and roughly did the 1 Arm Swings and TGUs with my 55 but getting better at S&S wasn't really my goal at the time. At that particular point, the S&S Warm Up was what I got most out of the book. Also that Summer I had bought an 80 pound kettlebell since the 55 was getting too easy for most of the movements. I originally wanted a 70 pound bell just because that seemed like the next logical choice but for some strange reason the 80 was way cheaper than the 70. Must have been a glitch on Amazon because after a few days the 80 was well above 100 dollars. I paid 75 dollars for the 80. Again, never really tried S&S during that time with the 80. Once the Summer ended I was back in full force with 5/3/1 4 days a week but completely scratched the TGU and S&S from my repertoire and kept Swinging, Snatching and C&Js only if I wasn't doing sprints for conditioning. My goals at this time became barbell focused. Kettlebells became just another tool in the tool box.

Overtime I the next couple of years had accumulated a 35# KB (for my wife), 2-55# KB's, and 1-80# KB

Towards the end of 2016 and the early part of 2017 (this year) I had accomplished all of my goals when it came to 1 rep maxes with the barbell. I won't list those numbers here but I have them listed in my Training Log if anyone is interested. I hit my Squat goal the week before my second child was born and felt really good about putting barbells on the back burner for a while and focus on KB movements. Second child was born and once we got home from the hospital I made it a goal to sneak in at least 20 minutes of KB work or bodyweight work when either my son was napping or it was my wife's turn to feed him a bottle. Needing quick workouts I automatically thought of S&S for conditioning and use Ladders for Clean & Presses with the 80 and double Front Squats with the 2-55's and always do Pull Ups between these sets for strength work. These were done everyday but alternating days. I started with the 55 for the swings and 35 for TGUs. After 2 weeks (I took that much time off from work) I was doing all Swings and TGUs with the 80. The ultimate goal during that 2 weeks was to do 1 TGU with the 80 but the first time I completed 1 rep with the each arm, I ended up doing 5 with each arm for a total of 10 reps.

After my "baby leave" from work was over, I was using The Juggernaut Method 2.0 for 2 days a week at the gym for barbells during my lunch break at work and 2 days of S&S. I even brought my second 55# KB to work so I could do could perform S&S when I wasn't too busy and Saturday was going to be my "Heavy" S&S day. I kept plugging along with this setup and would sometimes do Snatches instead of 1 arm swings with the 55 just to make things a bit harder and would sometimes do between 5-10 TGUs with each arm with the 55 to really build technique and accumulate volume. I would also add in the 1 all out set of 2 handed swings with the 55 if I was feeling decent and didn't want to do 100 Snatches or Swings. I set a PR of 150 straight swings with 55 a couple of weeks ago. I even convinced my wife to let me purchase a 106 / 48 kg bell since she knew I was getting pretty serious with kettlebell work again.

----- FINALLY GETTING TO THE POINT HERE ------

After a few weeks of Clean & Jerk Ladders and a ton of 2 Hand Swings with The Beast, increased frequency on TGUs with the 80, this past Saturday (5/27/17) it was time to test my S&S skills and see if I could achieve MY SIMPLE. Here were my results:

80 lb Kettlebell
1 Arm Swings: 5x10 each arm (4:40)
TGUs: 5x1 each arm (7:38)

When I stopped the clock on my phone after I finished the final TGU I was SUPER excited. My wife and kids could hear how excited I was in the other room. I was probably more excited about this than I was when I hit a few of my barbell goals!! I know this is 10 pounds above "Simple" from the book but I had to call 80 lbs MY Simple since I didn't own a 70. Instead of sitting back and saying "job well done" I have started doing 1 Arm Swings with the 48kg / 106 bell and through volume and practice with the 80 hoping to perform a TGU with The Beast and eventually conquer Sinister.

Through the past couple of years I have learned that if you try to accomplish everything at once then you end up accomplishing nothing at all. At the moment I have planned to enter a 4 day a week strength phase starting in August with barbells but this may change depending on how S&S is going with The Beast. For me, if I want to focus on S&S I need to reduce barbell training to twice a week and perform TGUs as often as possible. The Swings have never been an issue since they have been in my routine in some form over the past few years. On the flip side, if I'm going to focus on barbell work in August then S&S frequency and intensity will get reduced. Strength is strength no matter what you are lifting but I've learned when I increase my general strength through barbell training and practice the technical aspects of S&S and other Kettlebell movements then the WTH effect takes place!

This has been my story to Simple and I really appreciate if anyone made it his far. Hopefully I can share a similar story if / when I can accomplish Sinister!! Thank you @Pavel and Thank you StrongFirst for all of the GREAT information you guys put out there for all of us!!

"Eighty percent of success is showing up."
— Woody Allen.

38 year old man. I discovered kettlebells in 2014. I don't remember how I found out about them, but I liked the simple, primal idea of them. Ball of iron/steel, with a handle. Pick it up, throw it around. Simple.

My wife bought me a 16kg bell in November that year. I learned how to two hand swing it. Got sick with pneumonia in both lungs and wound up in the hospital for a week in March 2015. Diagnosed with a rare disease/disorder Eosinophilia. It is a disorder that produces too many eosinophils, a type of white blood cell. Too many of them can cause problems in your lungs and other places. I developed asthma because of this. Not a good time.

A month or so out of the hospital, I came back to exercise and the kettlebell. I discovered Pavel and his Simple and Sinister program. Very appealing program for a neophyte. As he says in the book, all of the thinking has been done for you. Follow the program on a near daily basis.

Starting out was a chore, especially the Get-Ups. I could not TGU a 16kg bell. I was a month out of the hospital and probably the weakest I have been in my adult life. I had to buy a 12kg bell, just to get the bell overhead. The idea of moving a 32 kg bell off the ground and over my head seemed absurd, insane. Impossible.

But, the thing is, I kept showing up to practice. Working nights, getting home at 4:30 in the morning, I would hustle my two kettlebells out of a closet, do the practice before wife woke up at 5 am and take her to work at 6. I liked S&S. Kettlebells were fun! Some days they would kick my butt, but I enjoyed it. I would be swinging a kettlebell in the dark silent morning, building a quiet foundation of strength, day by day.

I progressed to the 24kg in August of 2015, and suddenly that 32kg did not seem so crazy. I would miss days here and there, but I would keep coming back. Put aside the practice time and focus, and your body will know what to do.

I bought the dreaded 32kg for Christmas 2015, except I was not dreading it anymore. It was an exciting day when it arrived! Worked with it for a few months, with a hiatus for moving in 2016, and accomplished Simple standard in September 2016. Roughly a year and a half. It might have been done sooner, but we all have our own pace.

Results? When my wife says she likes hugging me because my torso is so thick. That's virtually all kettlebell work. When I did a day of moving furniture up and down stairs, on and off a truck and waking up the next day soreness-free. That's real world, FUNCTIONAL strength. When you see a picture of yourself taken two years before your kettlebell journey, and are amazed at how skinny you were. Nobody will mistake me for Dan John, but I am so much more all around SOLID than I was before.

My asthma and disease are still with me, but well-managed. The 40kg kettlebell is in my future, and I still do S&S, as well as snatches and goblet squats. This kettlebell journey has been a blessing and a challenge. Just show up and do your best. The weight will come in time. Until then, every practice is its own success.

"Eighty percent of success is showing up."
— Woody Allen.

38 year old man. I discovered kettlebells in 2014. I don't remember how I found out about them, but I liked the simple, primal idea of them. Ball of iron/steel, with a handle. Pick it up, throw it around. Simple.

My wife bought me a 16kg bell in November that year. I learned how to two hand swing it. Got sick with pneumonia in both lungs and wound up in the hospital for a week in March 2015. Diagnosed with a rare disease/disorder Eosinophilia. It is a disorder that produces too many eosinophils, a type of white blood cell. Too many of them can cause problems in your lungs and other places. I developed asthma because of this. Not a good time.

A month or so out of the hospital, I came back to exercise and the kettlebell. I discovered Pavel and his Simple and Sinister program. Very appealing program for a neophyte. As he says in the book, all of the thinking has been done for you. Follow the program on a near daily basis.

Starting out was a chore, especially the Get-Ups. I could not TGU a 16kg bell. I was a month out of the hospital and probably the weakest I have been in my adult life. I had to buy a 12kg bell, just to get the bell overhead. The idea of moving a 32 kg bell off the ground and over my head seemed absurd, insane. Impossible.

But, the thing is, I kept showing up to practice. Working nights, getting home at 4:30 in the morning, I would hustle my two kettlebells out of a closet, do the practice before wife woke up at 5 am and take her to work at 6. I liked S&S. Kettlebells were fun! Some days they would kick my butt, but I enjoyed it. I would be swinging a kettlebell in the dark silent morning, building a quiet foundation of strength, day by day.

I progressed to the 24kg in August of 2015, and suddenly that 32kg did not seem so crazy. I would miss days here and there, but I would keep coming back. Put aside the practice time and focus, and your body will know what to do.

I bought the dreaded 32kg for Christmas 2015, except I was not dreading it anymore. It was an exciting day when it arrived! Worked with it for a few months, with a hiatus for moving in 2016, and accomplished Simple standard in September 2016. Roughly a year and a half. It might have been done sooner, but we all have our own pace.

Results? When my wife says she likes hugging me because my torso is so thick. That's virtually all kettlebell work. When I did a day of moving furniture up and down stairs, on and off a truck and waking up the next day soreness-free. That's real world, FUNCTIONAL strength. When you see a picture of yourself taken two years before your kettlebell journey, and are amazed at how skinny you were. Nobody will mistake me for Dan John, but I am so much more all around SOLID than I was before.

My asthma and disease are still with me, but well-managed. The 40kg kettlebell is in my future, and I still do S&S, as well as snatches and goblet squats. This kettlebell journey has been a blessing and a challenge. Just show up and do your best. The weight will come in time. Until then, every practice is its own success.
Congrats @Howard D ! A truly inspiring story!

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I wanted to finally post because I have lurked in the past and drawn inspiration from a lot of stories here. Maybe one day someone will be struggling and get motivated reading about ol' Howard, huffing and puffing his way to Simple! :)

Hit Simple and Sinister on 8 July 2017 after 10 weeks from beginning. Never been in better shape overall. I'm an Active duty Marine, currently deployed overseas. This is a program I will return to many times for the rest of my life. It is an excellent reset, as well as a good long-term no-frills program. I plan on staying with it for at least the rest of my deployment, then will begin the ETK ROP.
Semper Fi!

Back
Top Bottom