all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "I Achieved S & S Simple! Here's My Story"

If you've haven't ventured into 1H swings yet... I wouldn't worry about anything further until you can do those. Doing 100 1H swings is much different than 100 2H swings.

If you've haven't ventured into 1H swings yet... I wouldn't worry about anything further until you can do those. Doing 100 1H swings is much different than 100 2H swings.
Yes, big difference! Also make sure that you are doing them properly via video or coaching.

Here is an article by Dan John that guides you through the KB curriculum: Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2 - StrongFirst

And if you are interested in barbell training you can look into Power to the People and Beyond Bodybuilding. For some general knowledge about strength training you can look into Easy Strength

Two days ago I did all the swings single handedly. the problem was how much rest I needed between sets for me to feel sure I wouldn't let the weight fly. I guess I'll follow the book and mix in more and more single handed swings. Thank you for the advice! Actually, my temptation is to get the 40 kg bell when I'm ready and later on the 48 kg. This programme is the pinnacle of Pavel's work, to my knowledge, and I also just LOVE IT!

The one hand swings are going to challenge your grip and prepare you overall for the clean and the snatch, where one arm manages one kettlebell.

The one hand swings are going to challenge your grip and prepare you overall for the clean and the snatch, where one arm manages one kettlebell.
Well this is the thing. I'm starting to wonder about what my next step should be when I can indeed handle the S&S with the 32kg fairly easily/smoothly - ought I to simply progress to 40 and then 48 kg with the regular S&S plan or, since 32kg really is quite a heavy weight already - add in some other exercises in some kind of regular way to the workout with that 32kg weight? I just like to think and plan ahead - it keeps me enthusiastic.

Achieved simple a couple of minutes ago. First time I've tested.

Swings in 4:30, TGUs in 7:00

Pretty happy. 77 and humid in my living room. Never would have been possible without chalk. Can't believe I went so long without it.

Most noticeable physical improvements in my glutes and forearms.

Achieved Simple last week (27.06.-01.07.)!:):):)
Tested it every day in that week, so I can say that I'm able to hit the numbers whenever I want to.

- It took me about 6 1/2 months of S&S 5-6x/week to reach Simple*
- feeling better overall, very high energy levels (friends and family call me "Flubber" now, because of the green goo that's always jumping around in that movie with the same name)
- moving a lot better
- stronger and more endurance
- looking better (lost fat, gained muscle)
- biggest challenge was grip strength
- would recommend it to everyone looking to improve health, movement quality, strength, endurance & body composition

*I started S&S earlier, but then I was involved in a car accident on Halloween 2015, which lead to several light injuries, not being able to train for almost 2 months and gaining of fat. I only count the time after I could start again, because I basically needed to start from scratch again.

I wanted to start ROP after I reached Simple, but I'm so happy with my performance and the way I look that I'll just continue on my way to Sinister. The only thing that's going to change is that I want to improve my pullup and pushup numbers, so maybe I cut back S&S to 3 days/week and work those on the other 2, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

If you want to know some specifics like tactics to progress from one bell to the next, body composition changes or anything else, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Achieved Simple (27.6.2016), what a great excuse to write my first post here :D

Well, something about me...I am 23 years old (181 cm, 78kg) gyu from Czech republic, who never used Kettlebells seriously before (I was more bodyweight guy). But when Pavel Macek translated Simple and Sinister to czech I decidet that I am old enough to pick up some iron. No regrets here. My first successful attempt was 4:21 on Swings and 9:38 on Get ups. Since then I tried two more times (two and four days later), successfully every time.

-It took me a little bit more than 5 moths to reach Simple.
-My weight didn´t change much, but my fat percentage got down a little bit as my muscles percentage got up
- I am moving a lot better now (no kidding, my FMS score improved in Shoulder mobility and In line lunge from 2 to 3)
- My grip, kicks and punches are much stronger now
- I am able to run faster
- Oh and my abs are stronger and better looking than ever,

I must say, I really enjoyed this ride. But since my final goal is SFG 1 I can not stay on Simple and Sinister only. So after some great advices from P. Macek, I decided to go after RoP goals next.

Question, I don't have my S&S handy as it is loaned out. As is my ETK, which I've tried several times to get back. But I regress, is simple 10x10 swings with the 32K and 10 TGU with the 32 or must this also be done in the time limits explained to progress. 5 min. in the snatches and 10 min. in the TGU?

@banzaiengr Yes, the Simple goal for men is 100 one-arm swings (sum of arms) in sets of ten in five minutes with the 32kg, and five get-ups per arm in sets of one in ten minutes with the 32kg, after the swings and one minute of rest (S&S p. 83).

@banzaiengr Yes, the Simple goal for men is 100 one-arm swings (sum of arms) in sets of ten in five minutes with the 32kg, and five get-ups per arm in sets of one in ten minutes with the 32kg, after the swings and one minute of rest (S&S p. 83).

Thanks Anna, no one ever mentions their time so I was just curious. At least I have that under my belt.

Just to be clear, in the book it's 5min swings then 1min rest and then 10min TGU. Do I HAVE TO start my first TGU 1min after my swings or am I allowed to rest longer?
Once I'm able to meet the time standards for the swings, I can complete the TGUs in 6-7min. That's why I'm always resting for 2-4min after the swings...I still finish the TGUs in time.
I know what I'm asking is not important for the training effect, but it might be important for people who submit videos for the "Sinister Challenge" (Sinister)

It is my understanding, to meet the standards, you must start TGUs 1 min maximum after the swings.

This might be in the book and I may have missed it.

Can you move up in weight for one movement and not the other? Say it takes you 9 mins to do your 32kg swings but you can do the TGUs in 8 mins after 1 min rest. Can you go heavier with the TGUs while waiting for the swing time to decrease? I'm not in this situation, just curious.

This might be in the book and I may have missed it.

Can you move up in weight for one movement and not the other? Say it takes you 9 mins to do your 32kg swings but you can do the TGUs in 8 mins after 1 min rest. Can you go heavier with the TGUs while waiting for the swing time to decrease? I'm not in this situation, just curious.

Yes, and I believe that is encouraged. For instance going to TGU in the form of 32, 32, 40, 40, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32 and adding sets of 40K as appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom