all posts post new thread

Nutrition I am always hungry

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JW513

Level 5 Valued Member
For breakfast I have, eggs, yogurt, a meat, a healthier grain cereal with almond milk or protein shake..

Lunch is anything from pizza, chicken of some variety, left over meat from the night before, or when i got nothing else peanut butter and fluff. I try to bring nuts or beef jerky.

Supper, is usually a meat, and a vegetable, or something like that, or burger, hot dog or sausage..

I don't eat sweets except for real maple syrup and honey. But I do drink more beer than I should.

I should add, I work in construction and workout 6 days a week in the morning., so I need the calories. I love vegetables but hate fruit, unless it is in a smoothy.

This may be a broad statement, but what could I add to my diet to hold me over or keep me fuller longer. Come 11am, I loose my energy at work until I eat.

More water.

I am very similar to you in terms of being hungry often (although I chow fruit without hesitation) and used to give some credence to periodic fatigue being related to carbs - I have since abandoned that line of thought.

Increase your water consumption (and maybe eat some more) and see if that doesn't help. Makes a huge difference in my case.

When heavy training I was always hungry also. Especially the day after Deadlift day.

I ate 1kg of ground beef and 6 eggs most every day for 8 months. I built a good bit of momentum in my training. That was my minimum goal for the day, I still ate everything else I could get.

Building the Monolith - 5/3/1 for Size

I work a lot of hours in a heavy industrial job 50 hours a week, with extended periods of 60-72 hours a week. You need to eat regularly to maintain preparedness and recover. Stay safe on the job.

If you don’t get optimal sleep, like most, quality food can close some of that gap. Just my anecdote though.

Back to the question. What to add to you diet?

Ground beef patties. Some like hard boiled eggs, but I can’t even look at a hard boiled egg anymore. Easy to meal prep and eat on the job. Just eat some meat and move on. Two patties with spinach, apple or banana done. Who doesn’t like fruit?

Another staple for me is Greek yogurt. It’s also good for work when it is hot and before bed. Add what ever you want. Honey, Oil, seeds, nuts, fruit, berries, whatever. High in protein. I would eat plain Greek yorgart with a good olive oil before bed.

For snacks I keep jerky and nuts so I don’t regularly eat other junk.

Drink only water, but I did drink whole milk with whey, so you are not consuming empty calories.

Do you get enough fibre? 25g-35g a day is what WHO recommends. That's a lot of vegetables...
Try eating 600g (500kcal) of boiled potatoes with vegetables along with your meat and tell me you don't feel full. :)
I read a study where they tested what kinds of food was the most filling per 100kcal. 100kcal of boiled potatoes was the most, 100kcal butter the least filling.
cd89e86ab440226ff6ebc894283a08a0.jpg

Link to BBC-article:
The lifesaving food 90% aren’t eating enough of

Last edited:
dipose (fat) cells secrete leptin, you would think that a person who is overweight would have plenty of leptin and hence never feel hungry. Unfortunately, this is not true. Excess fat tissue in the body creates excess leptin and leads to leptin resistance, which causes feelings of hunger, even if a person has already had enough to eat.

a healthier grain cereal

Oxymoron

There no such thing as "A health grain cereal". It is a contradictory term.

almond milk

Almond Milk

There very little nutrition or benefits to Almond Milk. It contain virtually no protein.

"It gives you none (or very little) of the benefits of almonds, which include proteins and good fats, and neither does it give you the benefits of regular milk since it lacks calcium."

"...When you strain out the insoluble stuff from the "milk," you lose most of the stuff you'd eat almonds for in the first place." Source: Tip: Which Type of Milk Should You Drink? | T Nation

Real High Fat Milk

Milk protein quality protein. It's 80% Caseinate/20% Whey.

High Protein/Fat Meals

Protein is the macro that satiates (fill you up and kills hunger) with fat coming in right behind it.

Thus, meals that are higher in protein and fats are more effective at keeping you from being hungry along with maintaining stable blood glucose, which drives hunger.

Food like pizza are high glycemic food that increase blood glucose, which trigger hunger.

Glucose Dependent

Your hunger may be because you are Glucose Dependent. Your body running off glucose to a greater degree.

There is an indirect relationship to blood glucose and hunger. When blood glucose goes down (hypoglycemic), it produce hunger, a craving for glucose.

Foods that maintain blood glucose keep you from becoming hungry.

With that said, based on what you've posted, you may simply not be eating enough.

Fiber Is Overrated

There's no reputable research that has demonstrated the benefits of a high fiber diet. It is one a myth, like performing sit up to decrease the size of your waist, that continue to be perpetuated.

Drs Zoe Harcombe and Paul Mason podcast on fiber have demonstrated high fiber is a farce.

With that said, some fiber does help with gut heath.

Intermittent Fast

As Oscar noted in his post, Intermittent Fasting programs your body to be more effective controlling hunger.

With that in mind, Intermittent Fasting for most is best when you ease into it. Don't eat anything from let's say 6 pm until 6 am. Then slowly increase the fast to 8 am, then 10 am or longer.

Intermittent Fasting make you more efficient at burning body fat and being less dependent on glucose. You become a Hybrid Car, able to switch from one fuel source to another; allowing your to maintain energy levels.

Summary

1) High Protein Intake: This macro satiates the most.

2) Higher Fat Intake: This macro also satiates, secondary to protein.

Geoff Chafe posted information on this.

3) Intermittent Fasting: The body learn to be efficient at switching from glucose to ketones/body fat and vise versa, depend on your activity.

It allows you to maintain your energy level and kills hunger. There various type of Intermittent Fasting plans.

Kenny Croxdale

[I agree with your comments. But can you please elaborate

Below is information that on this.

The Real Problem With Grains, Flour, and Wheat

It’s a fact: modern grains aren’t the same as they used to be a few hundred years ago, or even a few decades ago! And the grains we consume in the U.S. aren’t the same as the grains eaten in other countries … especially when it comes to wheat.

Podcast On Fiber

These are too good podcast that expose misinformation on high fiber intake.

Dr. Zoë Harcombe - 'What about fiber?'

Dr. Paul Mason - 'From fibre to the microbiome: low carb gut health'

Kenny Croxdale

Hypoglycemia is what you have when the glucose in your body drops to very low levels. It’s a common concern for people with diabetes, but other health problems can cause it, too. They include hepatitis, kidney disorders, neuroendocrine tumors in your pancreas (insulinomas), and problems with your adrenal or pituitary glands.

How old are you?
What's your body weight/BMI?
What's your activity level - sport, gym etc.?

All this will greatly influence the answer.

What's your body weight/BMI?

BMI

This is a useless number with no real meaning.

Many athletes with a lot of muscle mass/body weight in relationship to their height have a high BMI number that places them in the the obese or extremely over obese category.

Kenny Croxdale

Drink lots of water if you haven't been doing that, your body can sometimes mistake thirst for hunger. Not the same issue as mine was waking up incredibly hungry even if I went to sleep with dinner, but found that carbs can do that to your body, so maybe take less carbs too? I do take yogurt (created with a maker instead of store bought, just personal preference though and it's not as tedious just like what this says) and lots of fruits, plus fiber in a day. I'm assuming you're not diabetic?

BMI

This is a useless number with no real meaning.

Many athletes with a lot of muscle mass/body weight in relationship to their height have a high BMI number that places them in the the obese or extremely over obese category.

No. BMI is not a useless number. It simply should be taken in an appropriate context, like EVERY other number in clinical medicine.

BMI is not a useless number. It simply should be taken in an appropriate context, like EVERY other number in clinical medicine.

BMI's Useless

In the Exercise Science Community, the BMI is considered as useless.

To clarify that statement, my background information is this area is reference on this site, "Profile Information".

Clinic Number

The BMI is not a clinical number.

The BMI number does not indicate if an individual is obese or a large muscle athlete.

ME Shape Calculator

This Chest:Waist:Hip Calculator is a simple method that provides better feed back.

Whoever said, "Your waistline is you life line", was on the money.

As per the information in this article...

"For Men. The waist to chest ratio is the "apple point". The ideal value is between .7 and .8 with .77 ..."

"For Women. The ideal is between .6 and .9 for both the waist to hip ratio (pear point) and waist to chest ratio (apple point)."

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
The guy asked for advice on his appetite. My point was that for that some background information is required. Do you reckon it wouldn't make a difference if he said his BMI is 20 or 40?

As to BMI being clinical, it is used, for example, as the cutoff for bariatric surgery. Surgery is part of clinical medicine.

No. BMI is not a useless number. It simply should be taken in an appropriate context, like EVERY other number in clinical medicine.

BMI's Useless

In the Exercise Science Community, the BMI is considered as useless.

To clarify that statement, my background information is this area is reference on this site, "Profile Information".

Clinic Number

The BMI is not a clinical number.

The BMI number does not indicate if an individual is obese or a large muscle athlete.

ME Shape Calculator

This Chest:Waist:Hip Calculator is a simple method that provides better feed back.

Whoever said, "Your waistline is you life line", was on the money.

As per the information in this article...

"For Men. The waist to chest ratio is the "apple point". The ideal value is between .7 and .8 with .77 ..."

"For Women. The ideal is between .6 and .9 for both the waist to hip ratio (pear point) and waist to chest ratio (apple point)."

Kenny Croxdale

We had an interesting discussion on BMI a while back. It turns out that many top athletes, even slender ones like Ronaldo or Ashton Eaton, or light ones like Messi, have a BMI near 24.

I think the logic behind BMI is flawed. I never so the point of it when putting a measuring tape around your waist is so easy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom