all posts post new thread

I am not smarter than Brett Jones: My SFG 2 training journal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Blake Nelson

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Last year I successfully completed my SFG 1. This year I will train to complete the level 2 certification held in Denver, CO led by Brett Jones. I have two major challenges facing me. Number one is the strength standard for the certification: I need to press a kettlebell equal to one-half of my body weight. I have pressed the 40 kg once before, but I need to do a lot of work to KNOW that I can press it when test day comes. Challenge number two is probably the tougher one: I need to stay focused. The cert is not until the end of June which means I have to “keep the goal the goal” for six whole months without getting distracted, burned out or injured.

In order to succeed I am going to follow Mr. Jones’s excellent SFG 2 Prep Program. Last summer I wrote my own training program for the SFG 1 and I wish I had been smart enough to follow his level 1 guide. He is the guy that assembled the curriculum for the cert, so he probably has a good idea of the right way to get ready.

I will be following his program as close to the letter as I can. I will not be adding any exercises, or playing with the sets and reps. I will set aside other training goals for the next six months and do what I am told with the following exceptions: The program calls for training on Sundays, which are my only day off from work. I will train Monday-Saturday for the first three months so I can spend more time at home with my wife. I will switch over to the recommended schedule with plenty of time to acclimate.

In order to stay disciplined, I will post a daily training journal on this site.

Week 1, Day 1

Movement prep: head nods and armbars

3 supersets: a) TGU @ 24 kg.1+1 b) Bottom-up KB press @ 12 kg 1+1

3 Press ladders of 1+1 to 5+5 @ 20 kg, 22 kg, 20 kg

Notes:
Everything felt great today, I had a great night’s sleep and a restful day off yesterday. I am starting off conservative on the weight and volume but feel confident. Next week I will plan to press 4 ladders at 20, 22, 20, 20.

The only thing holding me back today was a still-healing cut on my right hand. It is keeping me from really squeezing the handle of the bell. It should be better soon, though.

The original training program can be found here: Brett Jones’s SFG 2 Prep Guide

Week 1, Day 2

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Movement prep: Head nods and OS rolls

2 Supersets: a) TGU @ 24 kg 2+2 b) Single-leg deadlift @ 24 kg 5+5

4 Sets of one-hand kettlebell swings @ 28 kg 15+15,

5-6 minutes rest between sets

Walk + Fast and Loose until my heart rate returns to normal, then a modified Snow Leopard until ready to go again.

Notes:
Today felt good. I ate well yesterday and had a decent night of sleep. The long sets of swings felt..long and it took a while for my heart rate to normalize. I’ll try 5 sets next week with the 28 kg bell and I’ll be patient about going up to the 32 kg. Maybe I’ll try adding one set at a time.

Week 1, Day 3

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Active recovery day: Foam roll t-spine and hamstrings. Roughly 6-mile walking commute round trip.

Notes:
Felt a little tight today. Hamstrings are feeling yesterday’s swings. Good night of sleep last night and only mild stress.

Week 1, Day 4
Thursday, January 9, 2020

Movement prep: rocking, arm-bars, band pull-aparts
3 Supersets: a) TGU @ 24 kg 1+1 b) Bottom-up press @ 12 kg 1+1

Press:
warm-up - 16 kg x 3, 20 kg x 2, 24 kg x 1
28 kg 4x2

Windmill @ 24 kg 3+3
Bent press practice @ 24 kg

Notes:
Ate great, good sleep, feeling well recovered. I had to rush through my session a little too fast. Next week I’ll take my time and get more practice in on windmills and bent presses.

Week 1, Day 5
Friday, January 10, 2020

Movement prep: Segmental rolls, rocking, and t-spine rotations
TGU @ 16 kg 1+1
Windmill @ 16 kg 1+1

Snatch 16 kg 4+4 every minute on the minute (emom) for 16 minutes

Then: 3 rounds double kettlebell circuit with 20 kg. 30-45 seconds between movements, 2-3 minutes between circuits.

TGU 1+1
Swing x10
Press x5
Squat x5
Clean x5

Finished off with some Brettzells v.1 and v.2

Notes: I had my best night of sleep in a couple of weeks last night and I ate well, too. Stress is low, but work is busy with New Years’ clients. Next week I’ll move the snatches up to 20 kg for the same sets and reps. 20 kg felt good for the circuit for another week.

Week 1, Day 6

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Movement prep: Snow leopard x2

Double kettlebell circuit @ 24 kg, sets of 5 except TGUs 1+1

2 rounds: Press, TGU, Push-press, Squat, Jerk, Swing, Press, Snatch, Push-press

Active rest 10 minutes

1 round: Squat, TGU, Swing, Squat, Press, Squat, Swing, Push-press, Snatch, Jerk

15-30 seconds rest between movements. 2-3 minutes rest between circuits.

Notes: Ate ok yesterday, Slept great. I will shoot for two rounds of both circuits next week.

Week 1, Day 7

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Rest and recovery. Food prep for the week. Early to bed.

Week 2, Day 1

Monday, January 13, 2020

Movement prep: Nods, rocking, rolls, and band pull-aparts.

Superset: 3 rounds: a) TGU @ 24 kg 1+1 b) Bottom-up press @ 14 kg 1+1

1 KB Press: Ladders of 1+1 to 5+5 @ 16, 20, 22, 20, 20, 20 kg.

Notes: Lots of rest yesterday. Good stress from deep cleaning the apartment. Next week I will press 20, 22, 20, 22, 20 kg.

Week 2, Day 2
Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Movement Prep: OS resets

5 Sets of one-hand kettlebell swings @ 28 kg 15+15,
5-6 minutes rest between sets
Walk + Fast and Loose until my heart rate returns to normal, then a modified Snow Leopard until ready to go again​

Notes: Poor sleep last night, resting heart rate slightly elevated. Swings felt tougher than last week. I will alternate between 4 and 5 sets over the next several weeks until it feels comfortable.

Week 2, Day 3
Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Rest and recovery day. Lots of walking in the sunshine and fresh air. I’ve got pork chops, mushrooms, and homemade sourdough to look forward to for dinner tonight!

Week 2, Day 4
Thursday, January 16, 2020
Movement prep: nods, rocking, t-spine rotations, band pull-aparts
3 Supersets: a) TGU @ 28 kg 1+1 b) Bottom-up press @ 14 kg 1+1

Press:
warm-up - 16 kg x 3+3, 20 kg x 2+2, 24 kg x 1+1
28 kg 2+2, 1+1, 3+3, 2+2 with 3:00-5:00 between sets

Windmill @ 24 kg 3+3
Bent press practice @ 24 kg x 3+3, 28 kg x 2+2, 32 kg x 1+1

Notes: Feeling rested after the day off. Presses are moving well and bent press feels solid. Next week I’ll press 28 kg x 3+3, 2+2, 3+3.

Blake

Week 2, Day 5
Friday, January 17, 2020
Movement Prep: nods, rocking, t-spine rotations, rolling
TGU @ 16 kg 1+1
Windmill @ 16 kg 1+1
Snatch 20 kg 4+4 emom for 16 minutes
Then: 3 rounds double kettlebell circuit with 20 kg. 30-45 seconds between movements, 2-3 minutes between circuits.
TGU 1+1
Swing x10
Press x5
Squat x5
Clean x5
Finished with 2 rounds of Snow Leopard, then a 2.5-mile easy bike ride.
Notes: Felt strong and recovered today. Very hungry after this session! Next week I’ll snatch 24 kg for the same sets and reps. I’ll stick with the 20 kg for the circuit next week and then probably go up to the 24 kg after that.
Blake Nelson

Week 2, Day 6
Saturday, January 18, 2020

Movement prep: band dislocates and head nods

Double kettlebell circuit @ 16kg, sets of 3 except TGUs 1+1
1 round: Press, TGU, Push-press, Squat, Jerk, Swing, Press, Snatch, Push-press
Active rest 10 minutes
1 round: Squat, TGU, Swing, Squat, Press, Squat, Swing, Push-press, Snatch, Jerk
15-30 seconds rest between movements. 2-3 minutes rest between circuits.

Notes: Feeling tired and unmotivated today. This was a total “punch the clock” session for me. Next week I’ll get back to the 24 kg for sets of 5.

Blake Nelson

Week 2, Day 7
Sunday, January 19, 2020
Rest and recovery day. Food prep for the week: sourdough, yogurt, black bean chicken chili, etc. Maximum relaxation in the PM.

Week 3, Day 1
Monday, January 20, 2020
Movement prep: Nods, elevated rocking, t-spine rotations.
Superset: 3 rounds: a) TGU @ 28 kg 1+1 b) Bottom-up press @ 14 kg 1+1
1 KB Press: Ladders of 1+1 to 5+5 @ 16, 20, 22, 20, 22, 20 kg.
Notes: Last week left me feeling stiff and sore by the end. This week I’ll work on staying loose during the day post-training. Next week I will press 22, 20, 22, 20, 22 kg.
Blake Nelson

Week 3, Day 2
Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Movement Prep: OS resets plus t-spine rotations

4 Sets of one-hand kettlebell swings @ 28 kg 15+15,
5 minutes rest between sets​
Walk + Fast and Loose until time for the next round.​

Notes: I had a great night of sleep last night and felt super refreshed when I woke up. I wasn’t able to get my session this morning, so I had to fit it in this afternoon. My motivation was waaaay down, but the swings felt good. I really felt it in my lats, grip and hip power were solid. Next week I’ll do 5 sets of swings at 28 kg.

Blake Nelson

Week 3, Day 3
Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Rest and recovery day. In addition to walking and good food, I’m going to throw in some soft tissue and mobility work in between clients today, focusing on hips and lats.

Blake Nelson

Week 3, Day 4
Thursday, January 23, 2020

Movement prep: nods, rocking, arm-bars > bent arm-bars @ 12 kg
3 Supersets: a) TGU @ 28 kg 1+1 b) Bottom-up press @ 12 kg 1+1
Press:
Warm-up - 16 kg x 3+3, 20 kg x 2+2, 24 kg x 1+1
28 kg 3+3, 2+2, 3+3 with 5:00 between sets

Windmill @ 24 kg 3+3
Bent press practice @ 24 kg x 3+3, 28 kg x 2+2, 32 kg x 1+1

Notes: Feeling strong today, left shoulder is getting back to normal. Next week I’ll press 2, 2, 2, 3 @ 28 kg.

Blake Nelson

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom