all posts post new thread

Kettlebell I bought S&S and ETK - Which Should I Do First?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Another common question - should I start with ETK or S&S?

-S-

I would start with S&S. The ETK book also starts with a program minimum. S&S is the newer version of the program minimum of ETK.

@Jan, I agree. A related question would be simply, "I want to start kettlebell training; should I start with S&S?"

-S-

Reactions: Jan
Hello,

It depends on the goals: strength only ? conditioning only ? GPP ?

As a general rule, I would start for S&S due to its simplicity and its completeness (GPP so strength and conditioning). A program based on a few moves is easier to consider because we can specialize on only a few techniques. We do not spread ourselves?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

It depends on the goals: strength only ? conditioning only ? GPP ?

As a general rule, I would start for S&S due to its simplicity and its completeness (GPP so strength and conditioning). A program based on a few moves is easier to consider because we can specialize on only a few techniques. We do not spread ourselves?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I agree. S&S had a lot of carryover (for me) to general strength, and there's no way I could handle Rite of Passage without having conquered Simple first. I feel like the truly noticeable shift for me was when I hit the Simple targets-that seemed to be when all the pieces came together as far as carryover strength and endurance.

Also, I shoveled like a demon yesterday and am not sore today.

S&S first.
Ideally up to the Simple goal before you switch to ETK.
If you can't stay on it until Simple (for whatever reason), please at least hit the time standards with the 24 first before you switch.

I started with S&S. I found S&S to be an easy way to build core and shoulder strength and improve my technique with the KB. Once I achieved the Simple goals I started ETK. From the foundation of S&S I felt good on the presses and it made learning snatches easier. I completed ETK with 24 kg, so now I am starting to repeat S&S with a 40 Kg KB. After I complete S&S with 40 Kg, I will go back to ETK with 32 Kg. I find S&S a systematic and controlled way of increasing KB weight with less risk of pushing too hard and injury.

I don't understand the appeal of ETK over S&S unless it's a case of lacking heavier kettlebells - but it isn't like you can't buy the next weight up, since they're for sale even on this site. ETK is more fun than S&S, but working out with a 24 instead of a 40 seems to me like weight lifting blasphemy. :)

Another neat question to post and answer is: what are the various SF programmes and which one is right for me?

I don't understand the appeal of ETK over S&S unless it's a case of lacking heavier kettlebells - but it isn't like you can't buy the next weight up, since they're for sale even on this site. ETK is more fun than S&S, but working out with a 24 instead of a 40 seems to me like weight lifting blasphemy. :)

Another neat question to post and answer is: what are the various SF programmes and which one is right for me?

I think when people are discussing ETK, they're specifically talking about Rite of Passage, which is a bit different than S&S. Personally I am enjoying the focus on pressing (and have been pairing it with bodyweight rows) and I am noticing a huge difference in just a few weeks. I am also a 35 y/o female, and I know that my bet at strength is through volume (as I have learned from experience), so RoP is a good fit for me.

I think when people are discussing ETK, they're specifically talking about Rite of Passage, which is a bit different than S&S. Personally I am enjoying the focus on pressing (and have been pairing it with bodyweight rows) and I am noticing a huge difference in just a few weeks. I am also a 35 y/o female, and I know that my bet at strength is through volume (as I have learned from experience), so RoP is a good fit for me.
You're inspiring me to overkill a bit and add in clean and presses to my daily workouts.

...And I consider kettlebell presses now a staple part of my strength training. Maybe the best "bang for buck" move I have available to me and where the buck includes my own efforts (presses are easier to do than deadlifts for example.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom