all posts post new thread

Kettlebell I finished Kettlebell Muscle!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
6 weeks in the books

Finished week 5 heavy day, strong. week 6 heavy day, got through the first 4 sets and had to re-strategize as I knew I wasn't going to make it the way the complex is drawn out.

Decided it was going to take me 65 seconds each to do the last 2 sets + 90 seconds rest would equal 220 seconds. With 10 exercises left, I needed to start a next exercise every 22 seconds. I was able to do the clean/press/squat that way, but needed to take a few more seconds rest to do the push presses and squats. Finished set 5, rested for 15 seconds, did the clean press squat, rested 30 seconds an finished with the last 2 exercises.

Figured it would have taken me 65 x 6 = 390 seconds. or 6:30 of work + 5 rest periods of 90 = 450 or 7:30 minutes. of resting.

7:30 + 6:30 is. 14:00. When I finished the 6 sets, the stop watch said 15:30. My heart was racing through the ROOF! Around 180

So from a complex standpoint, I failed the 6 sets, but from a density standpoint I did all the reps with 90 seconds extra
time doing the last 2 sets Rest/Pause style.

I've done this before with the Long Haul and The Basic from MKM at the end of the programs. Reps are better and because rest period are shorter, I'm not tightening up with lactic acid like I would sitting there for 90 seconds.

The lesson learned is, don't. fast the day before and get more carbs than you think you need. pre-workout. Last Friday after a day off on Thursday, I got through the 5 sets pretty easily.

Nice work! What kind of changes in body comp are you seeing at this point?

I'm a lot stronger and I feel my shoulders are getting wider because I'm basically pressing 90 lb. 25-40 reps 6 x a week and squatting 30-60 reps. Holding the rack is a great shoulder builder. 50-60 squats in 15 minutes or less are NO joke.

The 7 sets on medium day and easy day, I churned through really well, so from a conditioning standpoint, we're good.

I've been dirty bulking and need to eat a lot cleaner, which I've started yesterday with the fast. If I did it over again, I would have taken today off, eaten good carbs like sweet potato and beans and hit heavy day hard tomorrow. I definitely felt the lack of caloric energy today.

I know this is a muscle building program, but like the MKM programs, I think it would work great as a fat burning as well, if you ate clean and stripped carbs on off days. Decided to use the Burn Extreme diet choices in regard to food and meal timing.

Give me 3 weeks when I'm 190 and blowtorching fat and I'll like the body comp a lot better.

I've been doing. the cold showers. Luckily it's 75 degrees in New England so, jumping in a cold shower is refreshing!

Geoff, as you probably know that through your MKM programs, I've done a lot of the repetition vs. for time as a chain.

Have you ever tried the original Kettlebell Muscle, weeks 1-6 chain style?

I was thinking about yesterday's workout and how much more inefficient it would be because you're switching exercises each rep vs. getting in a groove and banging out 5 in a row as you would in a complex.

In MKM workouts, and let's say the reps are 6. Usually the first 3 times around the chain the reps are so crisp and smooth, 4th time around fatigue starts to set in a touch and by the 5th time the heart is pounding and you're like "what did I just get myself into?"

Honestly, I like chains better.

Geoff, as you probably know that through your MKM programs, I've done a lot of the repetition vs. for time as a chain.

Have you ever tried the original Kettlebell Muscle, weeks 1-6 chain style?

I was thinking about yesterday's workout and how much more inefficient it would be because you're switching exercises each rep vs. getting in a groove and banging out 5 in a row as you would in a complex.

In MKM workouts, and let's say the reps are 6. Usually the first 3 times around the chain the reps are so crisp and smooth, 4th time around fatigue starts to set in a touch and by the 5th time the heart is pounding and you're like "what did I just get myself into?"

Honestly, I like chains better.

@BrianCF ,
No, I haven't done it chain style.

I totally get why you like chains better - they definitely "take the pressure off".

All this talk about kettlebell complexes brought me to the first time I tried a complex with 1 single 20 kg kettlebell in like 2009 I think. I found on the internet a seemingly anonymous "Rapid Fat Loss Report" and it talked about complexes with a kettlebell. I remember it fairly well, 10 swings, 10 snatches, 5 c+p, 5 front squats then switch sides and start with 3 rounds with a 1:3 work to rest ratio eventually getting to 5 rounds and work on reducing the rest intervals. I tried it and thought it would be a joke. I thought the rest periods were too long.

Well, after 2 rounds with a "light" weight I was buried! My forearms were so tight I couldn't turn a doorknob comfortably! I realized complexes SUCK and would be effective.

About a year later I bought "Kettlebell Muscle " and realized the anonymous internet author of the "Rapid Fat Loss Report" was Geoff Neupert as there were sections in the book that were verbatim only obviously he was advocating double bell complexes. They were much shorter in duration but twice the "hit"! (Not to be confused with hiit ;))

I should revisit complexes as a program for keeping the "pudge" in check, especially as the colder weather is coming.

John, I still can't get over how you used 24's. The double snatch would be the enemy for me.

Week 7 in the books. Heavy day was only 3 sets. Torture. 150 seconds. rest flew by. Thank God for my day off tomorrow.

Finished the program yesterday with double 16s. First and foremost thank you Mr. @Geoff Neupert for writing such an amazing and time efficient program.

The program itself is physically demanding, even if individual sessions are "short". Packed on some muscle on upper traps, delts, torso gotten thicker as well as quads and glutes. Biggest improvement however occured in muscle density and improved work capacity.

What's next? Maybe gonna re-run the program with double 20s, work for that 1/2 BW Press ? Soju&Tuba, Modified ROP or double Press? KB STRONG! or any other double bell program from Mr. Neuperts books. I am also considering doing Easy Strenght with kettlebells with emphasis on double drills.

Finished the program yesterday with double 16s. First and foremost thank you Mr. @Geoff Neupert for writing such an amazing and time efficient program.

The program itself is physically demanding, even if individual sessions are "short". Packed on some muscle on upper traps, delts, torso gotten thicker as well as quads and glutes. Biggest improvement however occured in muscle density and improved work capacity.

What's next? Maybe gonna re-run the program with double 20s, work for that 1/2 BW Press ? Soju&Tuba, Modified ROP or double Press? KB STRONG! or any other double bell program from Mr. Neuperts books. I am also considering doing Easy Strenght with kettlebells with emphasis on double drills.

What would your goal be? What will help you make the wiser choice

What would your goal be? What will help you make the wiser choice

Thank you for the reply Sir.

Well my future goal pre covid an quarantine was 1/2 press and SFG II. My best press is 36 at aprox 84kg. So atm for sfg II and 1/2 it would be 40kg press. Am i right? (1 RM TGU 44, 40 for bent press).

I also Did KB Strong! With 2x28kg. Didnt test the max after program

However absolute strenght is not my strongest discipline. I am more of a strenght endurance type. I could do timeless Solid for swings with little effort and timed with few weeks of preparation. Timeless sinister for swings is hard but I could get there with 6-8 weeks of dedicated training.

Thank you for the reply Sir.

Well my future goal pre covid an quarantine was 1/2 press and SFG II. My best press is 36 at aprox 84kg. So atm for sfg II and 1/2 it would be 40kg press. Am i right? (1 RM TGU 44, 40 for bent press).

I also Did KB Strong! With 2x28kg. Didnt test the max after program

However absolute strenght is not my strongest discipline. I am more of a strenght endurance type. I could do timeless Solid for swings with little effort and timed with few weeks of preparation. Timeless sinister for swings is hard but I could get there with 6-8 weeks of dedicated training.

How many times can you press a 32??

@Shadow If I may add, I would try Hector G's clean and press program (I think 803A)... it's only 4 weeks but it's pretty good and would re acclimate you with multiple clean and presses. The reason I say this is because you already did phase 1 of Strong with 28s. I'm thinking if you got your groove back with the 28s you'd be ready to hit up the slow and steady phase 2 with them rather than 24s.

Just a thought.

@Shadow If I may add, I would try Hector G's clean and press program (I think 803A)... it's only 4 weeks but it's pretty good and would re acclimate you with multiple clean and presses. The reason I say this is because you already did phase 1 of Strong with 28s. I'm thinking if you got your groove back with the 28s you'd be ready to hit up the slow and steady phase 2 with them rather than 24s.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestions:) I am not familiar with Hector Gutierezz work but i would look it up. Which of his books or programs do i have to buy in order to find out about 803A. Gonna be honest moved to new flat in June and started new job from october 1st and since covid hit us... money as been tight. I already have acces to lot of the material by mr. Neupert. Therefore before i buy anything I need to consider all + and -

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom