all posts post new thread

Kettlebell I failed a Turkish Get Up and broke my wrist

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If it’s the type used for fall protection on construction sites then it will be self reeling and these things are OSHA rated. There is no doubt to the ‘trustworthiness’ of the unit.
I see no reason at all why it wouldn’t work (under the right rigging circumstances)
About $140.00 USD

There's a difference between the trustworthiness of the unit, and the trustworthiness of my usage of the unit.

TGUs are dangerous if not done properly, start to finish -- I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on that. To try to remove that danger with an external device seems a false security to me.

Has anyone tried to use a fall limiter as a spotter for the TGU? I'm not 100% sure this would work, its just a thought at the moment. I train in my garage and have roofing trusses i could attach the limiter to. My idea would be to fix the limter to the trusses and then use some para cord to attach the kettlebell to limiter, if the lift fails the limiter would kick in and stop the bell from falling. Has anyone tried this? Silly idea?

It looks awkward and can be distracting... probably I would use it once or twice then throw it in a corner.

A better approach, I think, is to get an inexpensive sandbag and use it as a kettlebell with the center handle. Has the advantage of incrementally going through learner weights without spending a lot of money. It is also friendlier to your face if/when they meet.

I just ordered a $50 Rep Fitness sandbag that can hold up to 28K to experiment with. If it works well, I'll go this route exclusively beyond 24K, held as a kettlebell or draped over the shoulder.

There's a difference between the trustworthiness of the unit, and the trustworthiness of my usage of the unit.

TGUs are dangerous if not done properly, start to finish -- I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on that. To try to remove that danger with an external device seems a false security to me.
I don’t disagree with that at all. We all have our own personal risk-reward tipping points.
I wouldn’t use such a unit myself, I was merely commenting on the engineering aspect of it.

And many things in life are dangerous if not done properly from start to finish...

First of all I wish you'll be well soon and you will complete even Sinister.-
Also thank you for sharing your story because it is really good for all of us to remind ourselves to be always concentrate and careful during such activities.
Being injured myself on my AC joint area the last couple of months and not being able to train in S&S, I would be also very interested to some recommendations for training while injured. Maybe it would be better if you create a separate post.
One more thing: Might there be some "escape" moves or some let's say more proper reaction in order to avoid such accidents in TGU? Maybe some of the most experienced members could advise...

Bent presses seem like a really bad idea. TGUs are a questionable risk vs reward, and the bent press seems (to me) even more technical and risky. Fundamental movements -- they don't tie you in a knot with a large weight over your head.
Bent press training starts with arm bars, one the floor, with 8kg or even 4kg. It is safe, only if someone does not start with too much weight to early, the whole movement.

Sandbag getups over the shoulder provide 90% of the benefit with near zero risk. The specificity of maintaining a vertical arm throughout is of questionable day to day utility and what makes this lift sketchy both for form failure or slipped footing. YMMV
maybe this is to do with how much lower a rung i'm starting off from but my shoulders and triceps do a fair bit of work keeping that weight stable and overhead.

Sandbag getups over the shoulder provide 90% of the benefit with near zero risk. The specificity of maintaining a vertical arm throughout is of questionable day to day utility and what makes this lift sketchy both for form failure or slipped footing. YMMV
How does it work the shoulders?

The way I used to do them was from the standing position lift the sandbag over my head to the other shoulder and descend on that side. Alternating each rep. Shoulders got ‘some’ work in that way...

I contend TGU doesn't work the shoulders enough to justify.

If hitting the shoulders concurrently is a concern, run the bag across chest and out about even with upper bicep so you have to exert lateral effort to keep it up there. Your delts and traps will be screaming.

To me, the stabilizing effect on supporting shoulder musculature is just not that potent, and limits the weight you can use. Also, being technique dependent the ability to track the load over the body with vertical arm actually reduces resistance on the anterior chain during roll to elbow.

They are not interchangable, but the sandbag GU is a good alternative in the scheme of things

I contend TGU doesn't work the shoulders enough to justify.

If hitting the shoulders concurrently is a concern, run the bag across chest and out about even with upper bicep so you have to exert lateral effort to keep it up there. Your delts and traps will be screaming.

To me, the stabilizing effect on supporting shoulder musculature is just not that potent, and limits the weight you can use. Also, being technique dependent the ability to track the load over the body with vertical arm actually reduces resistance on the anterior chain during roll to elbow.

They are not interchangable, but the sandbag GU is a good alternative in the scheme of things

I find extending the arm in the TGU a good loaded multiplane mobility drill for the shoulders. This push drill can be complemented nicely by the pull drill from mace/club swings.

But yeah, I don't see why I need to load either beyond 20-24K.

I find extending the arm in the TGU a good loaded multiplane mobility drill for the shoulders. This push drill can be complemented nicely by the pull drill from mace/club swings.

But yeah, I don't see why I need to load either beyond 20-24K.

I agree with this as a mobility drill. Realistically you get nearly the same benefit from a windmill and you can load it heavier.

Good reasons to do windmill, but I would not recommend it as a shoulder exercise.

As i said, just a thought at the moment. I'm closing in on timeless simple and would like to continue (in the long term) onto the sinister goal. That being said i have some healthy worries about having a 48kg bell overhead with no spotter. Accidents can and will happen, and it might be nice to have some redundancy in place, but yes good technique and keeping ones ego in check will go a long way. :)

Last edited:
I agree with this as a mobility drill. Realistically you get nearly the same benefit from a windmill and you can load it heavier.

Good reasons to do windmill, but I would not recommend it as a shoulder exercise.

Now that you mentioned it, my sticking point with the getup is at the hinge, especially coming down from half kneeling after the leg sweep.
I think I'll try light/naked windmills as part of my warmup and see how it goes.

Hopefully, it will accelerate my progress in correcting my upper cross syndrome.

Just want to throw on here - I love heavy TGUs, and I firmly do not believe that there's a particular weight where it stops being "safe" for everyone. Heavy TGUs build durability.

But, with that said, I also believe that, if you think you need a spotter or some protective rigging... then just don't do it. The TGU is not the place to test yourself.

Heavy TGUs build durability.

Absolutely!! I've said for years that heavy getups just seem to be a "toughener."

if you think you need a spotter or some protective rigging... then just don't do it. The TGU is not the place to test yourself.

Could not agree more. Different strokes for different folks. Windmills just don't do it for me, others love them. I like heavy getups and will do them. That said, I got my only 48kg getup last summer. I can't see myself ever going above 40kg again if even that high.

Of course, heavy is relative. Brett Jones can probably do a 48kg getup while brushing his teeth.....

Bent presses seem like a really bad idea. TGUs are a questionable risk vs reward, and the bent press seems (to me) even more technical and risky. Fundamental movements -- they don't tie you in a knot with a large weight over your head.

I actually feel much safer with bent presses, because I'm on my feet, which makes it easier to chuck the weight or dodge.

I'm accustomed to that from having to bail on barbell snatches and jerks overhead.

I was re reading S&S 2.0 . on a related note. I'll be keeping all of this in mind as i start up with the 32kg.

View attachment 11121

Just got to this passage yesterday. I don't know if this was also in the 1st edition, but if it was I forgot it.
Certainly worth remembering as I'm in the process if working on partial TGUs the 32kg at the moment. Only hit the transition up to the tall sit today, so might be a while before it's an issue but I'll certainly make not if this for when i do make it to standing.

Excellent discussions everyone..

A few insights..

Once you have gotten enough quality and mindful reps in for getups, you will know more or less if the rep will go or not..

Do getups slowly that each step takes 3-5 seconds even if merely up to standing and then go at a regular pace on the way down, you may be shocked at the amount of work it puts on the upper body

Excellent discussions everyone..

A few insights..

Once you have gotten enough quality and mindful reps in for getups, you will know more or less if the rep will go or not..

Do getups slowly that each step takes 3-5 seconds even if merely up to standing and then go at a regular pace on the way down, you may be shocked at the amount of work it puts on the upper body

I usually go even slower, 5-10 breaths per step, so I can practice diaphragmatic breathing in a tensed core state.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom