all posts post new thread

Kettlebell I failed a Turkish Get Up and broke my wrist

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That's why I like it too.

Weighted yoga.
That’s it.

Somehow in this thread we don’t get to see many mentions that people simply enjoy get ups. Personally the heavier it is the more I enjoy it.

As for building other lifts with TGU, I don’t think Pavel ever referred it to it as a press builder. He does refer to teaching one how to strain, build complete tension and also ab activation (per Contreras’s study).

TGU and KB won’t replace you a barbell. But barbell is not a pocket tool.

Aaron17, As an instructor , what are your thoughts on using heavier bells for snatches and get-ups in regards to preparing for the SFG very?Any particular programming / plan you would recommend?

Hi there,

I rate this strategy very highly. The important thing to remember is that the SFG weekend is very long and when you are asked to display your skills you will be at your most tired. The folks that struggle are those that don't have much of a strength reserve. By this I mean that their testing weights are too close to their max.

I got given a snatch protocol designed by Ryan T (I think) which had me snatching with the 28kg in the lead up to the SFG. Ben Bradbury (StrongFirst Elite) gave it to me and it worked a charm!

Aside from that I made sure I could do all the SFG skills for the prescribed reps with 32 or double 32s but no particular programming for this. Just daily practice.

Hi. I've followed this thread with interest, but now I have a question that I'm hoping somebody could shed some knowledge on .
Why can't the TGU be a press builder? Surely after each movement this presents an ideal opportunity to stick a press in if you want to? Both on the way up, and on the way down? I might be missing something but I tried it tonight, once on the left and once on the right. Total time for one side was approaching a minute thirty. (32kg) I'll be honest, I couldn't manage another L/R combo like that, but I don't consider myself to be kettlebell conditioned, (closing in on timeless simple with the 32 with only other experience the Dan John 10K challenge) but I enjoyed the extra dimension and think I'll incorporate it in, and I think continue to add reps when I can. Yes it may slow my timed simple ambitions, but I know I'll get there, RoP is my next program so I feel I'm getting 'ahead of the game' somewhat.

Hi. I've followed this thread with interest, but now I have a question that I'm hoping somebody could shed some knowledge on .
Why can't the TGU be a press builder? Surely after each movement this presents an ideal opportunity to stick a press in if you want to? Both on the way up, and on the way down? I might be missing something but I tried it tonight, once on the left and once on the right. Total time for one side was approaching a minute thirty. (32kg) I'll be honest, I couldn't manage another L/R combo like that, but I don't consider myself to be kettlebell conditioned, (closing in on timeless simple with the 32 with only other experience the Dan John 10K challenge) but I enjoyed the extra dimension and think I'll incorporate it in, and I think continue to add reps when I can. Yes it may slow my timed simple ambitions, but I know I'll get there, RoP is my next program so I feel I'm getting 'ahead of the game' somewhat.
@Lotto , definitely a press builder in that format. Eleven presses a side with a 32 in :90, guessing that will work.

Floor presses, bent presses, overhead presses AND getups... all in one session!

Who needs ROP?

But barbell is not a pocket tool.

Mine is

dI_abggAUlFyWbQJ_txYhgmFIonjip9NTGmVEczY0Kq9yVrC--XLKvtSdOoSjkFX9op1-4blfTz8LtAoQI9iQE-s42UWZBGc9Bi_yZE

@Don Fairbanks and @barrak.
As expected I'm feeling the effects of incorporating a press into my TGU yesterday. Enough that in this mornings SS practice I didn't add any in. Just didn't feel the strength was there to execute with good form.
I thoroughly enjoyed the added challenge and dimension yesterday, enough that I want to incorporate it into my SS practice. My aim would be to become proficient in another KB movement as I only practice 2 at the moment, prepare myself for RoP and that's about it.
My question is, one press at every step of the TGU (with the 32) won't allow me to do it every SS practice at the moment, how best would I incorporate it to get the 'best bang for buck'?
On 2H swing days do a press at every stage?
Every SS do only on way up?
Every SS do only on way down?
Do one at each phase of the GU on each set?
Or any other combination that would suit my aim?
I'm thinking 5 presses in total for each arm is where I am at physically to enable me to add in every SS practice. Thanks.

Last edited:
@Don Fairbanks and @barrak.
As expected I'm feeling the effects of incorporating a press into my TGU yesterday. Enough that in this mornings SS practice I didn't add any in. Just didn't feel the strength was there to execute with good form.
I thoroughly enjoyed the added challenge and dimension yesterday, enough that I want to incorporate it into my SS practice. My aim would be to become proficient in another KB movement as I only practice 2 at the moment, prepare myself for RoP and that's about it.
My question is, one press at every step of the TGU (with the 32) won't allow me to do it every SS practice at the moment, how best would I incorporate it to get the 'best bang for buck'?
On 2H swing days do a press at every stage?
Every SS do only on way up?
Every SS do only on way down?
Do one at each phase of the GU on each set?
Or any other combination that would suit my aim?
I'm thinking 5 presses in total for each arm is where I am at physically to enable me to add in every SS practice. Thanks.

A press at every getup stage, up and down, translates to something like 30-40 presses per side total. That's in the neighborhood of ROP press volume.

ROP would have you do such volume only on heavy days of the 3 days per week training; Heavy, Medium, Light. That should give you some programming ideas.

As for myself, it happens that this coming Tuesday I was supposed to start incorporating 32K getups/40K swings. I have already resolved to switch to sandbag getups moving forward in weight.

However, you are encouraging me to ditch the simultaneous S+T press protocol I'm on now and see if I can manage the following:

1. Do two getup sessions back to back (20 getups total)
2. First session: regress back to 16K or even 12K kettlebell with a press at every stage
3. Second session: 32K sandbag getups

@Lotto , my thoughts on your question and what I would experiment with:
If you are doing S&S 3 x's a week, 1 of the GU sessions I would work in the pressing GU, 5 or 6 presses a side with a 12 or 16 to start.
One day a week, heavy KB press, cln then press and set down, shake it out, repeat other arm, plenty of rest, work in some cln press-press if you feel like it. Stop before smoked, last press for each side should be powerful. One day a week GU's only, with a 24, 1 on the :45 for 10 total, 1 on the :30 for 10 total, rest for remainder of the minute plus 1 minute then 5 consecutive ( safely,be smart) GU's a side for 10.

Your Multipurpose Strength Tool (aka the Get-up) | StrongFirst 10 GU's = 50 or 60 presses. Plenty.

It's really a physics problem.

As a total body load, 40 kg isn't that heavy when compared to barbells. That's basically an empty barbell + 2 x 10 kg plates.

So in order to make a 40 kg KB "hard" as a grind, you have to get into a lot of "difficult leverage" positions.

If you have access to a barbell, you have options that are more scalable, less technical, and probably less risky lifts than trying to use a 40 kg KB to do TGUs in difficult leverage positions to get equivalent loading.

Unless you just want to get good at heavy TGUs for their own sake.
I find, and I know others do, too, the getup magical at restoring functionality to high-mileage shoulders.

One cue I'll venture to say is underused is imagining an energy source at the elbow of the bearing arm, pressing up into the weight and down into the shoulder. I think it's all too easy to treat the weight overhead as some sort of balancing act rather than an act of stabilizing strength.

-S-

I find, and I know others do, too, the getup magical at restoring functionality to high-mileage shoulders.

One cue I'll venture to say is underused is imagining an energy source at the elbow of the bearing arm, pressing up into the weight and down into the shoulder. I think it's all too easy to treat the weight overhead as some sort of balancing act rather than an act of stabilizing strength.

-S-

Oh, I agree.

But I don't think you need to go super heavy to get that restorative effect.

Almost failed mine yesterday.... Been working on reverse TGU, with the 55lbs, and it was going good.. Lost my balance but i still guided the kettlebell down.. That being said, I felt a tiny pop in my shoulder... It doesn't really hurt, just aches a little..

I consider my self very lucky and, I'm going to now somehow mount 3lbs weight plates to the 35lbser, to bridge the gap.. Once I get to my 32kg kettle bell, i'm not going any higher.

Training the TGU can make one more resistant to injury but one has to learn to safely make it through points in training where one could increase their risk of injury. Learning to hold up a heavy kettlebell like one's arm is a solid tree trunk is a powerful thing and can allow strong get ups, but one doesn't want to do such a get up if one's arm is not a tree trunk but a wet noodle.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom