all posts post new thread

Kettlebell I failed a Turkish Get Up and broke my wrist

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I concur. I like TGUs more for the cross body core work than shoulder focus.

For contrast, try a KB Sots press.

Tell me which you think works shoulder mobility more at a given weight.
I guess you guy's can speak for yourself. But if you go heavy enough, often enough, it will pay off for your shoulders.
My shoulders blew up way more and feel way better from heavy TGU's than from any pressing (bench or military). These days I'm using moderate weight TGU for cool-down on snatching sessions. My shoulders recover way better when I do them, from when I don't.

I get the fact that a lot of guys don't have the heart to do them, or have some fears over them, and that's OK. But, to say they aren't capable of building your shoulders is inaccurate.

I guess you guy's can speak for yourself. But if you go heavy enough, often enough, it will pay off for your shoulders.
My shoulders blew up way more and feel way better from heavy TGU's than from any pressing (bench or military). These days I'm using moderate weight TGU for cool-down on snatching sessions. My shoulders recover way better when I do them, from when I don't.

I get the fact that a lot of guys don't have the heart to do them, or have some fears over them, and that's OK. But, to say they aren't capable of building your shoulders is inaccurate.
Climbers often have weaker shoulders because they are focusing on other things. This leads them to shoulder injuries typically on steep and overhanging routes. (I have had funky shoulders and surgery) Doing TGU’s have certainly strengthened my shoulders and made them far more robust. Cannonballs? Hardly... Way stronger...? Without any doubt...!

I concur. I like TGUs more for the cross body core work than shoulder focus.

For contrast, try a KB Sots press.

Tell me which you think works shoulder mobility more at a given weight.

Hmmm...I never knew sots was a thing!

I'm still unable to squat with overhead weight. Now that I have gone through a few weeks of primal squatting practice and able to stay there unassisted, I think I'll try this press, maybe with an Arnold press variation at the beginning.

My shoulders blew up way more and feel way better from heavy TGU's than from any pressing (bench or military).

I think it depends a lot on the person and what other training you're doing.

My regular block jerk practice drill is 80-100 kg, with 'hold drills' lasting as long as 30 seconds. Heavy is 110-120 kg.

Plus a split stance.

The isometric hold of the TGU isn't really adding anything to my shoulders that I'm not already getting elsewhere.

I would think a person would choose a weight they can comfortably handle without fear of damage, and get a spot by someone who knows what they are doing when pushing limits. I'm guessing the percentage of people breaking bones during this lift is tiny.

Respect.

Sots with a 24 are no joke.
FYI, 24 as in singular, I don't think I can do doubles. clean one 24, do a ATG squat,press to lockout and stand up, drop back down with arm extended, lower to rack, press, stand up. Switch hands, repeat. Sometimes after standing up I will lower to rack before squatting.

You're right... I should start with basic moves.

Could you please critique my deadlift stance?

View attachment 11187
Looks pretty good, but before adding load you should practice some back to wall hinges. Use the rep scheme for 8RM from FPP and do for 12 weeks instead of 4 before adding load. In the meantime do 30 mins . a day of index finger mobility/flexibility/strengthening and fascia release so you will be good to go in 3 months. Power To You!

Also, probably a good idea to wear a HR monitor during hinges, keep under 180-age -5, and avoid hydrogen ions.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom