all posts post new thread

Nutrition I feel like a blimp...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Most of the research that's been done on this supports the idea that eating foods that support a healthy human will also support a healthy gut biome. People have exhibited what we think is a healthy gut biome on a variety of dietary practices, from high fiber to zero fiber, and people generally exhibit a "better" gut biome within a few months of making dietary changes that help them improve other markers of health. The common denominator is that healthy people tend to have healthy gut biomes. My opinion is that pursuing health by improving your gut biome is putting the cart before the horse. Nothing wrong with taking in some fermented foods or whatever, but putting sauerkraut on some ice cream isn't going to help anyone. Least of all the ice cream.

The exception would be people who have absolutely wrecked their gut with infections or medication, like lots of antibiotics. In that case, pursuing a healthy gut biome as a goal unto itself may be completely appropriate.
Ahh that makes a lot of sense. That seems to sound like a trend lot of the recent obesity research showing benefits that were thought to be an effect of a specific diet are more a result of fat loss in general. Where the mechanism is simpler than what was initially assumed by early research.
Thanks for the reply.

But.
As someone who grew up in a very German area of Wisconsin I do take offense to your distain towards sauerkraut ice cream.

That seems to sound like a trend lot of the recent obesity research showing benefits that were thought to be an effect of a specific diet are more a result of fat loss in general. Where the mechanism is simpler than what was initially assumed by early research.
Thanks for the reply.
Good comparison. If multiple markers are all moving in the right direction, then you're probably doing something right.

As someone who grew up in a very German area of Wisconsin I do take offense to your distain towards sauerkraut ice cream.
Duly noted ;)

Is there a concern about the lack of fiber and research on low fiber diets and it's impact on the gut biome diversity (and all the metabolic conditions associated with that)?
Dr Paul Mason Evidence On Fibre Intake

Based on Dr Paul Mason's finding there some of the dogma regarding fibre intake is based more on conjecture than science.

While intake of some fibre does appear good for the gut biome, the recommendation of that consuming around 25 gram of fibre a day is based on any reputable research.

Last edited:
Personally, when I had a month long carnivore experiment, I suffered from the diarrhea, and it didn't really get better in that time frame. Mostly otherwise I felt great, better than usual at that time.

Later on, with more personal experiments, I have found out I do best with a modest amount of fiber, preferably from vegetables or fruit.

I switched it up a little this morning. I had a couple eggs & toast before work and made my banana/protein powder/coffee smoothie for later today. Curious to see how I feel. Yesterday I felt like I was 9.5 months pregnant and severe stomach distention. That appears to have settled a bit overnight.

I switched it up a little this morning. I had a couple eggs & toast before work and made my banana/protein powder/coffee smoothie for later today. Curious to see how I feel. Yesterday I felt like I was 9.5 months pregnant and severe stomach distention. That appears to have settled a bit overnight.
The protein powder ALWAYS bloats me and makes me feel awful. Could be that if it continues.

I'm gonna drink it late morning as I take an early lunch. Usually I have the coffee/protein one first thing in the morning. I chose to go with the eggs to see how I feel.

I have to agree with @Snowman with his assessment but one factor no-one seems to have mentioned is your daily salt intake. When you increase your fluid intake rapidly it can change your NaCl levels which can have some undesirable effects. The Na (sodium) plays a critical role in the latter stages of intestinal absorption of H20 and diluting your diet with extra fluids low in sodium can have an effect on that balance. It also has a lesser effect on the acid balance in your stomach as the chloride molecules are needed to generate the HCL needed to kick off the digestive process.

When people change their diet & start juicing, they typically cut out a lot the processed crap which is high in salt and can start to go into a state where they aren't getting enough to keep things ticking along as normal until they adjust to the extra fluid intake. If that could be what you've done you could add some celery to your smoothies or a pinch of Celtic sea salt or Pakistani (Himalayan) rock salt and see how it goes. Simple table salt will do in a pinch but it's devoid of magnesium and other important elements.

As I said, what @Snowman wrote was the root of the issue but the NaCl levels relative to your fluid intake play a small role too.

Last edited:
Bloating is down, but my weight is up. Two smoothies/day. Eating a lot more early in the day... thats new for me. Perhaps my metabolism is changing? Sleep is different... not quite sure whether its better or worse... different. Thoughts on that??

Thanks for all the help so far.

I skipped the smoothies yesterday and I'm still bloated and gassy. I did have a large serving of fruit for lunch, though. We shall see how this plays out!
The amount of fructose in a smoothie made from whole fruit won't be any higher than what's in the fruit - not very much. But, it IS easy to make super rich drinks containing a lot more of everything than you'd be comfortable eating in the same time period.

My recommendation would be to reduce portion size, both of your raw fruit and any smoothies you make. Just look at what you're putting in before it all gets jumbled up and decide if that looks like a whopping big pile of food or a reasonable part of a meal.

Personally I like my fruit and veg in solid form, and my peanut butter, whey, walnuts, chocolate, oatmeal in smoothie form. Have also been known to throw some strong coffee or even a spoonful of instant into the blender.

Bloating is down, but my weight is up. Two smoothies/day. Eating a lot more early in the day... thats new for me. Perhaps my metabolism is changing? Sleep is different... not quite sure whether its better or worse... different. Thoughts on that??

Thanks for all the help so far.
Extra carbs. will hold more water, so you would notice a wt. increase from that. Also, if you have foods/powders in your smoothie that cause systemic inflammation ( for you ) that could effect sleep and increase weight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom