all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "I Achieved S & S Simple! Here's My Story"

HI STRONGFIRST PEOPLE!

I'm Jim french 32years old

here is my story !
17-23 years old> smoke a lot and smoke a lot of drug.
23-27 years old> smoke and drink wiskhy a lot.
27years old> a lung injury and body damaged by work,home work and bad health.

O.H.F*** ( sry for gentlemen i like to speak american...lol. and so,sorry for my poor english)

>>>>I HAVE TO CHANGE MY LIFE AND WAKE UP!!!! here its the beginning , the CHOC of my life!

-I begin by running
-Next bodyweight workout..push pull sqt...
-I buy my first kettlebell 12kg
-i begin some crossfit workout

>HERE I WAS BREAK AGAIN MY ONLY HELP WAS YOUTUBE AND NETWORK

>>>>SO I CHOOSE KETTLEBELL because its so BADASS!

-I begin snatch
-I begin jerk
-I go to paris meet our girevoy champion
-tehcnique check
-HOW TO TRAIN ??? REALLY I DONT KNOW, no problem i go the HARDEST that I CAN!!

>NO PROGRESS AND EXHAUST
>AGAIN LOST IN THE WORKOUT INDUSTRY
>I HAVE THE WILLINGNESS BUT MY MIND AND MY BODY WAS BROKE AGAIN BY OVERWORKOUT

O.H.f*** AGAIN....DESESPERATE....

>HAZARD
>AMAZON
>kettlebell

""""SIMPLE AND SINISTER""""""

-I have read the book 4 5 time because of my english and to remember
-GOD! i have no god ! but this idea of trainning is very far of all that i have read, and i understand SO MUTCH THINGS
-my girevoy champion said me strongfirst simple et efficace

>>>I begin 24kg S&S , easy but not hardstyle...

> SO I GO MEET ALEXEY SENIOR SFG TO PARIS TO LEARN HARDSTYLE.

I dont know pavel tsatsouline but i know now my way!

!!!I AM VERY PROUD TO MEET ALEXEY!!!

What a PRO MAN! what a friendly guy! what G.R.E.A.T TEATCHER.
AS GREAT AS SOCIAL NETWORK STRONGFIRST STARS! YES MEET HIM MEET THE HARDSTYLE!
IF i could go learn every week with him , i would go!! but here there are 3hours of road between us!

8 MONTH later , i hit the SIMPLE GOAL, not my most powerful swings and stable get up, but the 16minuts were okay!

>>>>>>>>

I come from 71kg to 78kg of muscle with S&S
THIS PROGRAM CHANGE MY LIFE
I FEEL READY
I FEEL OKAY
I FEEL STRONG
My upper back pain goes away
I FEEL BETTER BETTER BETTER IN MY LIFE
I M TOTALY AGREE WITH THE IDEA OF THE BOOK!
IT IS A 100% SUCCESS FOR ME AND I WAS FAR AWAY OF A FITMAN

SIMPLE AND SINISTER IS NOW MY WAY OF LIFE!
I WOULD HAVE SOME VARIETY BUT I REMEMBER THE IDEA

AND I DREAM OF SINISTER!!!!

I am very close to achieving Simple. Not quite there, but I hit a big milestone today and just want to share.

Background: 11 months ago I was 30 pounds heavier and a couch potato. A family picture at my son's birthday party was shocking, to say the least. I needed to make a change. I heard about kettlebells from a few Art of Manliness articles and podcasts, and it doesn't take long to hear about Pavel when researching kettlebell lifting. I started S&S in mid-October 2016 with a 35lb bell.

In the last few weeks, I have done 10 x 10 one-arm swings in 5 minutes (sets on :30) with the 32kg/70lb bell twice.

Today, I finally achieved 5 getups per side with 32kg/70lb in 10:00! I have done 5 x 1/1 many times, but always between 15-18 minutes (sets on 3:00 or 4:00). I "waved the load" for the last few weeks:
- Heavy: 2-3 per side with 32kg, 4:00 rest (decreasing rest until 3 per side every 2:00)
- Medium: 5 per side with 24kg, 3:00 rest
- Light: 4 sets of 2 per side with 16kg, 2:00 rest

That pattern worked well - occasionally I would push my Heavy session to try to get all 10 reps in 10 minutes, inching ever closer.

Now I just have to string them together in one session. I continue to "wave the load" with the swings (OTM, every :45, every :35), and intend to achieve Simple proper by the end of August.

Next up: TSC prep in September and October, then Rite of Passage with 16kg (to increase 24kg RM and achieve the SFG snatch test).

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for this forum!!! It's motivated and inspired me on a daily basis. I've been a lurker for quite a while, but finally feel justified to break my silence (with quite a long post). Today, after 15 months, I achieved Simple...with a minute and a half to spare.

A little backstory:

-33 year old husband and father, 6 feet tall, 170 pounds.

-Professional musician/band nerd serving in the military as a Bugler at Arlington national cemetery.

-Little to no physical training background

-Joined the Army as a 29 year old doctoral music student after winning a national audition in 2013

-Became interested in physical training after basic combat training

-Heard Pavel's interview on the Tim Ferris Show

-Bought and started "Simple and Sinister" with my first 16kg bell in June of 2016.

It's important to note that my main interest in training didn't come from what the Army required of me. It is my oldest daughter's needs that drive me to get stronger. She was born with a freak brain injury resulting in severe cerebral palsy. Her needs are significant and she is completely dependent on those around her. She is the greatest blessing that has been given to me and my wife. I need strength not only for her safety, but for the safety of my entire family. The bigger she gets, the more motivated I am to get strong.

"Simple and Sinister" was a great starting point for said strength. Within the first few months of practice, I noticed that carrying her was easier even though she was gaining weight. The principles of a good hinge and packed shoulders work wonders when picking her up off the floor. I also feel more stable than ever when moving her from place to place.

It took a little longer than I had hoped to reach the goal, but I'm glad I was persistent. Getting comfortable with the 32kg took about 7 months. I dealt with hand tearing and a lower back strain, but quickly realized how I could fix those problems. Chalk and the top of a sock is not cheating in my book, and sitting deeper in the hinge (bending my knees a little more) takes most of the pressure off my back. If nothing else, I feel stronger for learning from my mistakes.

Thanks again for being such a great community!!! This program is amazing!

A minute and a half to spare! Awesome work Marty and I wish the best for you and your daughter.

Thanks so much! I didn't mean to finish so soon, but I had rarely timed myself in the past. Pacing on the getups was probably a little quick. I do have to admit that I was pretty gassed at the end of both exercises. I met the standard, but I have a ways to go before owning it.

Inspiring story Marty. You are a hero to your daughter and wife. Power to you!

That's awesome @Marty you're one of those everyday hero's more people should know about. Much respect.

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement!

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple achieved last week.

I'm a 44 y/o, 170lb male and was more or less detrained when I came to the forum in late May asking advice about S&S and barbells. Members wisely told me to just follow S&S as written and not try to change the program.

I followed that advice, and it was a good decision.

I started S&S on May 25 with 24kg bell. I started a training log, and helpful folks pointed out I was going too hard, too often. I switched to sets EMOTM, or some variation.

I tested a few maxes before starting S&S. I tested again over the last two days.

Lift ------------------------------------------ Old Max -------------------------------- New Max
KB Military Press (24kg bell)--------------2x right arm, 1x left arm---------------6x right, 3x left
Barbell Military Press (110 lbs)------------1 rep--------------------------------------5 reps
Bench Press (185 lbs)------------------------1 rep--------------------------------------5 reps
Weighted Pull up-----------------------------45 lbs added----------------------------60 lbs added

I didn't touch a barbell the entire 10 weeks, nor did I press a KB. I did do 3x7 bw pullups after some workouts, or 3x20-25 pushups after other workouts. I did a few snatch training sessions with a 16kg bell just to learn the movement.

As I said, I was more or less detrained and hadn't lifted in a while before I started S&S, so I expected some increases in my lifts, but I didn't expect them to increase as much as they did.

Immediately after staring S&S my posture felt better, I felt more 'stable' or 'solid' just walking around. I put on a small but noticeable amount of mass in the shoulders and back. One day about half way through I was walking down the sidewalk and realized something felt different. It took me a minute to figure it out. It was the sensation of my arms rubbing against my lats - which apparently they didn't do before. The mirror confirms my lats grew a modest amount. I wasn't expecting that.

I wish I could get to the BJJ gym and see how I feel rolling, as that might be the ultimate test of carryover effect. Alas, it hasn't happened yet.

I'm really glad I did this and I can see myself revisiting S&S and trying for "Solid". Thanks to everyone that provided advice or encouragement.

Next is ROP. I'll start tomorrow.

Update-

Gains on the deadlift from swings are well documented to the point that they are almost no longer WTH effects, but I'll add mine anyway.

I just tested my 1RM deadlift and got 305lbs. That may not sound like much, but earlier today I was telling a friend I was going to start this 7 week deadlift program (Daily Dose Deadlifts). I said I hoped to move my max from 250 (what I assumed was probably my max) to maybe 285 at the end of the seven weeks. So I'm more than a little surprised to pull 305.

I haven't deadlifted in earnest in years (always a little leery since I've strained my back before). 305 is about what my all time max was 10 years ago when i was frying my CNS and getting burnt out on Starting Strength.

Time to make my goals a little loftier. :D

If anyone is on the fence about starting S&S, my suggestion is to do it.

Hi. I'm a 40 yo male in Western Australia and new to the forums. I have a form of muscular dystrophy called FSHD and have never done resistance training before. I came across S&S online and bought the Ebook.

For clarification : Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophyis a disorder characterized by muscle weakness and wasting (atrophy). This condition gets its name from the muscles that are affected most often: those of the face (facio-), around the shoulder blades (scapulo-), and in the upper arms (humeral). The disorder is progressive and there is xurrrently no treatment or cure.

For me, my problem areas are the shoulders and calves. Otherwise I'm pretty regular and have really taken a liking to the low impact form of the kettlebell.

My small achievement to share is this week I've completed 10x10 2H swings in 5 minutes with the 16kg kettlebell (quite comfortably after 6 weeks of daily practice) I have been recommended not perform TGU at this time as even with 2-3 kg the shoulder stability is poor. I am doing the armbar quite happily with 8kg instead.

Is it time to move to a heavier bell for my swings ? I will continue Armbar until the TGU seems possible.

I am looking forward to my version of a fighters physique ...

Thanks for your time, James

Is it time to move to a heavier bell for my swings ? I will continue Armbar until the TGU seems possible.

Welcome, James, and congratulations on your progress! I'm curious - will the shoulders become stronger, perhaps? Is there any chance that the atrophied muscles will compromise other muscles if you go heavier? Proceed with caution... But if you feel good during and after your swing session, and continue to feel good the day after, it sounds to me like you are ready to incorporate a heavier bell. You can always start with smaller sets (5, 7, 8 swings at a time instead of 10) and mixed in with the 16kg. So for example your 2nd, 4th, 6th sets for example might be 7 swings with the 20 or 24kg, and the rest of your sets would be your normal 10 swings with the 16kg. Continue to mix in and the heavier/longer sets as you are able to maintain good form and recovery. Hope that helps, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks Anna C. I am enjoying the sessions and feel energised afterwards - it's very positive experience so far. It's specifically a scapula weakness (serratus anterior I think it's called) and the swing doesn't trouble me so I will proceed cautiously. The only caveat imposed by my neurologist is not to exercise any muscle group to fatigue, which seems to be consistent with Pavels ideas in any case. In fact, I have lined up a L1 SFG instructor to train with this Saturday morning, to check my form and suggest some additional movements. I wish I discovered StrongFirst earlier !

15:18 - nailed it. Have been reading here for awhile, but its also my first post - forgive the long story that follows, but I've benefitted so much from the stories/training logs of others that I want to share mine in case it can help anyone else.

For background, I'm a 30 year-old male, about 5'10 and 170-175 pounds. Was a distance runner from my teens through early 20's, then started weight training 4-5 years ago. Mostly focused on barbell programs - I'm one of those types that doesn't put on a ton of muscle easily, but hit some decent levels - 335 deadlift for a rep or two, 285 or so back squat, 205-210 for bench at a bodyweight of 185. Last fall, I was feeling a bit burnt out with lack of progress on the barbell, and also knew that my training time/flexibility would be inhibited with the arrival of my second child. Was looking for a routine I could use flexibly day-by-day without having to worry about programming or doing specific lifts on specific days - S&S fit the bill.

I started S&S with 16kg last September, hitting the standards came pretty easily once I figured out OHS and TGU technique. 20kg came very quickly after that, as did 24kg. I ordered a 32kg bell in mid-December - I remember being shocked at how heavy it was, and couldn't even fathom swinging it one handed initially. Over the next few months, I steadily built up to where I could hit 10x10 swings in 10 minutes at a reasonable level of effort, and got the TGUs under 10 mins pretty much every session. The issue was my grip - I could do 10x10 with the 32kg, but for a day or two after that, my hands were so beat that I'd have to go back to the 24kg.

Felt my core strength and cardio was there for Simple much earlier this year, but the grip just wasn't even close. Frustrated, I spent a few months shaking things up a bit - did 5 or 6 weeks of PTTP, some weeks on less structured barbell and kettlebell work, and also shifted most of my swings to sets of 5 on the minute in A+A style (and very recently started doing some sets with the 36kg). 3 weeks ago, I settled into a nice grove on the Daily Dose Deadlift plan (75% days doing 5x1 @ 250), with some easy pressing (mostly 20kg), and continuing the A+A swings and snatches.

Today, after my deadlifts and pressing, I wanted to push things a bit, so decided to start my swings with a set of 10 and see how it felt. Felt good, so I switched to the other arm and banged out another 10. At this point, I had my eyes on the Simple standard, and pushed through a tough last set to complete them all in around 4:30. Hadn't done more than a few TGUs per week recently, but decided I give them a go - after resting a minute cranked them out in a bit under 10 mins. Little weak on the last 3 or 4 (the swings gassed me), got them done without killing myself.

So, almost by accident, I finally hit the standard I set out to meet 9 or 10 months ago. Feels great - the key for me was switching things up a bit when I stalled out earlier this year with the grip challenges. I especially think the A+A swings let me get higher/more consistent volume with the 32, without inhibiting recovery for my hands. I'll be continuing my DL/Press/A+A swing program, with a goal of a 350-365 DL later this fall (2x+ bodyweight) and then will target the 5 min snatch test with the 24kg. Thanks to all here for the great community, inspiration, and resources!

Back
Top Bottom