all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "I Achieved S & S Simple! Here's My Story"

Dear StrongFirst Community,
My name is Feridun.
Turkish, 40 years old.
I am working as a Personal and Taxi Driver here in Norway.
I am 1.80 cm and 75 kg
(5'11" feet 164 lbs)

I started S&S (Simple) three months ago with a 16 kg kettlebell.
My warmup is 33 + 22 push ups and Halos.
Can complete 10x10 One–Arm Swings in less than 5 minutes and TGU's in 10 minutes.
After the task I do a few triceps and biceps excercises with the kettlebell. This is my daily routine. It takes around 20–30 minutes to complete.
On my "off days" I do 10x20 Two–Arm swings only.

I am not ready for the 24 kg Kettlebell right now. Feels a little bit heavy for me.
I need to improve my TGU technique first.

The Simple & Sinister book by Pavel is like a hidden treasure. Each time when I open the book I discover new brilliant messages.

Thank you very much for your effort Pavel Tsatsouline and today 23rd August HAPPY BİRTHDAY !!! @Pavel

Attachments

• IMG_20170823_083021.png
    IMG_20170823_083021.png
    693.5 KB · Views: 49
Long time lurker who has decided to become active on the forum because I have learned so much from reading all of the posts here. My first post here on the forum is to to say I completed Simple today! My goal was to do it in 6 weeks and I completed it ahead of schedule...5 weeks and 5 days! I'm going to keep with it and re-evaluate once I reach solid. The biggest surprise to me is my abs have not been this visible since I was in High School...currently I am 37. I wasn't expecting that. Thanks for letting me share this win with you all!

If you've achieved the Simple goal from Pavel's, "Kettlebell: Simple & Sinister," we loved to hear about it! We'll keep this thread visible near the top of the Kettlebell forum.

Please tell us a little about yourself, when you started and when you achieved Simple - and whatever else you like because this is your story in your words.

-S-
Howdy folks,

I am a 52 year old retired Paramedic that is now something of a Cowboy here in Texas. After 29 years in the medical world, we medics overhear a lot of things, and over the years things seem to change. Example: cholesterol is bad if your total cholesterol is over 200, changed to 175 and 150 and now has very little to do with heart attacks, if fact most people that have a heart attack have normal to low cholesterol.

That is just one example of hundreds from my years. However Three things that has never changed in the thinking of cardiologists is this: {1} High levels of Triglycerides WILL almost undoubtedly lead to a MI, {Myocardial Infarction} otherwise known as a Heart Attack, as well as Heart Disease. {2} Your diet. Lose the high amounts of sugar and reduce the simple carbs in your life and it will most likely be a long and healthy one.

And {3} The Kettlebell.. you read that right, but kurt you say, how is that possible, you retired 5 years ago and you were a medic for 29 years that would mean Cardiologist were aware of the Cardio pulmonary benefits of the KB in like 1983 or so..yep your math is spot on. Not every Cardiologist in America is American, some have come from the former Soviet Union, and they are in my opinion, the best Dr's that we medics have ever worked with. They get it, they deeply understand the cause and effect of Heart Attacks and degenerative health. In other words, they are not trying to push a pill on you so they can get a kick back of a few dollars.

To sum up: {1} Take a wild guess as too what exercise decreases triglycerides more effectively, meaning faster drop in shortest amount of time. If you said anything other than KB swings you would be very wrong. Follow S and S and live long. {2} Repeat number {1} for the rest of your long life. {3} Drop the sugar and simple carbs, you don't need it, Don't fight yourself..

Enjoy your very long healthy life by doing your S and S training every day....

Been on the path for two years three months, my triglycerides now after testing last month are at 77, norm is 150. and after my calcium CT of my heart i have a score of 0.0...at my age of 52 that puts me in the top 1%.. before i started S and S two years ago, i was at 218 and and a CT score of 2.1..amazing these KB's...

First post, so by way of introduction: was a discus thrower back in college, so I have some background in olympic lifts. These days, I spend most of my day sitting at a desk at work or shuttling my young kids around. But there's no dust gathering in my little home gym, and I'm proud of that.

Came to kettlebells by way of the "Iron Circuit" videos that Master Pavel did with TRX a few years back. Absolutely love kettlebells, particularly given the small space I have to work with. And I'm a firm believer that strength calisthenics make you better at just about everything.

Been lurking on the forum for a while, enjoying what I read and taking away a lot of ideas. Achieved Simple yesterday, figured that's a good excuse to sign up and tell somebody who knows what that means.

Feel like I don't quite own it yet, though, because I had to use two hands to raise and lower the bell from/to the floor on the get ups. I can do ~2-3 per arm with the 32 without using the opposite arm, but it wears out my wrist strength to the point where its not safe anymore. I'm curious for expert opinions about 1 vs 2 hands getting the bell off the floor - better to focus more on the endurance with the single arm, or use 2 and start working a heavier bell?

Either way, felt awfully good standing at the top of that 10th get up.

Great job! Yes, you own it even if you use 2 hands for the floor press; that is fine. My vote would be to get a 40kg and start working it in for swings and get-ups.

40s male/ Height: 1.85m/6'0"feet and 89 kg/195 lbs.

Summary:
About ten years ago I worked out at a KB-specific gym for nearly a year. Due to driving time, I switched to a closer CrossFit gym for the last eight or nine years. About ten months ago, I decided to use S&S when coming back from a foot injury which required a few weeks in a walking boot. I decided to use S&S as a foundation since I knew I had some muscular and mobility imbalances that I wanted to address.

Given my strength background, it took three weeks to meet the Simple standard. I had a decent strength base from CrossFit though it wasn't my focus for the last few years. I spent one week focused on technique with a 24kg. I then spent the next two weeks incorporating the 32kg and by the end of the second week met the Simple standard. I followed the warmup and instructions very closely throughout the process.

Overall, I think the program is excellent, and I have consistently recommended it to others.

I like that you don't have to think about programming. The simplicity is a feature, not a bug. There are just a few things to think about as you do each movement. When you have the same movements, it is easier to focus on quality technique and power over quantity. I was always thinking about my mental checklist - packed shoulder, knees in proper position and not floating forward on swings.

Also, there is much more you can do to play around with it than you think. For example, slowing down TGU obviously makes a tremendous difference. At first, I was determined to repeat every workout 32KG, but as time went along, I appreciated having a de-load day.

When I started, I had some imbalances and tweaks to make. One side was weaker. For example, when doing a left-side TGU, my opposite leg was coming off the floor. And when doing a left-handed swing, my left knee was coming forward, and my left shoulder was not as active as it needed to be. (Yes I know S&S is about "strong" and "stronger" sides but for clarity, I will use weak vs. strong!). Shoulder strength and health are significantly better. All of the time in the TGU has helped my shoulders.

For my setup, I built a simple floor mat by cutting a 4x8 plywood sheet in half and gluing rubber gym tiles to it. Cutting it in half makes it easier to move around. I park my car in the garage so I can lean the 4x4 sections against the wall.

Frequency:
In general, I've averaged S&S 3-4 per week. I never did it every day. My peak was a two week period where I did it five times per week. I had noticeable results with that frequency.

With 2-3 S&S sessions per week along with other work, I can meet the Simple standard. However, I've since found that I don't "own it" when I only do it twice a week. I need four sessions per week to "own it."

Results:
I saw a significant jump in grip strength. In particular, my weaker side grip strength improved though it is still not equivalent to my dominant side. I noticed that I have to work harder on my weak side to keep my wrist neutral in the TGU. I love the little things you can discover with the program.

I did not do the max effort swings very often. The last time I did, it was about six weeks in and did 205 reps at 24kg. I do need to re-test it.

I never felt sore or wiped out. Occasionally, I had days where I felt a bit more tired but that could be other lifestyle factors like sleep and work stress. On those days, I did the eccentric swings or a light workout like riding a bike.

WTH:
While doing S&S, I hadn't done a barbell deadlift in months. When I gave it a try, the bar felt very light at 85% of my old 1RM. I didn't push it that day but felt very comfortable, and I think I could have set a PR.

Problems and concerns:
TGU were irritating my knees. I felt like I was grinding my kneecap a bit at the windshield wiper to lunge. I switched to the modification of moving my front foot instead of sweeping my back leg. I also, added knee pads.

Other thoughts:
Get an instructor - It was a busy time when I got into it, and I wish I had gotten a few visits into a KB class or with an instructor. I don't have significant technique problems due to my previous time at a dedicated KB gym, but I always want to dial in technique.

Adding squats- I do goblet squats as part of the warmup routine but have occasionally experimented with 5x5 Goblet Squats at the end of an S&S session. I eventually reached 48KG, but I would not recommend adding it until achieving Simple. One reason I like S&S is that I do not want to be "gassed" at the end of every session.

What's next:
I'm now contemplating the next stage of activity. I'm working on ROP instead of the Sinister standard. I think the "easy" gains have been made and getting to Sinister will require focus.

I'm also adding some interval run training - I'm not as fluid in my running and want to rebuild some speed.

Lastly, I'm also thinking of getting the FMS as I want to make sure I have quality movement and I want to prevent injuries. I'm also curious about that vs. SFMA, but I haven't done enough research.

Thanks for reading my long-winded tale of achieving Simple!

I achieved Simple standard today. I am a male, 193 cm, about 75-80 kgs (not sure, have not weighed myslef in a long time).

After having done several half-hearted attempts at different training programs, I have decided exactly one year ago, on 31 Dec 2016 that I will not do any program and will not switch anything until I reach the Simple standard. It was not a new year resolution (although the timing coincidense looks suspicious, I know), I just got sick of my own non-commitment and lack of results because of it. It is another amazing coincidence that it took me almost exactly one year to the day to achieve it.

I started with a 24 kg bell because I have already achieved the time goals with 16 kgs during one of my "program-hopping" periods earlier. I won't bore you with details how I did it. There is a famous quote by Lev Tolstoy: “All happy families are alike, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” In the same vein, I think everybody who achieves the Simple standard is doing the same thing by the end, but we fail on the way to it differently.

So here are my two main failures during this year that have taught me the most valuable lessons:

1) Pushing the clock in every session is dumb. This is what I did in the beginning with the 24 and I did reach the 32 that way, but it was considerably harder to maintain further and my times were getting worse, so I rolled back to longer rests. Eventually I was doing swings every minute on the minute (EMOM). At first I thought that if you do EMOM, you are twice as far away from the goal (since EMOM means doing 100 swings in 10 mintues), but as my own experience showed, you can train this way for a long time, then take 1-2 weeks to ramp up the pace and succeed. If you build a solid base with those long rests, you can survive the punishment of the test day. The progress to Simple is not linear.

2) Often skipping getups. Getups are easier for me in gerenal than swings. I got the 10 minute getup standard with the 24 and 32 much sooner than 5 min swing standards. So I arrogantly thought that I don't need to train getups as often. The hard truth hit me when I attempted the Simple standard for the first time and failed. That's when I realized the devilish aspect of the test - getups are so much harder when following the 5 minute heavy swings with only 1 min rest inbetween. I also discovered that the most difficult part of the getup for me during test was not the same as during training. During the test it was the move from lunge to standing position. Probably because of the fatigue already accumulating in the legs after all the swings.

During this journey I have had re-read the book (chapter by chapter) several times. It truly is packed with information that I could not even appreciate until I started the program. In general, I am now completely confident that this is the most versatile GPP program out there and highly recommended to be done by eveybody as foundation builder for any other training protocol.

Back
Top Bottom