"I Achieved S & S Simple! Here's My Story"

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by Steve Freides, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Senior Certified Instructor

@Phi' D', welcome to the StrongFirst forum, and congratulations on reaching Simple.

-S-

2. Lucien

Lucien Second Post

Greetings,

I’m a 23 years old, 72KG male living in France, and I passed the Simple test two times this summer.

I discovered StrongFirst four years ago thanks to French SFG Instructors. I read Simple & Sinister in December 2017, began the program at the same time with the 16KG KB. I had the opportunity to participate in 3 courses to learn and correct the movements. I introduced the 32KG KB a year ago in my S&S routine, and progressively reduced the rests. It took almost a year to pass the Simple test with the 32KG because I like to take time to own the movements, and I feel like even now I still need to progress in my swing technique. I began with the 40KG KB in July, and I felt good in both movements, I was able to do 32-40-40-32-32.I just moved in a new home, and it’s currently impossible for me to do TGU with maximal safety due to the ground. I will probably need to buy something to protect the tiles, but it may be the time to try something different.

I read The Quick and the Dead and really enjoyed it. I want to give it a try, because it may exactly fit my new life (new home, new job, less time). I am currently following the Power Push-Up program made by Jody Beasley to improve my technique.

My question is : should I begin Q&D now, or should I own S&S with 40KG KB first ? I want to be sure I have a « rock-solid midsection » for Q&D.

This is my first post here, but I have to thank you all for the informations and advices I can read on this forum.

North, WhatWouldHulkDo, Xene and 2 others like this.
  3. Bunn

Bunn Triple-Digit Post Count

@Lucien If you have met simple with the 32kg and you feel your power pushups are good, I would start Q&D. You may want to ease into it with a few shorter sessions to see how the swings and pushups feel, and then increase the number and duration or workouts as your comfort and skill grows. Take the same approach you did with S&S, don't rush it, and you should be fine.

And, congratulations on reaching simple!

North likes this.
  4. Jan

Jan More than 500 posts

Bonjour @Lucien and welcome to the forum :)
    Congratulations on reaching Simple :)

5. Lucien

Lucien Second Post

@Jan, thank you !
    @Bunn, thank you for your answer, I will start Q&D progressively just after the Power Push-up program.

6. rodgie

rodgie First Timer

As a brief intro, I am a long time reader of the forum and have actually owned a 24kg RKC kettlebell for about 18-19 years. Most of its life it has been a door stop but over the last two years it has seen regular action and some other kettlebells added to keep it company.

I started the S&S program in October 2018 after spending the previous part of 2018 doing high volume swings. This peaked in a charity one hour swing session of 1,256 two handed swings.

Starting S&S I could swing the 32kg but had to use the 24kg for the TGUs. My main issue being lack of mobility in the shoulders and T-spine to perform the getups well. Some days I struggled to get a good single complete with the 24kg.

By January 2019 I had made good progress but could not get to the elbow with the 32 kg. Moving onto the 31st May 2019 I completed Simple but on watching a recording realised my form could be improved, specifically keeping my elbow locked on the get-ups. I tested again in July and made the time but was not please with the form. Fast forward to September and I completed Simple a couple of times and each one the getups feel much improved.

I enjoyed the simplicity of the training. I would get up, straight to the kettlebell and get the practice in. The S&S sessions have averaged 3.5 days a week over 12 months. My shoulders feel much more stable and mobile but there is always work to be done. (I cannot do a TGU with a shoe for example).

My first post from a long time reader. I have gained a lot from reading this site so thank you.

7. Jan

Jan More than 500 posts

@rodgie : Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your progress with your shoulder and reaching Simple :)

8. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Senior Certified Instructor

@rodgie, welcome to the StrongFirst forum and congrats to you.

-S-

9. Valentijn

Valentijn Double-Digit Post Count

Hi there, greetings grom The Netherlands.

November last year I purchased a 16kg kettlebell and started to follow Simple and Sinister 3 to 5 times a week. After three months of training I purchased a 24kg kettlebell and within 2 months I met the time standards. I was planning on following RoP after that, but since I was enjoying the simplicity of SaS I went on and bought a 28kg kettlebell. Within a month I owned it and purchased a 32kg kettlebell. Training with a 32kg was a big shock to my body, but I persisted and yesterday I finally achieved the Simple time standard.

Training (with the exception of the test days) was always very relaxed without any time presure. It was like moving meditation which I very much enjoy.

Besides SaS I also train for kettlebell sport (Longcycle) 2 to 3 times a week and I find SaS to be the perfect GPP program for kettlebell sport. Nu next competition is in april 2020 and I will keep you updated on my progress and competition results.

Thanks for reading!

10. Jan

Jan More than 500 posts

@Valentijn : Groeten vanuit Belgie, and welcome to the forum :)
    Congratulations on reaching Simple!

Valentijn likes this.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn Double-Digit Post Count

Bedankt en groeten terug @Jan