all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed I can't squat and would like help designing a program.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Localeccentric

First Post
Greetings,

I just found out about Pavel from Tim Ferris' podcast, and I must say, I really like his training philosophy of building yourself up, instead of tearing yourself down every session.

Unfortunately, before discovering Pavel I was doing a 20 rep squat program, as in, 20 reps per set, followed by some vigorous bicycling for cardio, which has given me a pretty good case of quadriceps tendinitis. Squatting of any kind is pretty much off the table for me now, which is unfortunate because I really liked the look of Alexander Faleev's routine, the simple 5x5 of squat, deadlift, and bench, no more, no less.

My goals in general are to get stronger and in better shape. I'm doing cardio between 60-70% max heart rate for conditioning as well - jogging, which doesn't cause me any pain. I can do pretty much everything but squats. Surprisingly lunging movements haven't been bad for me. I can deadlift, bench, do turkish get ups, kettlebell swings, and obviously all the upper body only stuff.

So I was just wondering if someone could help me devise a good strength program, one in line with Pavel's principles that doesn't have any squatting in it? I'd very much appreciate the help. I was thinking a routine centered around deadlifts and turkish get ups, but I'm not sure how to devise such a routine. (I know the deadlifts should be 5x5 and what not, but I'm not sure on rep ranges and frequency with the get ups)

Also, any advice on quadriceps tendinitis if anyone has any would be really appreciated. I've tried giving this thing 4 weeks of rest and it hasn't seemed to have healed at all. I can't go on inactive; it drives me nuts; so I think to heal I'm going to have to devise a routine that allows for healing. I've started stretching since listening to Pavel too, which seems to have helped a bit.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance!

Regards!

It is my honor to have been mentioned by Pavel in that podcast.

Please don't do "vigorous bicycling for cardio" - keep your cardio easy.

You are all set to embark on Kettlebell Simple & Sinister.

You could deadlift. We have deadlift programs such as Power To The People! and also those in Deadlift Dynamite, not to mention things in Beyond Bodybuilding and Power To The People Professional. You don't need to devise a routine - follow a proven one.

I can't go on inactive; it drives me nuts;
If you don't get better, you'll be even less active - make getting better priority #1.

-S-

@MattM, I believe that most people get more inflammation than benefit from the "cardio" they do. The temptation to push it hard is difficult to resist.

I can offer only my personal opinion based on my personal experience here, but unless I have to, I train for strength and I walk, the latter with my pulse rate around 95 bpm the few times I've stopped to check it. (My resting pulse, midday and seated for a few minutes, is about 55.) I have not found any need for anything more vigorous, and I have found tremendous benefit to being strong.

Balance - strength training is hard work, and when I walk, I want to be on the other side of things, taking it easy, focusing on relaxation, and on moving easily, gracefully, and without restrictions.

If strength training and easy cardio gives me everything I could possibly ask for, why do more?

-S-

@Steve Freides Thanks! I was just curious because the past couple of years I have taken a liking to cycling. Moderately hard, not looking to go pro. I didn't know if there was something about cycling in general that you thought was bad. I think I've read you say that you used to do it a lot.

But I agree about cardio. Every time I see someone "jogging" that looks like death and can barely move I want to donate a kettlebell to them.

Cycling tends to round the lower back, and I've found it impossible to lift after cycling - I hurt my back and have to wait for the next day. So, if your back is bothered by lumbar flexion, I don't think it's a great choice as a regular form of exercise. I still ride once in a while, but not more than that. I miss being on the bike, truth be told, but sometimes you have to make a choice and I've chosen a healthy back.

-S-

Thank you kindly, Steve. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. A proven program is definitely what I need, which was why I was so excited to embark on Faleev's program.

Thank you kindly, Steve. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. A proven program is definitely what I need, which was why I was so excited to embark on Faleev's program.
If swings and getups are restorative for you, follow S&S at least until you're healed.

-S-

Take Steve's suggestion- S&S would be great to get you in excellent general shape while allowing for healing. I've had a lot of aches and pains and stiff joints resolve while doing it. I'd also suggest you direct your obvious intensity to consistency over a longer time and following program details rather than overexertion. You'll make much more progress that way. I ride my road bike with a pretty flat back, but it's very hard to get used to that and takes a proper setup for it. I still would never ride after squatting! Once the kettle's boiling, hard to go back to a simmer.

Also, any advice on quadriceps tendinitis if anyone has any would be really appreciated. I've tried giving this thing 4 weeks of rest and it hasn't seemed to have healed at all.

Just coming off of 2 weeks of NOTHING...with some tendinitis in my lower back..

Frustrating as all hell.....but the first 3 days I was unable to walk.
Literally
Valium and Flamar to relax the muscles...
Total Rest...no light work, no driving, no playing with JR

Couch and bed.

That ADDITIONAL 2 weeks was ACTUALLY caused by me rushing back into SAnd S even though my back was still sore from the original (less serious)case of tendinitis.
I did not practice the PATIENCE...aspect of this SF ethos.

I was constantly Aggravating it..just by normal activity..and the S&S 100 swings prolly wasn't a good idea so soon.

I've just started stretching lightly....and seeing how it feels after.

So take Mr Friedes advice....pick a priority....there can be only one.

Once you're healed up..rebuild/retool/ redesign to make you less likely to repeat the injury.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom